WTB Fiamm air horns

Leconte

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi any & all,

I would like to buy a set of Fiamm air horns, the older ones with metal trumpets from the 50s 60s 70s notably fitted on Fiats of the day 124s, 2300s etc. As far as I can tell the trumpets then were aluminium and typically painted red or vlue.

Compressor and horns. Anyone got any or parts thereof? Ideally looking for the twin sound ones aka alpine horns or tour de france horns. High-low altrnating tones. Multiple outputs on the compressor, like the Fiamm Roadmaster series (as fitted to Ferrari among others).

Not plastic horns and la cucaracha newfangled stuff.

cheers leconte

I went through sets of those long ago. The horns were fairly exposed up front and used to corrode, not only outside, but at the diaphragm as well, so into the bin.

I think I have some,Finding in my collection could take lot of time,plus testing of course,have been really crook tho'
what sort of money doe you have in mind. baz

I went through sets of those long ago. The horns were fairly exposed up front and used to corrode, not only outside, but at the diaphragm as well, so into the bin.

Thanks seasink, I have heard that so would be looking for something tried and working. Although a working compressor could be paired up with horns from another source.

regards, leconte

every citroen cx sold in australia has a set .......... You usually need to spray wd40 through the trumpets and they'll start working (there must be a valve in them that seizes up). I wouldn't use them as an "only" horn, they are to slow to spool up and sound. Probably only 1->2 seconds... but it seems like a lifetime when your about to crash into something.

P1030463.jpg

seeya,
Shane L.

I think I have some,Finding in my collection could take lot of time,plus testing of course,have been really crook tho'
what sort of money doe you have in mind. baz

Hi Baz, hard to say really, when chasing old car parts (off and on for 40 years) I have mostly paid way too much for a lot of junk, but also picked up a few bargains, not many. If you can find something, I am interested at a fair price for good working ones so then lets talk. What are they worth to you sitting at the back of your shed? I've got a lot of stuff (SWMBO says far, far too much) in that category :crazy: Get better soon!

Cheers leconte

every citroen cx sold in australia has a set .......... You usually need to spray wd40 through the trumpets and they'll start working (there must be a valve in them that seizes up). I wouldn't use them as an "only" horn, they are to slow to spool up and sound. Probably only 1->2 seconds... but it seems like a lifetime when your about to crash into something.

P1030463.jpg

seeya,
Shane L.

Hi Shane, well I didn't know that! So there should be plenty floating around Cit & AF circles. Are those trumpets metal on the CX (bit early for plastic)? I am after a compressor with the multiple air outlets but would start with a working regular set.

I am thinking of retaining the standard ones and having a switch to switch over to airhorns by choice. Like when motoring through the Vic alps, or Tasmania, or entering Cit club event locations.

:banana:

Der Franzose had them a while ago

This may be helpful if you get a non working set - think that they had bits/spare horns as well

I have a set with one dead horn, not sure whether I will fix and re-install yet ( depends upon other decisions about what has to fit in that space )

If none of the other offers come through with a better set, I may be able to help, but you would have to do some fixing

I ran them on Pugsley (404) for 27 years. They were always very effective and are worth the effort if you have the room - very useful alternative to brakes :)

Andrew

Hi Shane, well I didn't know that! So there should be plenty floating around Cit & AF circles. Are those trumpets metal on the CX (bit early for plastic)? I am after a compressor with the multiple air outlets but would start with a working regular set.

I am thinking of retaining the standard ones and having a switch to switch over to airhorns by choice. Like when motoring through the Vic alps, or Tasmania, or entering Cit club event locations.

Der Franzose had them a while ago

This may be helpful if you get a non working set - think that they had bits/spare horns as well

I have a set with one dead horn, not sure whether I will fix and re-install yet ( depends upon other decisions about what has to fit in that space )

If none of the other offers come through with a better set, I may be able to help, but you would have to do some fixing

I ran them on Pugsley (404) for 27 years. They were always very effective and are worth the effort if you have the room - very useful alternative to brakes :)

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I will see where my various enquiries lead. All these threads of supposed rolling restoration take a lot of time. Your comment re brakes is apt, that is the next major weakness on my car to be addressed (underway as we write) but yes, an impressive early warning device would be more than handy.

Out of interest, did your compressor have one air output or more than one?

regards leconte

The compressors are all single outlet with a "T" too the trumpets. The factory wired them through a two stage switch. You press lightly on the horn switch on your get the standard (loud) horn, press harder and you cut in the air horns as well. They sound a bit like a freight train :D

I think CX's went to plastic trumpets in the mid 80's, so most should be metal.

seeya,
Shane L.

Here's what I am looking for, but on a traction...looks like fun to me :joker:

i

Yes, I know multiple tones are not legal as the primary horn in Victoria but with careful use of Y-connectors, you can sound them at once (twin horns as opposed to alternating ones) = legal as required.

Last edited:
They look like this on a late DS and are correct for this 1974 DS23:

DS23_Horns.JPG

Note the Y-piece in the air hoses and one compressor outlet only. A relay is behind it and the sheathed white wire runs across from the +ve terminal at the battery to the relay. No fuse originally, but it's smart to add a spade fuse inline near the battery. Scotfrog has created diagrams for the air horn harness and brackets if you want to DIY.

They often don't work because debris has made it's way inside and stops the diaphragm from vibrating. The compressors have a little capped oil hole on top and easy to overlook.

Hi Leconte

One outlet with a tee fitting. Blanked this off when one horn died ( ?diaphragm )

Probably fixable but haven't got around to it ( it is buried under pile of No 1 and No 2 son's various projects ! )

Andrew

I had an 405 mi 16 peugeot that had horns like that, they looked as though they were standard, pugs