Update CD needed please...

Brute Force, does the new drive need to be configured as a slave, as was said earlier?

Thanks Little Frogger. Greg is an owner of the business, and runs Service there, When they can't fix it, things can get tough. Brute Force seems to be onto the problem.

If you are getting the message to insert an upgrade CD, then you basically need to replace the hard drive thats inside the radio/CD
It's not that hard really, you will need a replacement 30-40gig 2.5" HDD.
They were originally fitted with a HDD made for vehicles such as Hitachi Endurostar J4K30 or a Toshiba MK3029GAC both with 30gig capacity.
These are hard to find and quite expensive now, so maybe try a cheap 30gig HDD from ebay to make sure it all works before you spend up big. Can't be a SATA drive though, must be the old style ISA connector.
You will also need the upgrade files (previously linked) and a way to burn them onto a CD.

To take the drive out there are 4 holes in the radio unit, 2 each side. I made a couple of tools from an old metal coat hanger.
Just shape it into 2 U-bends with the tails the same length so that you can push them into the holes, 2 on each side.
This will release the radio.
disconnect all the wiring and have a nice bench to sit it on.
Take it apart, you will need a small Torx bit (can't remember the size) 4 screws like so.

Then lift out the CD player.

This reveals the HDD.
Simply replace it and put it back together.
Re-fit to the vehicle.
When it starts up it will again ask for an update CD.
Just stick the CD in that you burned previously and it should update automatically.
It will take 20-30mins to do so make sure you have the engine running otherwise the radio will go to sleep and it won't update.

Have fun.
Thank you, I really appreciate your guidance, it's just a tad overwhelming, as I have no expertise in the area 😕. I'm not sure what I'll do at this point. I'd just as soon not dump the car, but I am completely out of my depth here. Previously I wouldn't have been the one in charge of the repairs and maintenance, and it's a steep learning curve.
Is this update going to fix the issue with the sensors? I'm not really sure what other issues exist,as this is an upgrade vehicle from my 2004 c5 and I am not sure what should be there. The owners manual covers a few models and I am not sure what came standard with the vehicle. (Yup, paddling in the deep end with a little paddle and nothing else)

The CD I linked earlier may not be the right one for your car, it's specific to the RT/4 radio unit.
It does fix the sensors though on my 2011 C5 X7.
If you can identify what radio unit you have, I may be able to find the correct update for you.

Bernie

The CD I linked earlier may not be the right one for your car, it's specific to the RT/4 radio unit.
It does fix the sensors though on my 2011 C5 X7.
If you can identify what radio unit you have, I may be able to find the correct update for you.

Bernie
As usual the file is too large to attach the picture of the radio. My daughter's reassure me that the radio in the car is not any of the ones in the manual

Attachments

• IMG_20230704_134408.jpg
    IMG_20230704_134408.jpg
    843.2 KB · Views: 66
Looks very much the same as my RT/4

It may be an earlier model though?
I don't have time to search for you at present, I'll try later on though.
Bernie

It's an RT4 and is probably in the handbook under Navigation or Telematics. There are two units listed by the factory with a different coloured face and needing configuration. Nero (Black) you can buy, but not the 'Matinal' (grey/beige) version apparently. Presumably an order ex-France and in any case it's a crazy $6-7K new. Used could be an option, but the hard drive might be ropey too. Trying to replace the hard drive and reload the software would be an option worth trying and could be the lowest cost. Some have successfully replaced a failed internal hard drive with a compact flash card via an adapter card. Here is a very handy explanation and it's probably worth a try. Seasink and a few others here might happily digest it and offer some suggestions. There are a number of comments about setting the slave vs master status and partitioning the drive, but this is apparently done for you by the update CD.
https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/rt4-compact-flash-upgrade.60050/

Last edited:
RT4 with GSM.....brings back 2G memories. Is it worth putting a second hand black one in if can be found not corroded in a wreck and recode VIN and if it works swap the cover plate which will be a few screws and a ribbon cable??

That was an interesting and valuable read.

Does anyone know the file system used on these car hard drives? Is it an old Windows-readable FAT system?

The author's friend probably used a Linux boot disc so that he could read and write all common file systems. Any bootable rescue CD or USB stick will do, you don't necessarily need full system install media, but they will also do the job. He didn't mention mounting the devices in Linux on the computer. Most systems would start unmounted, but it's usually a just GUI click these days.

The upgrade CD did the new partitioning and file system creation for him, which simplified this process a lot.

.I was a little put off by his bending of some pins. Extra jumpers might have insulated them.

A laptop was used, but fiddling with drives is less bother with a desktop, as these are designed for extra hardware to be fitted.

It's an RT4 and is probably in the handbook under Navigation or Telematics. There are two units listed by the factory with a different coloured face and needing configuration. Nero (Black) you can buy, but not the 'Matinal' (grey/beige) version apparently. Presumably an order ex-France and in any case it's a crazy $6-7K new. Used could be an option, but the hard drive might be ropey too. Trying to replace the hard drive and reload the software would be an option worth trying and could be the lowest cost. Some have successfully replaced a failed internal hard drive with a compact flash card via an adapter card. Here is a very handy explanation and it's probably worth a try. Seasink and a few others here might happily digest it and offer some suggestions. There are a number of comments about setting the slave vs master status and partitioning the drive, but this is apparently done for you by the update CD.
https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/rt4-compact-flash-upgrade.60050/
Much appreciated information, need to digest and find a friend who has the right mindset. Thank you for your help 🙏👍

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions, I'll get to looking for a used radio or find an appropriate flash drive and adaptor. Hopefully I can report back with a success story.

Just in case anyone else is interested, I have found a download for the 8.31 Update CD.
I haven't used it yet, but if anyone else needs it I can upload it to my DropBox for you.

I'll update my results as I progress.

Cheers,
Hi bro i needs the link software 8.31. Thanks