Tyres For The D9 406

Peter C

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
The time has come again for new tyres.

I currently have Michelin Energy XM2 fitted. Given my driving is pretty sedate, I'm not really up on what tyre does what best. I'm after tyres that perform well with good longevity. Probably what most people want, I suppose.

A look around on the net shows BF Goodrich Advantage Control at $110 each from Costco, which seems a good price. Michellin XM2 from Jax at $160 is about the cheapest I could find.

Anyone know what the BF Goodrich Advantage Control tyres are like? I've always had Michelins, but am considering jumping ship in view of the price difference.

I have been running Michelin Primacy on my 406s, both sedans and coupes, and have been extremely impressed with them. Roadholding not far below the Pilots, but much, much longer lifespan - 60,000kms from one set on a 406.

I've found that the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires work well for my D9 406. They offer a comfortable ride, excellent traction, and long-lasting durability. Plus, they perform well in various weather conditions, which is important for me as I drive in different environments throughout the year.

Having the size would help, as would knowing the importance you place on wet performance.

I have been running Michelin Primacy on my 406s, both sedans and coupes, and have been extremely impressed with them. Roadholding not far below the Pilots, but much, much longer lifespan - 60,000kms from one set on a 406.
What size rims Scotty?

I’ve been trying a couple of different Continental tyres over the past few years on my two D9s.

The earlier model has 15” rims whilst the newer one has 16” rims.

I have had good wear and the tyres have either not needed balancing, or have needed only a very small weight.

The wet weather grip is good.

Reactions: cjl
There seems to be a much better choice for the 16" rims.

There seems to be a much better choice for the 16" rims.
That probably means it is a more common size, that's all. But some of the offerings are rather questionable, to say the least!

The other thing I forgot to mention about the Continental tyres is that they have generally been a quiet tyre.

Sorry, I should've been specific in my first post. The existing tyres are 195 65 R15.

Do you know what model the Continental tyres are?

Cost is a big factor, although I obviously want good performance for my, as mentioned in my earlier post, somewhat limited kilometres driven these days.

I will to need to get new tyres very soon as the existing ones are down to about 1or 2 mm above the wear bars. Would've been better to sort this out earlier.

Sorry, I should've been specific in my first post. The existing tyres are 195 65 R15.
That's the size on my 1999 model HDi.

Do you know what model the Continental tyres are?
Without going outside and looking at the car, no. I'll try and remember to do that early tomorrow.

Cost is a big factor, although I obviously want good performance for my, as mentioned in my earlier post, somewhat limited kilometres driven these days.

I will to need to get new tyres very soon as the existing ones are down to about 1or 2 mm above the wear bars. Would've been better to sort this out earlier.
1 to 2mm? You've got a couple of thousand kilometres left in them, at least!

Thanks. 195/65-15 is a common size with good stuff available. In the absence of guidance I'm going to assume that wet grip (the emergency swerve/brake) is a priority.
I would avoid BFG as they prioritise longevity (which is of no interest to you & still, despite clever compound chemists, opposed to wet grip).

My daughter's Corolla takes this size & after ASAP getting rid of the near-new but frighteningly gripless "Pace" rubbish it came with, I've fitted two types. One, the Conti PC5, is no longer available in oz in this size (a pity, it's a lovely tyre). The available Contis in this size, CC7 & EC6, I'd dodge on mediocre wet grip grounds (high fuel efficiency is also opposed to wet grip).
I replaced the PC5 with Dunlop's FM800 (which I was familiar with from my RERs). This is a very good wet grip tyre with benign limit behaviour & has been frequently offered on a "4 for the price of 3" deal. Jax lists them for $185 & Bob Jane will beat that (they don't list them but I've bought from BJ).
The FM800 is my pick of the field.

Depending on age from manufacturing date (I note that they're the obsolete XM2 & your use of the car is low), your current tyres at 2.6-3.6 mm depth (the bars are 1.6) are not a candidate for urgent replacement & I'd wait to see if Dunlop does a promo for June.

What else? A few candidates:

Bridgestone's Turanza T005 & Michelin's PS4 ST are very good tyres but cost more than the FM800 for no benefit. But each might be the subject of a promo deal in June & that would put them in contention.

Nothing cheaper than the FM800 attracts on my "wet grip" criterion although the XM2+ is currently on a promo to be available for $160. Are they good enough to justify saving $100 over the FM800 for a set of 4? Not in my judgement but YMMV on the price/quality trade-off.

You apparently currently have its predecessor, the XM2, fitted & would know how happy you are with their wet grip in situations where you want your tyres to be part of the solution, not the problem. I have, in the past, recommended against the XM2 on wet grip grounds. However, with no change in pattern or structure, the upgrade of the XM2 to XM2+ has involved a promising-sounding compound upgrade. This allows the tread elements "rubber" to better conform with, & lock into, the micro-texture of the road. This is just what one wants of a compound for wet grip.
I don't know how well this has been done as the only test I've seen of it was a release-time comparison in wet-braking with two mediocre competitors: Conti's EC6 & Bridgestone's EP 150. The XM2+ won but . . . . .
Still, it's the only decentish tyre that's currently cheaper than the FM800.

So, you can take the XM2+ promo now or wait to see what June brings. This might be no promo for FM800 or PS4ST or T005. Ditto for July. And you would then have missed the XM2+ deal.

I'd wait & if no relevant promo, I'd get the FM800 & consider the extra 100 well spent but, again, YMMV.

My forgettory was working last night.

I have the Continentals only on the later 406. There are both UC7 and PC6. I don't think that the PC6 is available in Australia in Peugeot 406 sizes.

I must have been very short of cash when I last bought tyres for the early D9. I'm almost too embarrassed to say what tyres are on there! Yet, surprisingly, despite their low price and not great reputation, they have given me good service both in terms of handling and longevity.

The 307 has Starfire tyres which I thought I had been told when considering various tyres was made by Bridgestone. When I searched just now to confirm my recollection, it seems that they're made by Cooper Tires. I certainly don't recall being told that!

I must drive more sedately that @4cvgordini because I've not experienced the mediocre wet grip.

I'll back 4cvgordini on the Dunlop FM800s. I have them now on a C5 and a C4, and am changing a Pug an axle at a time. Excellent and more affordable than most of the top group.

On driving in the wet: the issue is not how much one fangs (&, yes, I do fang) but what happens when an emergency is thrust upon one (the errant child or, even worse, dog - sorry, I'm a speciesist).
When I get a set of unfamiliar tyres, & despite what I've read of them, after a couple of hundred km I do two things in appropriate wet circumstances: a crash stop & an emergency lane change. I then have some idea of what I'd be having to cope with.

The PC6 is excellent except for struggling in deep water (cured with the PC7). The UC7 (& UC6) are not as well compounded for the wet &, depending on what else was available, I'd not choose them.

On Starfire tyres: no known tests & only two (wildly differing) reviews on one tyre type. (If info is this sparse, I tend to take more note of the "spirited" reviewers as they are more likely to have had the tyre "in extremis".)

cheers! Peter

I try for good Continentals ( especially love the PC2 ) but sizing/availability are now an issue, use them on 404 and 4CV

Can back Peter‘s comments on the Dunlop FM800 - I have them on the 240z, which can easily provoke misbehaviour, whether wanted or unwanted, and have found them to have good grip in wet and to be informative in an „are you really sure you want to keep doing this?“ kind of way, at least on bitumen.

Not as good on loose dirt, when they need a little more thought, but so do most tyres. HAve recently had an unplanned botanical research expedition, but his was largely due to dopey driver(moi) so probably unfair to blame the tyres

I would have no reservations about the FM800

Andrew

Good description.

It prompts me to recall that years ago I did a geological survey. I made an excursion to retrieve some excellent samples from a cliff.

Ah yes. My beloved investigated the topology during a school pickup and didn’t notice until I asked “what did you do to my car?” Goodbye bumper clips.

I'm using the BFG Control tyres 195 65 15, on my 505 Regularity Rally Car. They work great for my purpose, plenty of grip and lasting very well, haven't noticed any problems in the wet, unlike Diamondbacks and Nexcens to name 2. They have a very deep tread and square edges on the tread which suits my purpose fine. May go to Costco for more, that price seems very good.