Peugeot 505 GTI - V6 conversion

Demannu

Demannu-facturing!
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi everyone,

Stashed away in my shed for the past few years has been a 1987 505 GTi automatic sedan, in grey. It has zero rust, is straight as a die, and has an immaculate grey interior. The clear coat is a bit tired, but other than that it is a nice, clean car.

I've decided it's time to put it on the road, but to give it a bit of a lift first. So, I have decided to install a V6 and convert to manual. I'm not building a racecar here, I just think that a stock V6 running stock engine management through a 5 speed gearbox would just be a lovely thing.

So as to avoid too much clutter in the shed, I'm building up the replacement drivetrain before even moving the car down to the main shed. Hopefully this will mean I will be able to just swap drivetrains in a very short time.

The engine I am fitting is a 3.0 litre PRV V6 from a 605. I will run the standard 605 engine management system, and apart from swapping the lower sections over with those from a 604 engine, moving the distributor from the back of the head to the front, and some modifications to the inlet tract to physically fit it into the 505 engine bay, the whole engine will be standard. The only change I want to make is to swap over the positions of the alternator and the power steering pump, so that the pump is on the same side as the power steering rack, and the alternator is on the same side as the battery and starter. I would also like to preserve the serpentine belt setup from the 605 as much as possible.

The gearbox is a RHD BA10/5 from a 604. The flywheel I imported from Spain, and is from a 605 SV24 manual. I will have to drill the bellhousing to accept the crank angle sensor. I have bought a new Quaife LSD to help the back end behave.

I have set up this thread as somewhere to dump photos of the process, so watch this space!

The first photo: The very filthy 605 engine awaiting preparation:
1710463614144.png

As engine not from a 505, you will need an Engineer's certificate to register and insure car on the road
Also need to look at suspension mods for weight changes
Contact Castlemaine Rod Shop, they are so helpful

Nice work Scott. Looking forward to the build. Have you finished the blue 504?

Another great project, Scott. Hang on, this means another slide show presentation down the track!

Peugeot did put the PRV into some 505s.
Correct, so v6,s fitted to 505 from factory so shouldn’t require engineers report as would be bolt in conversion.same like any holden/ford etc that came out of factory with choice of 4,6,8 cylinder engines provided factory fitted parts are used iirc…jim

Hey everyone.

Being as this engine was a factory option for the 505, I don't see an issue getting it registered. All bolt-in engine mounts etc, same sized brakes as factory 505 V6, standard engine management including catalytic converter - what's to dislike?

Ben - No need for a turbo on this one, I have the 406 coupe if I want to drive fast, this is just supposed to be 'nice'.

Andrew - The 504 thread is due for an update! I'll get onto that.

Peter - I think this has been done enough before that there wouldn't be the interest for a presentation! This thread might have to fill that gap.

So, there has been some progress!

I've stripped the engine down to it's bare bones, and swapped the lower section of the block with that of a RWD engine. At the moment I'm mocking up options to keep the serpentine belt, and also fit a power steering pump on the side of the engine that also has the power steering rack, and keep the alternator on the side that has the battery and starter motor.
V6 mocking up serpentine belt options.png

I need to make some brackets to hold the power steering pump and the lower fixing point on the alternator. I will also need to come up with a tensioner arrangement for the belt, and at this point one or perhaps 2 idler pulleys to maximise contact with the crankshaft and driven pulley.

Yet more progress this evening.

Welder is on the fritz so please ignore the spattery welds in the pictures. I'll clean it all up before painting, and probably weld some extra material in to reinforce it when I get the welder to behave.

I've recycled the original 605 top alternator bracket, and fabricated a new lower mount based on a 604/Volvo power steering pump mount. This locates the alternator in a position geometrically identical to the original 605 setup.

1711100045389.png

1711100210957.png

Next time I get time out in the shed, I'll work on the matching power steering pump mount, which I envisage will be a bit more work than this.

During my lunch break today I had a crack at a bracket to hold the power steering pump, in the position that the alternator traditionally sits on a RWD installtion.

As the first of a series of amazing coincidences (that I'll elaborate on in future posts), a 406 V6 power steering pump with the pulley flipped over for slightly more offset from the pump, is perfectly aligned to the 605 drive pulley, when the pump is perfectly in line with the original alternator mounting points.

So, all I needed was something to bolt the pump to somewhere along that plane, and later on I'll work on a bracket to support the rear of the pump. After a bit of measuring and a couple of cardboard templates, I messed about with some scrap 8mm x 50mm flat bar and came up with something like this:

1711420290933.jpeg

The two remaining visible holes on the above photo are what bolts to the power steering pump, resulting in something like this:
power steering pump mockup.jpg

I'll clean it up and give it a quick squirt of paint, and I think I'll consider that a win!

Extended my lunch break, got a bit more done.

1711423341543.jpeg

Cleaned up and painted. You can also see the oil pressure switch peeking out behind the bracket that I needed to make sure that the pump and plumbing when installed wouldn't interfere with.

1711423397633.jpeg

A view from the side, again you can see the oil pressure switch.

Next step will be the rear bracket!

Lots to keep you busy there! How many cars does ,one man need? Open ended question!

Lots to keep you busy there! How many cars does ,one man need? Open ended question!
You're one to talk! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hopefully this will be a fairly quick project. Not a lot of fabrication involved, and I have basically all of the parts necessary, so it will be mostly an exercise in assembly.

May want to consider that a drive belt needs 120 deg wrap to work correctly.
The power steering pulley does not have this and will slip.
One of many

The higher the load the more angle of contact is required
One tensioner per belt otherwise the belt will oscillate badly on two
belt.jpg