Suspension pump.

tasie C5

Fellow Frogger
My C5 X7 SUSPENSION SOPPED WORKING. IT'S STUCK IN LOWEST LEVEL. LIMITED TO 90KM/HR.
I REPLACED THE SUSPENSION FUSE BUT NO MOVEMENT WHEN I STARTED UP. I SUSPECT THE FUSE HAS BLOWN AGAIN.
I WONDER IF THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE MOTOR BRUSHES CARBON WEAR (DUST) CAUSING A SHORT IN THE MOTOR.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ACCESS THE BRUSH END OF THE MOTOR TO CLEAN IT OUT WITHOUT REMOVING THE WHOLE PUMP ASSEMBLY.
EG. ACCESSING THE PUMP MOTOR VIA THE FRONT WHEEL ARCH. ALLAN

Have you seen the Elis Davies method?

Yes Seasink. I've downloaded the page. The thing I wanted to avoid was the removal of the complete unit and hoped the commutator end of the motor would be easy to access and clean without removing the unit.
I'm in Bunbury WA and I'm visiting relatives so have no workshop facilities. I may have to drive to Perth. The car instructs that it should not exceed 90km. Wonder if driving 2.5 hours with he suspension as it is will do further damage.

The pump was removed and cleaned. The comm. was a complete mess totally clogged with a pasty mass of carbon. The unit was fitted back in place and the fuse blew again. The pump had shorted out internally. During the removal of the motor, the car was jacked up and the suspension extended causing some spillage of fluid. The car in now completely down on the bump stops.
I have located a used pump unit with a 3 months guarantee so hope to get it installed soon.
When it is fitted, is there any precautions that need to be taken?

If you are replacing the motor with hydraulic pump/accumulator and reservoir, you will need to pressurise the filled reservoir to get the pump to prime to start with.

Cheers, Ken

Hi, hope the replacement unit solves your problem, you may have missed the replies on French car forum!

Hello Hydrac. Thanks, so do I. Yes I've seen the French forum. Very helpful. This must be a fairly common fault. There was little actual wear on the field, armature and commutator, but the hydraulic fluid had seeped in somehow to cause the fault. The area around the unit was damp from the fluid. Leaking pipe connection, no gaskets ?.

The drive from the electric motor is inserted into the pump shaft. The shaft has an oil seal. I put a section diagram at

This might be informative. The operator removed the drive and left the seal in its housing at the very end of the video.

Is there a follow-up for the reassembly? Or a very short one where the pile of parts is swept off the bench into a bin?
Anyone have any idea about the initial charge of that accumulator in the end of the pump? I guess many will be flat now given the age of the vehicles.

If relief is 180 bars, the small pump accumulator will have comparable pressure when new. It's to absorb the small pump element spikes.

I doubt it would be charged to 180 Bar static pressure. That exceeds the fill pressure of most N2 cylinders. The standard pressure accumulator in most later LHM Citroens has a 62Bar static charge, so I'd think it wold be more like that, but would rise in use. I don't recall seeing a figure for this but it would be useful if someone is pulling this pump apart with a view to reassembly.

Translating the text that goes with the pump section, and as accompaniment to the disassembly video:

The integrated unit has the following elements:
- An electric motor driving the hydraulic pump
- A pump with 5 axial pistons
- An anti-pulsation accumulator and flow regulator
- 4 solenoid valves, 2 per axle
- The suspension computer
- 2 pressure maintenance valves
- 6 filters for hydraulic fluid, upstream and downstream of the solenoid valves
- 1 pressure relief valve

The valves. Input on the right sending pressure to the suspension;
Lowering on the left releasing suspension pressure to the reservoir;.

The text hasn't copied well, but lower right is the high pressure input from the pump;
Left upper is return to the reservoir;
Left lower is to the suspension.
clapets.png

Attachments

• clapets.png
    clapets.png
    198.2 KB · Views: 2