Wheels 2005 Tyre Test

you can't get those dunlops below 16", are you running after market wheels for these tyres?

I'm personally a Dunlop fan, so I'd say give them a go and let us know!

Otherwise, the trampio Gu:wn Toyo would be a good every day tyre, the T1R and T1S are their higher performing tyre which would wear a bit quicker and give you more grins when you're really gunning it.

GTI124 said:
Otherwise, the trampio Gu:wn Toyo would be a good every day tyre, the T1R and T1S are their higher performing tyre which would wear a bit quicker and give you more grins when you're really gunning it.

The dude at the tyre place said the dunlops could be gotten in 15s, but i wouldn't be suprised if he was wrong...

Otherwise, i think i will give the toyos a burl. They will be purely for day to day so at the price they are i don't think i can go wrong.

Thanks for all the advice, it's been very helpful.

I has a set of toyos put on over the weekend... They stick well, but seem more noisy than the michelins that came off. The noise doesn't really worry me, but i thought it was interesting.

Otherwise, i'm slightly pissed off at the mess tyrepower made of my rim... They stuck little chrome silver weights over the face of a couple of the rims, so now it looks like i've glued some bling onto my wheels... I've never noticed this before on other cars... is there an alternative?

Yeah, they normally stick them on the inside of the rim, behind the spokes.

Take em back & get them to re-do it.... then slap em ;)

Anyone know what's a reasonable price for the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s in a 205/55 R16? They seem to be very expensive here in Tassie.

Also, anyone tried the Goodyear Revspec RS-02s or Dunlop SP Sport 3000As? Are they any good?

Thanks

toyos

I've got t1s on mine for nearly 3 years (they're finished now). Change front to back and vise versa every 10000 kms. The front end just loves to eat into the tyres- quite soft compound. They're quite noisy but they've saved me from smashing the car a few times (too hot into corners, lift off over steer). I paid $260 each. How prices have changed! :cry:

nate said:
Yeah, they normally stick them on the inside of the rim, behind the spokes.

Take em back & get them to re-do it.... then slap em ;)

I just spoke to the guys and they said that the front is the only place to put them... Is this a load of bs?

He also rambled on about how if they fall off it would look dodgy if they fall off (i think it looks more dodgy with them stuck on...) and encourage you to get the missing weight replaced.

If they fell off it would feel dodgy, not look it.

Some rims can't have weights placed on the inside, but if the 405's wheels are anything like the 205's, you can easily get them placed on the inside. I've seen a buttload of 405's kicking around with no visible weights, and it would be silly to think they were perfectly balanced without them...

an old school method of balancing them out be to put some ball bearings inside the wheel... it will automatically balance the tyre...

I rang around today looking for Toyo T1rs and all said they are sold out and dont know when the next delivery will be. Their prices also varied from 230 at Bob jane Artarmon to 198 at Austrlias's best. Bit expensive I thought.

Does anybody know a reliable stockist I can talk to, my clio needs tires.

al said:
I just spoke to the guys and they said that the front is the only place to put them... Is this a load of bs?

He also rambled on about how if they fall off it would look dodgy if they fall off (i think it looks more dodgy with them stuck on...) and encourage you to get the missing weight replaced.

Yep, BS.

Parry, derek got his Toyos at Marks & Wallings (West Ryde)

GTI124 said:

Yep, I concur. There is nowhere to put balance weights on the outside rim of the wheels on my car, and there is clearance issues with putting them on the inside rim at the back (someone else's experience).

Stick-on is the only way to go for my rims, and they haven't fallen off yet.

qd180 said:
BJT are the only tyre stores stocking Maxxis and the top spec tyre in 205/40/17 84W is the MA - V1....@ 150.00 per corner

The tyre tested in the wheels mag is the MA - Z1 (in the larger size 235/45R17 ) which from what i understand is one rung higher in spec than the MA - V1

The Dealer @ blacktown i spoke to advised that in the 205/40/17 they didnt have the MA-Z1 listed only the MA-V1

Sorry if thats a little confusing but the gist is in for 180 owers we cant get the Top Maxxis tyre tested due to the fact they dont bring it in the size required :cry: :cry:

I guess you could still go for the MA-V1 thoug....

I rang Bob Jane too - The lowdown is that Wheels, in their wisdom, have decided that only the top model of each tyre company should be tested. In the Maxxis case it was MA-Z1. Of course, the MA-Z1 isn't imported into Australia - only the MA-V1 is. Wheels imported 16 tyres specifically for it apparently.

Nice one Wheels :nownow:

LeighO said:
I rang Bob Jane too - The lowdown is that Wheels, in their wisdom, have decided that only the top model of each tyre company should be tested. In the Maxxis case it was MA-Z1. Of course, the MA-Z1 isn't imported into Australia - only the MA-V1 is. Wheels imported 16 tyres specifically for it apparently.

Nice one Wheels :nownow:

Sounds like BS to me too.

Considering Rodney James was the actual test driver in the test and Bob Jane the tyre supplier, I highly doubt Wheels imported their own. Call Bob Jane HO.

GTI124 said:

Bs or not the bastards are standing by their guns and refusing to rectify the problem... I already have brake dust building up around the weights that is hard to get off, and they also aren't getting any prettier...

Can i just pull them off and stick them to the inside, or should i pay a pro to fix the situation?

al said:
Bs or not the bastards are standing by their guns and refusing to rectify the problem... I already have brake dust building up around the weights that is hard to get off, and they also aren't getting any prettier...

Can i just pull them off and stick them to the inside, or should i pay a pro to fix the situation?

Go to a different shop.

Just had some wheels swaped around and have clearence issues with brakes. The tyre guy put low profile stick on weights on and they did the trick.
Jo