Renault Clio - European Car of the Year

GTI124

who? when? huh?
1000+ Posts
Can't find a link to send you, but just received an email from Automotive News announcing that Renault has won Euro COTY ahead of then new Passat. Congrats!

This is an interesting result, and surprising after skimming through the judges individual comments.

It seems the Clio has a crook power steering setup. What a shame! I guess it won't matter to the majority of buyers though.

I would have thought the C1/107/Aygo trio might have won.

Congratulations Renault:banana: :headbang: :cheers:

Guess we now await the resident VW guru to tell us why they never won, bet it was poor judging?:joker:

macquered said:
This is an interesting result, and surprising after skimming through the judges individual comments.

It seems the Clio has a crook power steering setup. What a shame! I guess it won't matter to the majority of buyers though.

I would have thought the C1/107/Aygo trio might have won.

Yeah, the overwhelming negative still seems to be the electro assist steering...

The rest of the car seems to be brilliant...hopefully they can make a running change to sort it out.

One of the reviewers seemed to indicate that it may be a component problem as some cars seem very good whilst others are shite...

I wonder what the steering on the RCS will be like?

Well done to the "Diamond" crew...nice one! I have to laugh then at the Top Gear Survey about French cars being so bad...........

307 - COTY in 2002 (?)
Clio - COTY in 2006

Go figure............................................

Renault has now won it 6 times:
Clio III - 2006
Mégane II - 2003
Scénic I - 1997
Clio I - 1991
9 - 1982
16 - 1966

Citroën:
XM - 1990
CX - 1975
GS - 1971

Peugeot:
307 - 2002
405 - 1988
504 - 1969

Europa said:
Don't confuse it with the Peugeot 107 or Citroen C1 - they actually ARE the Echo (Yaris)

Not quite - the Toyota sister to the 107 & C1 is the Toyota Aygo.

speaking of which, did you guys know the Oz delivery Golf GTIs Mk V are made in Sth Africa?!!!!

so much for paying the premium for german cars. when my friends tell the French don't make good cars, I tell them neither do the South Africans, coz that's where we get the Corolla, 3-series, C-class and now Golf GTI! At least I can say my Renault Clio and Meganes were made in France, no buts about it!

I mean if I am forking out close to $60k for a German marque, the least I want is for it to be made in Germany! ok, maybe if my German marque came with machine guns and rocket launchers due to the Sth African assembly, I might forgive them :)

blue2th said:
speaking of which, did you guys know the Oz delivery Golf GTIs Mk V are made in Sth Africa?!!!!
IMO, nothing beats a Japanese built car for build quality. Compare the panel gaps on a Honda with a 407. The French still have a lot to learn.

yes, i agree, the jap built cars are much better put together. but they generally tend to be bland and un-exciting, unlike the model they get domestically.

blue2th said:
I mean if I am forking out close to $60k for a German marque, the least I want is for it to be made in Germany!

If there's next to no difference in quality of a South African assembled BMW compared with a German one - is it really that important?

Pug307 said:
If there's next to no difference in quality of a South African assembled BMW compared with a German one - is it really that important?
Not to most of us, but to purists I suppose it would be like owning a Brazillian/other country assmebled 'froggie'.
It would, as you say depend on the build quality. Does anyone know where the current batch of Meganes that are in Mexico are assembled? I saw one new frog when we were in California recently and I am told it would have been Mex registered. It was a current model Megane sedan

from experience in Malaysia, the local assembled 3 series versus the German imported 3 series has a noticeable difference in the quality and feel.

the imported laguna felt a lot better put together than the local assembled 3 series and yet the price difference was huge! (malaysian excise and duty is applied at a higher rate for a fully imported model versus local assembled)

I haven't been on a 3 series here too many times to compare the quality of SA assembled and German assembled 3 series.