R8 1100 Extractors and Inlet Manofold WTB

R8philSA

Fellow Frogger
Hi there

Just wondering if there is anybody out there that might have a set of extractors and an inlet manifold to suit a side draft webber for my 1964 R8 1100 (8 port head), all advice and comments greatly received.

Also looking for a new set of rear disc pads as recent inspection has revealed a sad story!!

Cheers
R8philSA :banana:

Hi there

Just wondering if there is anybody out there that might have a set of extractors and an inlet manifold to suit a side draft webber for my 1964 R8 1100 (8 port head), all advice and comments greatly received.

Also looking for a new set of rear disc pads as recent inspection has revealed a sad story!!

Cheers

On manifolds: easy to fabricate a crap one that has one throat of the Weber serving 1&2 & the other 3&4, but I imagine that you've after a Lynx cross-over one (that pairs 1&4 & 2&3). A bit rare but try a search on Google (for 'Lynx manifolds'). I had heard that some remanufacture was going on but can't imagine that a Sierra motor manifold would be a high priority.

On disc pads: I thought that Ken still had them at Caravelle. I also thought that fronts could be made to fit (or is it rears can be made to fit fonts?). Also, try Jacques in the U.S..

cheers! Peter

Hi there

Cheers

Re: brake pads. Rears will fit on the front but not vice-versa.

It is hard to find those for the old 8 port heads. Maybe better to make 1 or have 1 made. The other option is to get a new R9 R11 head and use a Datsun 1200/1400 manifold, but that will be for twin sidedraughts. There will be some head skimming involved (as well as another cam) to get the compression ratio back to a decent figure. Extractors can be made as well by a good exhaust shop. Sorry but it won't be straight sailing unless you are very lucky to get a set that you need.

Disc pads are easy. I can get plenty rear ones here in NZ for about NZ$30.00. They are the Bendix brand. They can be used as fronts without mods. The difference are FRONTS....they have an additional block moulded in the friction material at the 2 ends. REARS.....they are parallel straight through. Fronts can not be used at the back because these extra blocks prevents the little handbrake lever to operate.

If you are desperate they will work if the block is sanded down.

Regards
Frans

R11 head

G/DAY ALL,
Sorry to hyjack this thread but Frans can you tell me is the R11 head a straight bolt on and will it fit a 1.4 (ie will the alternator mounts fit and are the waterpumps the same ) also what compression ratio would they be without shaveing as i'm thinking for this motor i want to supercharge,
and lastly where would i get one?
Cheers Peter.

Although the Lynx manifolds are correct in the way that each pulse is on opposite throat of the sidedraft, the run of the port is terrible as on one side the air virtually hits a brick wall. French Car Care in Brisbane made up some better shaped manifolds that do two pulses on one side before going to the other, and having tried and tuned both, the two pulse manifold worked better. I also found the two pulse manifold idled nicer.

Peter,
We'll carry on with the hyjack.......The R9 and R11 had a CR of 9.25:1. This is on a 76x77mm bore and stroke. If you mount it on another 1400 such as the R12's 1400 the CR will obviously remain the same. I meant that R8philSA would have a 1100 which will not match for CR. The R9/R11 combustion chamber is around 37cc. I hope that will help.
Yes it is a direct bolt on with the waterpump the same as on the R8 and the alternator bracket mountings are the same as on the R12.
Regards
Frans.

Although the Lynx manifolds are correct in the way that each pulse is on opposite throat of the sidedraft, the run of the port is terrible as on one side the air virtually hits a brick wall. French Car Care in Brisbane made up some better shaped manifolds that do two pulses on one side before going to the other, and having tried and tuned both, the two pulse manifold worked better. I also found the two pulse manifold idled nicer.

Interesting; do they still make them up (presumably as ordered)?

Ditto. I bought a set back in around 2003. I spoke to them at the 2010 Alpine expo and they said they had none and that the guy who used to cast them for them had retired. They ummed and arred about whether they still had the moulds, which they still thought they had though.

Caravelle at one stage had a pulsed lynx copy for sale, but I think they too have not any for a number of years.

There looks like there could be a reasonable market for single and twin manifolds for the Sierra engines if someone talented wanted to put their mind to it. Luckily I have one of each of the singles, but I'm looking to have a twin manifold made up.

KB

Ditto. I bought a set back in around 2003. I spoke to them at the 2010 Alpine expo and they said they had none and that the guy who used to cast them for them had retired. They ummed and arred about whether they still had the moulds, which they still thought they had though.

Caravelle at one stage had a pulsed lynx copy for sale, but I think they too have not any for a number of years.

There looks like there could be a reasonable market for single and twin manifolds for the Sierra engines if someone talented wanted to put their mind to it. Luckily I have one of each of the singles, but I'm looking to have a twin manifold made up.

