repatriating australian frogs

Steven King

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
today, page 1077 of the Caradisiac thread ' Photos-anciennes-avec-des-anciennes!!!! ' had;
large.2077253057_AUS-VIC-MtWaverley-1.jpg.5be2266c184a9b8c50c2d052fff6ef7b.jpg
large.AUS-NSW-Sydney-a54.jpg.ae766020b69103c28f546ec0c68d6cc1.jpg

Tom Ugly's.
Georges River.

Last edited:
No. Tom Ugly's was built in 1929.

Iron Cove being newer, opened in 1955, does not use riveted fabricated sections. It is also broader.

Tom Ugly's has longer spans. It is a late work by the great bridge designer, Percy Allen.

Spot the white R16 in the Chadstone photo. Strange, but I can’t see a single SUV, apart from the Renault, although I did see one station wagon, apart from the Renault.

Great photo of the 203 on the bridge. Thanks for posting.

Or rather ' guillaume403-404 ' that i should have thanked for finding them ... also it was page 1199 of that thread

The same spot today. There are now two bridges, side by side. The single bridge used to be rather crowded in peak periods. Sutherland Shire in the background.
tom-uglys.png

Where are all the expected Holdens in the Sydney photo?

Where is the rutted road? The only clue is NSW plates. Even the Hume Hwy had bits like this the 50s.

the 203 trying to get past the SUV - something to do with the Snowy River Scheme?

I doubt it. Such roads were common then. If someone can identify the trees we'll have a clue. It isn't a coastal forest. The cut and fill looks recent.

I have driven my own Landie over this stuff.

Drivers out of landrover/203 & rear wheels/ruts indicate probably lr backed up to pull 203 hard up to bank, out.

If that was a rover 75 behind the 203 (its not !) it could be boydie and myself out on a jaunt....I was also trying to date the shopping centre car park. The HG puts it at 1970 at least but I think I spy a 120Y in the second row which could make it 72,73. Thats a XA wagon in the 3rd row. Wish I had better eye sight.

In the 50s much of the Hume to Melbourne was gravel, and parts, particularly around Gundagai to Tarcutta were formed on earth. In wet weather the semis simply destroyed the road, so a bulldozer or grader would make a new earth road on the side. In the next rain the arrangement was reversed. There were delays while something was done.

The Redex trials used this route, allegedly Australia's principal highway, as a horror stretch. It compared more than "favourably" with the track from Alice Springs to Kingoonya in SA. There is a motorway now.

Many 60s highways were no more developed. I used to travel on the Oxley Highway, inland to Port Macquarie over the Great Dividing range, and as well as gates to open and close, the road was sometimes two tracks across paddocks. Nearer the coast in the forest the timber lorries left massive ruts. Much harder to negotiate in wet weather was the highway across the Liverpool Plain. It was unpaved on black soil country.