Gti 180 review, you may not like

smokey said:
I think this road test is pretty fair, accept for the stupid comment about the reanults, lol.
http://xtramsn.co.nz/motoring/0,,6429-2897333,00.html
You could say it's a French thing, but that's not entirely fair. Take a look at the Clio Sport or new Megane and you'll see that Renault, already, does a superior job.

If you are referring to the above comment , I can't see anything overtly stupid about it, perhaps an inherent bias towards the marque, although the Megane has been a sales success after a very sluggish start (especially in the hatch shape) and even though I'm an RSC owner and therefore will have some bias, you can't begrudge the sporty Clio its dues. It has been praised by both the U.K. media and our own Aussie scribes for its dynamics and handling. Build quality is a joke :joker: , but the car is not about fit or finish. Just going fast on a windy road with xenons ablaze (if dark or the auto headlights have got a mind of their own!).

FFS you should stop getting all defensive about your cars, just enjoy the damn things by driving them whichever way you please - hard 'n fast or slow 'n easy (all within the speed limit of course, ;))

jester_fu said:
As for the MX5.. really, do you know a hair dresser or something?? :roflmao:
jester_fu, I found your post to be very lucid, and the sentence below pure gold! Hit the nail right on the head.
The comment about MX-5 was stereotypical. The MX-5/Miata deserves more respect than that. It is a sublime car to drive, underpowered perhaps but sooo much fun.

loosing some 'refinement' for every day travel, but gaining the balls to tear about the track like it was born there.

I'd be curious to know for those who think Julian is unfair, as to what you think of his article on the BA Falcon? http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2209/article.html

You just don't hear journos in the magazines and papers rubbish certain aspects of the car. It's good to see it highlighted as some things are just silly and need to be public highlighted.

KillerToad, I was kidding man. I like the clio, in fact I almost bought a used clio instead. If they improve the trim I would have one. Who knows if the 182 has a better trim I may trade in.

smokey, sorry for misunderstanding your jibe, didn't realise it was tongue in cheek (thats the bloody problem with the internuts, so hard to guage the tone of people's comments)

smokey said:
If they improve the trim I would have one. Who knows if the 182 has a better trim I may trade in.
Don't hold your breath. ;)
From what I've heard, nothing much has changed inside the cabin, cheap plastics and all...

Last edited:
jester_fu said:
so... does that mean you'll stop commenting about the 180 or every other car you haven't driven? Nah.. of course not. I didn't say i hadn't driven a current model MX5 (or an older one!)... you just assumed it and took offence to my joke. So, get over it. Geez, you guys are all to happy to call the 'new kid' 180 owners "precious"... but when push comes to shove, you're the worst of the bunch!

Nah I've actually driven the '180, are you blind or something? :confused:

You keep mentioning it, but it's about time you got over Lincoln's 'precious' comment. You are being a bit precious about it aren't you?

No I don't believe you've driven any mx5. It's the armchair drivers that subscribe to such stereotypes about the mx5. Anyone who's driven one knows better.

whats with the mx5?

I have driven one numerous times. 2002 model. Goes all right, handles ok, but certainly isnt a performance car, not a slug, feels about as quick as a 206gti138. I reckon it looks great though, I would rather a 206cc 2.0 but (even though its not as quick). Im not a fan of soft tops, but if I was to get one I reckon it would be the pick of the bunch in that price range. A GF has one and she loves it, drives around the hills and has lots of fun.

my :2cents:

I'll have to scan up a "best handling car" article that Autocar UK did about a year ago now. The MX5 won, beating a fleet of superminis such 206 GTI 180 through to Porsche 911s. The test was showing which car had the best handling at any price point at any skill level. It's an interesting article, especially since the UK press is so highly revered by some here.

And yes, you're all still being precious :evil: :evil: :D

Last edited:
please do gti124 ! that would be cool to read !

to be honest, I wouldnt rate it as good as any of the hot hatches people have here (ford, peugeot, renault, Ive driven most of them to some extent, accept the citroen xsara), but hey thats just an opinion. :confused:

I wasn't talking about the looks of the MX-5, just the handling. For me it is function before form.