KB

Twins are dead easy - just cut & shut & weld from tube & plate. Singles have to realistically be cast; so, if anyone is willing to donate a Q one as a master & anyone knows a caster who's willing & there are enough buyers who'll upfront a deposit..... .

Trouble is that A.F. doesn't have a reassuring history of these enthusiasms culminating in anything.
Peter

I too am also chasing a set of rear pads. Ken at Caravell is currently out of stock and isn't expecting any for a few weeks.

I too am also chasing a set of rear pads. Ken at Caravell is currently out of stock and isn't expecting any for a few weeks.

Total Hijack. I bought EBC R8/10 pads from Slacks Creek Brake and Clutch some years ago, and certainly R8 pads are available from Mecaparts and Melun Passion? in France. Should be here in a week or so.

R8/R10 brake pads

search 'renault R8 brake' at global.ebay.com

Be careful when you buy as some simca ones are thicker, I recently ordered a set that came in at close to 12-13mm per pad when the standard is 10mm - left no room for the disc so they were useless to me. Apparently some other cars have the same pattern but use thicker material.

That said, I've bought front and rear sets in the last month, both for under $60 delivered from the US, and arrived within two weeks. I have one shop in the US compiling a list of available R8/R10 parts which he is going to send to me (so he says), though apparently the majority of his stock was sold off in bulk to Mexico and he only has the dreggs left.

Last edited:
I did a bit of a back to back comparison today (not an exact science as the DCOE was changed as well). I went from the Brisbane Car Care single manifold with 40DCOE, to a Lynx copy with 45DCOE. Here are my initial thoughts. This is my "bum" dyno driving the same bit of road yesterday with the 40DCOE and today with the 45DCOE and manifold swap:

Two Pulse - Idle was OK. Not as much torque down low, but brilliant from 4500 to 6500. There is not as much power down low, then a truck load once the cam (A6) comes in above 4500.

Pulsed cross-over - Idle was a little better. Definitely better linear torque down low, not as much mid range flat spot compared to the initial manifold but not as much power up high. A much nicer car to drive around town with this manifold but the loss of top end is noticeable.

As soon as I can get a twin manifold fabricated, twin 40DCOE's will be going on - hopefully that will give me the best of both worlds.

The Photo's show the difference in manifolds. An older photo of the non-crossover manifold and today's pulsed photo:

Attachments

• DSCN1605.jpg
    DSCN1605.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,066
  • KBR10engine.jpg
    KBR10engine.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 2,309
I did a bit of a back to back comparison today (not an exact science as the DCOE was changed as well). I went from the Brisbane Car Care single manifold with 40DCOE, to a Lynx copy with 45DCOE. Here are my initial thoughts. This is my "bum" dyno driving the same bit of road yesterday with the 40DCOE and today with the 45DCOE and manifold swap:

Two Pulse - Idle was OK. Not as much torque down low, but brilliant from 4500 to 6500. There is not as much power down low, then a truck load once the cam (A6) comes in above 4500.

Pulsed cross-over - Idle was a little better. Definitely better linear torque down low, not as much mid range flat spot compared to the initial manifold but not as much power up high. A much nicer car to drive around town with this manifold but the loss of top end is noticeable.

As soon as I can get a twin manifold fabricated, twin 40DCOE's will be going on - hopefully that will give me the best of both worlds.

The Photo's show the difference in manifolds. An older photo of the non-crossover manifold and today's pulsed photo:

Interesting. One recommendation that I'd make when you go to twins is a cold air box with a K & N panel filter fed through the radiator surround.

Lynx (edit - Unifilter) look like they have a nice air box on their website, but it just a filterbox and not a cold air box as such. Just have to make sure it is not too deep to fit between carbs and inner panel?
KB

Last edited:
Why didn't you use the 45 with the two pulse manifold, instead of the 40. My "bum" dyno I have found to be somewhat inaccurate when there is a lack of low down, as it always seems to feel like like the top end is very good. Time it between say 40-80Klm in 2nd to better determine performance. Seat of the pants does work well on driveability though. What jetting and choke changes were there between the carbs.

Hi Alan!
it was mainly to see if it would increase the low down torque and drive ability, which it appears it has. I've found the two pulse struggles down low and needs 3/4 to full throttle to get it moving. I found with the a6 cam and springs in this new motor that it didn't have enough grunt for my liking off cam. I'm hoping the twins if I ever get them on will have both the low down torque and drive ability, and the top end.

I did contemplate just changing the weber but was too eager to get the new manifold on than to stuff around swapping out webers.

The 45 has 36 chokes in it and the 40 34's, but apart from that I didn't do a full check on what it had (it came off another 1.4) so I figured it would run ok until I can get Dave Collier to check the setup.

one thing I did notice though is that quite apart from the "wall" you spoke about on the lynx copy manifold, the ports are only just a shade under 40mm so a 45 DCOE has turbulent entrance at best anyhow.
KB