DS Tyres

F

French Fry

Looks like I'm ready for a set of tyres for the D, can anyone suggest options, I have always run Michelins 185 15XVS, but I believe they are hard to get and expensive. Also on the lookout for a new or good used front indicators.
Please reply to Chris (fry@logicworld.com.au)

There are no options.
Michelin designed the 'X', the world's first radial tyre for the Citroen DS.

gibgib said:
He has probaby gone through 2 sets since this post :eek:

Hehe, French Fry was my original login on AF. Changed ISP and forgot my password so re-joined using GB :wink2:

The D is lucky to get a 1000k a year so the new XVS I put on back then in 2000 are as good as new. The indicator lights I bought new from Roger Parker.

All is good, thanks for your prompt reply tomsheppard lol :D

Cheers
Chris

tomsheppard said:
There are no options.
Michelin designed the 'X', the world's first radial tyre for the Citroen DS.
There are actually "acceptable" alternatives available in Australia for daily use cars, Hankook and Kumho make them and they retail for around $100 each. However for those who want to maintain originality, you can now buy XVSs from a mob in Melbourne (cue Paul Smith to advise) for about $230 each.

French Fry said:
Looks like I'm ready for a set of tyres for the D, can anyone suggest options, I have always run Michelins 185 15XVS, but I believe they are hard to get and expensive. Also on the lookout for a new or good used front indicators.
Please reply to Chris (fry@logicworld.com.au)

Hi Chris, this is bizarre to me. :eek: :banana:
Your name is Chris, it looks like your surname is Fry, and you are French. All that is fair enough.
When I was a kid there was this family that lived at the end of the street. (Biarritz Ave, Beaumaris ,Victoria) They were on the corner in Church st. Their name was FRY, they were FRENCH, and their youngest son was Chris. There was an older brother called Roger, and a white German Shepherd called Baron.
I can't remember if any of them ever had a Citroen. I think they drove more boring cars like renaults, but I do remember Roger had a "new"Valient Regal Panel van in the late 70s.
Maybe Mr Fry owned a Ds but I just can't remember. And I think I would definately remember seeing one of those in our street.
A few years after that Phil Myers, the pilot in Cherbourg Ave had a DS for a few years. He used to park it around the corner in Monaco Cresent.
Cheers...George. :cheers:

Last edited:
The French Connection

George 1/8th said:
Hi Chris, this is bizarre to me. :eek: :banana:
Your name is Chris, it looks like your surname is Fry, and you are French. All that is fair enough.

Right on the first two but no I'm not French, arrived with my parents from the UK in 1965 :wink2: French Fry?? well it just seemed right at the time :D

My only connection with Melbourne is through my wife a Hampton/Brighton girl.

Cheers
Chris

UFO said:
There are actually "acceptable" alternatives available in Australia for daily use cars, Hankook and Kumho make them

I wondered why no one had mentioned these. I haven't driven it in the wet, but a certain DS23 seems to ride ok on its Hankooks (it even has a Kumho spare if I'm not mistaken).

It probably wouldn't be my first choice, but seeing how hard the Michelins seem to be to get hold of, maybe a decent enough option :confused:

GreenBlood said:
Right on the first two but no I'm not French, arrived with my parents from the UK in 1965 :wink2: French Fry?? well it just seemed right at the time :D

My only connection with Melbourne is through my wife a Hampton/Brighton girl.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris, well, if you ever end up with a white German Shepherd you might call it Baron.
Your wife is from Brighton...where I was born.
Cheers...George. :cheers: :crazy: :banana:

With many thanks to Paul Smith for the heads-up, I recently ordered 2 Michelin XVSs for my DS from Stuckey Tyre Service in Melbourne http://www.stuckey.com.au/ @ $231 each. These people were very friendly and helpful. Delivery is expected to be sometime before the end of the year. Stuckey also plan to have these tyres as a stock item. :)

Tyres for DS

I drove on Michelin XVS for years before working up the courage to try another brand. At the time, I went across to the Kleber v!2, which gave comparable wear, better handling, and eliminated the highly indiscreet squealing that those michelins gave off under enthusiastic cornering. Never looked back.
Kleber tyres were killed off as an effective option in Australia after Michelin bought Kleber and put the prices up by 20% (Bob Jane eventually stopped stocking them).
These days, I run my Xantia and BX on Kuhmo tyres (at less than half the price of the Michelin equivalents), and am satisfied with their quality, performance and compatability with the later Citroens.
The myth about Citroens running badly on any tyre but Michelin was invented by Michelin (who used to own a large shareholding in Citroen).
Michelin make good tyres (especially the more expensive models), but the unique advantage they had in the 1950s is long gone.
When I researched Kuhmo tyres, I got the impression that they had initially got up to speed by buying technology from Michelin, and then did their own development through active participation in racing.