R16 Nonstop to Darwin and Back

Thanks John

What a great feat, wonder if it could be repeated with modern Pugs or Reno, hmmmm thinks aloud!
Thanks for posting these, what an epic test!

What a great feat, wonder if it could be repeated with modern Pugs or Reno, hmmmm thinks aloud!
Thanks for posting these, what an epic test!

Nah! Don't think anyone could drive for that long anymore! :crazy:

How do you change an oil filter with the engine running?

I guessing some sort of add on attachment to the flange where the oil can be blanked off to allow the change?

Dave

Remote twin filters with a bypass cock would be the simplest. Still, would be a trifle messy and hot!

Kim
I don't who the dude in the threads is. But the car looks SA registration and photo background looks like the Administrator's House on The Esplanade in Darwin. Circa 1976

Whoever it is, I find it hard to believe he posed in Darwin in 1976 wearing long trousers and a tie. In my experience, shorts and long socks were de rigeur in that period.

Checking out a post from Simon on the Triple Anniversary thread it turns out that the drivers of the non-stop Adelaide-Darwin-Adelaide R16 TS were Tony Goode, Neville Edwards, Randall Smith and John Marsh. It was also the same R16TS that completed the S.A. reliability event in March of that year (1972) two months prior.

Can anyone find images of the any of the four drivers above and also one of Peter Tait (Renault S.A.) to try and solve the mystery of the gentleman in the photograph?

Checking out a post from Simon on the Triple Anniversary thread it turns out that the drivers of the non-stop Adelaide-Darwin-Adelaide R16 TS were Tony Goode, Neville Edwards, Randall Smith and John Marsh. It was also the same R16TS that completed the S.A. reliability event in March of that year (1972) two months prior.

Can anyone find images of the any of the four drivers above and also one of Peter Tait (Renault S.A.) to try and solve the mystery of the gentleman in the photograph?

Why not telephone Tony Goode and ask him? I hadn't heard he wasn't with us. I know he's retired - Simon might have contact details. He used to live near Eagle on the Hill.

Simon, This original post from Kim Luck with the jpg is my late father John March who was the service manager at the time for Renault Aust. as Ashford and I think the jpg was taken in the dlrship car park, he was also the driving force behind the 7days 7 nights run around the old Grand Prix track at Woodside. I also have in my possession the news paper articles on the Adelaide to Darwin run which he drove the leg with Co-driver Darwin to Adelaide and reported in the newspaper as being interviewed by Channel 9 Adelaide.

Thanks Marchy, you've answered my 40+ year old question. I don't remember how I came to be in possession of the photo all those years ago but the un-named gentleman has eluded me all this time!

It would be good to see more photo's or clippings from either event if you could provide them!

The dude in the slick threads has been identified. I spoke to Randall Smith this morning and he identified him as John March who with Neville Edwards drove the car back from Darwin. Randall and Tony Goode drove the car non stop to Darwin where the car was serviced while driving around the old Bagot Park Speedway.
The car was sold to my brother Robin, who traded his yellow R8 Gordini R1135 on it.
After handing the car over to John and Neville for the return trip, the dealer in Darwin, a very jovial german named George Dirr took Tony and Randall, together with my wife and me, for a meal and a few?? drinks at the German Club. It was a great reunion for us who had all been in the Renault Car Club in SA a year earlier.