R8G speedo drive needed

bgbiteme

Fellow Frogger
My original plastic right-hand speedo drive for my R8G is buggered and I am losing gearbox fluid, even though I've tried multiple times to seal it. Can anyone sell me a good 2nd hand R8G speedo drive? I've checked with Renault Gearbox Guru Rob Sealy and he doesn't have any.

Reactions: COL
There is an "O" ring on the outside and a seal that runs on the inside, a trip to you local friendly hydraulic supplier to get a replacement "O" ring and seal is probably all you need.

Also available here:

There is also an odd size garter type seal inside the plastic bung that the gear drive runs in, this will also need replacing to make it oiltight.

Reactions: COL
The actual gear drive shaft, can get a groove worn in it as it gets older, has dirt in it and the seal gets harder. The seal is a standard size seal I get from my seal/bearing suppliers. They also do the O ring. I always a matter of course replace the gear shaft with a new one each box I build. It is a part of the box that is prone to leaks. I find the plastic bung is never the problem, unless some previous worker has been ham fisted.

Ray

The actual gear drive shaft, can get a groove worn in it as it gets older, has dirt in it and the seal gets harder. The seal is a standard size seal I get from my seal/bearing suppliers. They also do the O ring. I always a matter of course replace the gear shaft with a new one each box I build. It is a part of the box that is prone to leaks. I find the plastic bung is never the problem, unless some previous worker has been ham fisted.

Ray
I probably need to address exactly this matter in my spare gearbox! Never really thought about that seal! A new gear is a good idea too! Thanks all for this part of the thread...