Goes all right, handles ok, but certainly isnt a performance car, not a slug, feels about as quick as a 206gti138. I reckon it looks great though
smokey,
Handles OK? Just OK!?! :cry: Read up on the car, but since you've already driven one and not been overtly impressed, I don't think a journos opinion will change that, meh :confused:. Each to his own I suppose.
I seriously doubt it was driven enthusiastically enough, yes the MX-5s are down on the power stakes, and I haven't had the opportunity to drive a 'charged version BUT their handling is brilliant. Being RWD means more fun and keeps the purists happy.

to be honest, I wouldnt rate it as good as any of the hot hatches people have here
Which are all FWD , whilst the MX-5 is RWD. I love hot hatches, but there is only so much power you can put down through the front wheels.

==============

I know.. the MX5 is a very pretty car, and i give mazda full credit for designing a very enjoyable 'top down' traveler... I was only joking. It's not the car for me, partially because i'm 6'1", but it's very stylish. Mazda currently have some very nice looking cars on the road. I wish Toyota would close Lexus and make all their cars to the Lexus designs and standards.. as i think Mazda looks like they took the Eunos team, and employed them on the mazda cars. This current generation are some of the best looking cars on the road! IMHO
jester,
How long would you classify a generation (in car speak)? The MX-5 was first launched in 1989 and hasn't been changed all that much. Sure the body has been massaged and curved to keep up with the rest of the Mazda family, and those 80's pop-up headlights have been banished, but I can't see much of a resemblance between the MX5 and say the Mazda 2, 3 or 6.
Wasn't Eunos a name for Mazdas in the Jap domestic market? I'm not certain and could be wrong.

smokey said:
please do gti124 ! that would be cool to read !

to be honest, I wouldnt rate it as good as any of the hot hatches people have here (ford, peugeot, renault, Ive driven most of them to some extent, accept the citroen xsara), but hey thats just an opinion. :confused:

Yep, will let you know when I've done so. The hot hatches that I can remember were 206 GTI 180, Focus RS, Alfa 147 GTA (with A008Rs).

jester_fu said:
Each to their own, though... like you said, Mr Toad. It wasn't a car i was impressed with, and i have *my* reasons. But the opinion was formulated after driving the car, not based on some article. And to boot, my comments where never intended as an insult against the cars good qualities... hence the addition of the laughing guy face thingy.
Well it's an opinion and I've driven (in anger) a 1990 (1.6ltr, no power steering), 1999 (5 speed) and a 2003 (6speed) MX5 and I've had the same less then favourable response .. my biggest beef ... the car feels very flexable and not as sure footed on uneven surfaces ... we did back to back drives in the GTi138 and the MX5 and there is a big diff ... not saying the MX5 isn't fun. That low to the ground you get the illusion of going much faster then you are ... the gear throw in the 6sp is excellent, but it was not the car for me, despite the RWD fun to be had in it :confused:

- XTC206 -

:2cents: Apologies to the aficionados, but I'd have to agree that I always saw the MX5 as ... well, if not an out-and-out chick's car, at least much more of a "hey-look-at-me" car than a "watch-this" one. Anything that's as popular as it is in the US almost by definition isn't a hot performer, turbo or not (which to my mind puts it into a different market, in any case).

Is the GTi a harsh ride? Jeez, I hope so. :banana:

Being shorter in the wheelbase, it can't help but be harsher than the 306, though I'd never really thought about the comparison all that much till I started reading this thread, because they're both so good. Harsher is the way I prefer it, and I can live with the fact that many people don't share that preference :eek: ...

There is no doubt that the MX5 attracts a crowd because of it's looks, but this doesn't mean it's not a very very good driver's car. I could say exactly the same thing about 206s. Lots of chicks drive that car so it must be awful to drive! :rolleyes: