XAS..?

ZsC48YK.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/citroenazu/7774357900/

Matthew :)

All early, all different.

2asAwgD.jpg

All Australian delivered.

All passed away. :(

. . .and another that didn't make it, I recently came across these photos of a car I drove but was more often a passenger in during the early '70's - can't help but think at what point the owner decided it was no longer a feasible restoration :(

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• DS19 1.jpg
    DS19 1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 769
  • DS19 2.jpg
    DS19 2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 697
  • DS19 3.jpg
    DS19 3.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 737
Even now, there would probably be some useful parts on that one, Chris.

Roger

I know the owner had a huge cleanup about 12 months ago, not sure of the fate of the remains of the car, and sadly many others - tragic :cry:

I can however say I had the pleasure of experiencing one of the pinnacles of Citroen past - nothing since has compared :)

Cheers
Chris

Chris, was that in Arthur's backyard?

I didn't want to say, but yes :cry:

To Arthur's defense, I'd suggest that at the time that the car needed serious work the network we have available now didn't exist for parts, even through the likes of Maxim's. Sadly it is typical of this style of collection(s), the owner's place more value on the cars/ parts than the market can sustain, ultimately the value diminishes and the cars/ parts are scrapped.

To be honest, I don't know if the car has been destroyed, you may like to follow up?

Cheers
Chris

Sad - and gum leaves are meant to contain antioxidants - not enough apparently....

I didn't want to say, but yes :cry:

To Arthur's defense, I'd suggest that at the time that the car needed serious work the network we have available now didn't exist for parts, even through the likes of Maxim's. Sadly it is typical of this style of collection(s), the owner's place more value on the cars/ parts than the market can sustain, ultimately the value diminishes and the cars/ parts are scrapped.

To be honest, I don't know if the car has been destroyed, you may like to follow up?

Cheers
Chris

I recall Rob T mentioning a clean-up sometime ago...

As Roger noted, there's lots of salvageable pieces there. It's a '58?? Look at the thickness of the glass on the doors! My '57 didn't have the original glass on the back doors if my mem'ry serves me well.

Haven't driven my ID in a month as it's been sitting in the in-laws shed since before Xmas. Hope it starts up tomorrow! :cheers:

I recall Rob T mentioning a clean-up sometime ago...

As Roger noted, there's lots of salvageable pieces there. It's a '58?? Look at the thickness of the glass on the doors! My '57 didn't have the original glass on the back doors if my mem'ry serves me well.

Haven't driven my ID in a month as it's been sitting in the in-laws shed since before Xmas. Hope it starts up tomorrow! :cheers:

The steering wheel at the time the photos were taken was in remarkable condition.

attachment.php

It certainly is a reminder that any remedial work we do to our cars is important in maintaining the history of Citroen in Australia. :wink2:

Your ID will start and be thrilled for an outing, I don't have a car to take but this could be worth a visit on Saturday...

Yes Chris, you got it in one.
Photo was taken by Richard Egglesfield so I can't claim it as one of mine. Bayside had its mid-week run to All Hallows last Thursday. High tea and a tour of that magnificent Centre.
By the way are you coming to Baydise Aust Day Rally at Ormistion State School on Saturday. free breakfast and 5/600 cars. Full details at baysideclub.org.au if you are interested.
Cheers. Kevin

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• DS19 4.jpg
    DS19 4.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 697
Is there any room on AF for a database that members can add information to? The longstroke DS/ID register could certainly benefit from something like this. Many cars have changed hands or have disappeared off the face of the continent since the last update was done.

When Bruce H pulled up the list of Citroens registered in QLD, I was shocked to find so (bloody) few are on the road but I did notice a jericho trompetted D which I never knew existed!

The Bayside Restorer's Club outing sounds like fun; I work almost every weekend (for the money, mostly) and have done so for years, so I won't be able to attend.

aahh yes, cars we knew of but did nothing about. ready to claim knowledge of and now it's all but rooted! that's what its all about!

The one that got away....to pastures green, wet and rather cold. This is our 52 year old girl, after a few face-lifts and number plates. I hope to get her finished this year (ha, ha, ha....).

Sorry about the quality of some of the pics (old slides digitised).

Cheers,

Bernard

Attachments

• P1040033.jpg
    P1040033.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 335
  • P1040034.jpg
    P1040034.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 318
  • P1040036.jpg
    P1040036.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 307
  • P1040037.jpg
    P1040037.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 306
  • P1040038.jpg
    P1040038.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 326
  • P1040039.jpg
    P1040039.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 334
Is there any room on AF for a database that members can add information to? The longstroke DS/ID register could certainly benefit from something like this. Many cars have changed hands or have disappeared off the face of the continent since the last update was done.

