problems with AL4 automatic gearbox in a 2004 206 1.4

I found a 206 1.4 with autobox pretty close, came up for sale 3 hours after I confirmed breaking the oilpump. The engine also is said to be "ok", so I might even swap all of it over instead of taking just the box.
Once again, thanks, you guys have been a massive help, as opposed to the european (french) forums!

isn't she a beauty? Because it was going to get scrapped they took an angle grinder to the exhaust manifold, also cut the radiator hoses, powersteering, even the fricking oil level plug... Engine only had 150k km, so might even swap that in too :)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 08.46.57_5ce83d37.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 08.46.57_5ce83d37.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 19
Hi everyone, it's me again, with another al4 question :oops:
The gearshift pattern is different between our car and the donor car, is that going to be a problem?
Our car is the one with a manual + and - sign, the donor is the one with the manual 3 and 2...

A different question, might not be the right place, but it seems you guys are a quite knowledgeable bunch:
The seller removed the catalytic converter by just angle grinding through the exhaust manifold... Now small iron swarf etc has obviously gone into the cilinders, any good way to get this out? Would be a shame not to use this 150k km engine and use our 284k engine...

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 20.37.18_d7f381eb.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 20.37.18_d7f381eb.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 27
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 20.37.18_4e7ae6e2.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-05 at 20.37.18_4e7ae6e2.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 21
I've decided against using that engine, the oilpan was also damaged with the angle grinder. Also, the oil was brown, so I'm going to scrap that engine. I've got everything sort of together, the gearbox does go in drive, hopefully tomorrow a real testdrive

well, not good :( This box feels like it's slipping between gears, and after a few minutes snow and sport sign :( Havent linked up peugeot planet yet, but I'm almost ready to throw in the towel :(

You'll need to change the oil and reset the oil counter to clear the errors plus you have another valve body to swap. Read the errors 1st before you go too far.

connected peugeot planet today, low oil pressure across the board. at idle in P it should be 2.7, it's 2.3. In reverse with some throttle it should be 11.4, it's 8.4. In D with some throttle it should be 9.1, it's 6.25.
I did also have an intermittent fault : - Intermittent fault. Slip (clutch / brakes) => But the car has been running on jack stand for a while, would that cause this error?
I think I will swap over the valvebody from my oil-pump broken box over to this one, do you guys agree?

If your original VB has had the main solenoids replaced then the swap over is worth while. Also check oil pressure sensor wiring on this replacement is not damaged worn causing extra resistance from sensor to TCU (transmission ECU)

Its possible the clutches are worn but get some mileage on it to confirm.

Have you the correct oil level and cleared the counter now as oil pressure is only a little below which could be a number of internal seal leaks etc which causes the brake bands and clutches to slip.

Which torque converter did you install?

Don't know if the original box has had the main solenoids replaced yet, but swapping them over seems like a good idea.
I haven't opened this "new" box yet, so also haven't checked the oil level yet. I installed the torque converter that was already with this box, because my own "old" torque converter had some superficial damage on the shaft, And I installed the box with the TQ still attached to the box. More checking this weekend.

ok, apparently not this weekend, had to do some garden stuff. Did however order 8 liters of Mobil LT 71141. Also drove the 206CC some more, and the gearbox errors were less and less frequent... So I think an oilchange will fix that one, and hopefully an oilchange + solenoid change will fix our daily 206...

That's possibly the solution, see if oil pressure increased after change. Well done on the gardening 🙊

keeping the wife happy can be even harder than fixing an al4, so I think I did well ;) I have a set of new solenoids on the way too, so might even wait for those to get delivered :)

well, did the oil change on the 206cc. when I tried to check the level at 60 degrees, not a drop came out... So pulled the drain plug, and only got about a liter out of it! No wonder it had problems holding 4th gear ;) For the daily 206 I will go the new solenoids route, and hopefully will know in about a week. Too much to do, too little time, you know the drill :(

first tried to do the oil change to see if that would get our daily rolling, but alas, no dice. Even though it was low by 2 liters, topping of and resetting the oil counter did nothing, it immediately "slipped" when going from first to second, and a minute later I already got the snow/sport error, and diagnostics said oil pressure low. So next up is the solenoid switch. I took the valvebody from my "old" gearbox, fitted the solenoids to that one, and will switcharoo the whole thing. Also tried to take the bellhouse of the oild box to get access to the oil pump (just in case), but 1 bolt didn't budge... These %^$%^* french and their stupid torx bolts, why not make it 13mm head so you can actually put some power in it :(

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-04 at 22.10.09_86a80fcf.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-04 at 22.10.09_86a80fcf.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 16
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-05-04 at 22.10.09_b82104db.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-04 at 22.10.09_b82104db.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 13
Hmm you are testing yourself out. I hope your luck improves.
Regarding those pesky Torx head screws. In the modern car world they are KING. They work better in automated production than hex heads or other types. So get used to them and buy a professional quality set of bits that will do the job. Torx certifies the use of their brand for approved quality bits to suit. Cheap Chinese tool bits for use in battery tools are not high quality steel and you risk stripping the heads out.

I bought a set 20 years ago of bits with a 10mm hex and adaptors for 3/8", 1/2" drives, when I bought a C5 and realised there were new style heads. And i bought a set of hand screwdrive types also. Still going 20 years later and done quite a bit of work and not one failed.
I have removed head studs recessed in holes with the biggest bits and was worried the bit might break due to the force required to break the initial stiction, but they removed them all. All cars have these Torx drive now or sometimes other spline drives. My set has all the types I hope, hex, 2x spline types, Torx and some that I have never used.
cheers jaahn

Last edited:
I do believe that cheap tool makers from other countries have a "brother/cousin" o_Othat changed his name to 'chrome vanadium' so they cannot be sued for putting "his initials" on the tools.:unsure: "drop forged" is another "brother/cousin" name often found on cheap stuff, usually castings ! :rolleyes:
Jaahn

I just changed out the solenoids, idle oil pressure is fine now, pressure at revs and in gear isn't. I give up.
Thank you all for all the help