When Bruce H pulled up the list of Citroens registered in QLD, I was shocked to find so (bloody) few are on the road but I did notice a jericho trompetted D which I never knew existed!

The Bayside Restorer's Club outing sounds like fun; I work almost every weekend (for the money, mostly) and have done so for years, so I won't be able to attend.

Plenty of room Donat, take a look at a couple of threads by Mike Tippet in the Peugeot forum:-
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86055
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85039

A huge amount of work as these are worldwide figures, where he can Mike has provided photos of the actual cars. Not to be taken lightly, Mike is updating almost weekly - as I say a huge task even for Australian delivered cars, but certainly would be a real asset to the forum.

aahh yes, cars we knew of but did nothing about. ready to claim knowledge of and now it's all but rooted! that's what its all about!

Wow Michael, could you have fitted more bitterness and vitriol into one small sentence?

The above car was never on the market, it was never for sale, it was always intended as a retirement project, those that knew of it were content in the knowledge it could not have been in safer hands. The owner's circumstances changed and this car along with many others didn't make it. The photos were provided by a friend when asked if he knew what became of the car.

What it's all about? Nothing more than sharing a brief encounter with Australian Citroen history, and posted in good will.

Cheers
Chris

A taste of things to come.... :tongue: mmmmwaaahahahahaahah!!

4Xj9LBW.jpg

kZsJaV2.jpg

Q8ogGW6.jpg

Note the earlier style headrest mount... I discovered my seats had the inner tubes for the fitting so purchased the plastic guide tubes that just slot in and the headrest slides firmly into the holes. I prefer this look as the new seat covers will have the stiched ribbing running over the top of the seat back and I didn't want it covered by the wide style headrest.

Matthew :)

le dinosaure et le bébé

Took the ID out for the first time since last year (a month ago, actually) from the shed in Rosewood (out in the sticks).

With a quick pump of the accelerator pedal and two turns at starting it without the choke I was off to Toowoomba for lunch and back to Rosewood via Laidley and Grandchester. An elderly gent with an early C5 bearing the numberplate DEANNA passed me as did many others (except the convoy of trucks heading up the range) as it cruised along. Having driven down in the SM to get there, they really are worlds apart in every way. Still not sure which I prefer if I had to pick one. Also not sure which one to take to Griffith this year!

Here's a photo of the dinosaur and the baby from today:

smid_zpsca15537e.jpg

Took the ID out for the first time since last year (a month ago, actually) from the shed in Rosewood (out in the sticks).

With a quick pump of the accelerator pedal and two turns at starting it without the choke I was off to Toowoomba for lunch and back to Rosewood via Laidley and Grandchester. An elderly gent with an early C5 bearing the numberplate DEANNA passed me as did many others (except the convoy of trucks heading up the range) as it cruised along. Having driven down in the SM to get there, they really are worlds apart in every way. Still not sure which I prefer if I had to pick one. Also not sure which one to take to Griffith this year!

Here's a photo of the dinosaur and the baby from today:

smid_zpsca15537e.jpg

What a beautiful photo Donat. Here's two that DID make it and are in fine hands. They look a million bucks, enjoy. I'd vote for harriet (just) but I am biased to IDs...

Cheers,
Leconte

IMG_0686.jpg
All early, all different.

2asAwgD.jpg

All Australian delivered.

Hi Richo,

Was intrigued by these and had to have a look at mine, as it is sitting on the floor! And lo & behold, yet another different one. DS in red but without the punctuation mark but with the 'No'. From a Sluff built 57 DS.

Regards,

Danny

Last edited:
Most intriguing Danny, yet another variation in a short period.
The earliest numbered plate is probably from a '56.
Shame is that I unfortunately didn't retain the data. The plates, to me at least, are attractive in their own right.

Thanks for sharing yours.

Hi Richo

Yes, one of the many interesting details. The engine nos are quite intriguing are they are all over the place on early Slough cars and don't seem to follow. I remember once reading that there was an engine room at Slough where they were put whilst the bodies were painted and trimmed. Of course engines kept arriving from Paris and pushed in so the earlier ones got further from the door.

As bodies were finished they just grabbed the unit nearest the door to fit and slowly moved through them all. However it meant that numerically higher numbers ended up in earlier cars and vice versa,earlier motors in later bodies. An interesting story from someone who worked there, no way of course of confirming it nowadays but it does explain the apparent randomness.

Regards,

Danny