Peugeot 504 turbo update

Great looking car and very nice turbo install! So that's an XN engine? That T04 will be pretty slow to come on boost and then it'll feel like you've been hit by a truck at 4000rpm.:) Any driving impressions?

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. As for the specs on the turbo, I'm not sure and will have to look in to that. I've been avoiding dyno tuning as I want to get the car right myself first and then just do a couple of runs to see that all is how it should be. I'll post the figures.

The car runs great. The carbs make for great drivability and lowered compression makes the vehicle very tractable at low revs. Nisspug is right, that it's a bit slow to come on boost and yes, it is very quick when it does but it comes on very low in the rev range, more like 2,500rpm :)

Thats great if it comes on that early. Did you need to do much to the Mikunis to make them handle boost?

Just a few hoses need to be connected to the airbox and a pitot tube facing the air flow going in to the airbox to pressurize the floats and diaphragms.

Ah of course, they're an SU/slide type of carby so no butterfly seals to leak. Nice choice.

Beautiful work of art you have created there.The TI,s go like a cut snake..........I am interested to hear the figures on your beast as well.

Got a set of 15" alloys that weren't straight, contrary to what I was told. Had to have them fixed up but got them painted gun metal grey at the same time. Unfortunately, they just look black in the photo. Thoughts?

Btw. Should be taking it in to get dyno'd in the next couple weeks as I've got my jetting to where I am happy with it. Here is a picture:

IMG_0570.jpg

Unfortunately, they just look black in the photo. Thoughts?

Very nice, particularly with the silver paint. I have 2 sets of the GTDT style mags and entertained painting a set grey against the white of the bodywork but never got around to it before the car was written off. Good to know silver and gunmetal grey works.

Got a set of 15" alloys that weren't straight, contrary to what I was told. Had to have them fixed up but got them painted gun metal grey at the same time. Unfortunately, they just look black in the photo. Thoughts?

Btw. Should be taking it in to get dyno'd in the next couple weeks as I've got my jetting to where I am happy with it. Here is a picture:

View attachment 42326

I like it! Especially if they are lighter than they appear in the photo.

I'd consider changing the embossed sections to a polished silver, to give a sort of chrome look to match the styling of the car.

The bonnet is fun, too. I wouldn't do it to mine, but I like it!

Looking forward to those dyno results!

Installed an Innovate Wideband. Here are some photos of the gauges and the gauge holders that I made in Blender and printed out on a 3D printer. Let me know if anybody wants the blender file to make their own gauge holder!
IMG_0595.jpg

Good going! One to the 504s

But I can't believe a 504 could be judged better than an "Orange" 205!! :nownow:

Could you tell me the whole process of upgrading this beautiful turbo engine? I have 504 with original engine 1.8, and i really want to update it with turbo.. What parts need to be bought and installed ?

Hi Mclee, it's a very involved process but the outcome for me was very worthwhile. I started with a Ti 2.0 L engine, but a 1.8 should be able to handle things just as well, although you'll want to source a 2.0 L Ti cylinder head with the four inlet ports and a 2.0 mm thick copper head gasket to lower the compression. This is about all you'll need to do to your engine itself, as well as probably blank off the mechanical fuel pump (as you'll need to go an electric unit).

The carburettors I used are off a Yamaha R1 motorcycle (around the years 98 - 2002 these were running carbs). They need to be stripped and inspected with bigger main jets (160) installed. The idle jets should also be enlarged a step or two. Of course, you could also go fuel injection easily enough with the computer that you'll NEED to install to run the ignition. Motorcycle throttle bodies are of course an option.

An inlet manifold and airbox needed to enclose the carburettors needs to be fabricated. I got mine made by Bogg Brothers in the UK. Of course you'll want an intercooler, the only unit I found suitable to fit in the space was a water to air unit kit as sold by frozenboost. Then you'll need somebody to connect it all together with aluminium piping etc. Now you'll need an electric fuel pump, a fuel pressure regulator (to regulate the fuel pressure down to below 3 psi so the carbs don't overflow) and somewhere on the airbox or inlet runners to reference this.

Now for the ignition. You need a computer to control the ignition. I opted for the Microsquirt unit, which is a smaller version of the popular Megasquirt that comes preassembled with the Ford EDIS-4 ignition module. You need to wire that all in, install a MAP sensor to your inlet runners, and have a main crankshaft pulley fabricated with the 32-1 tooth wheel to trigger the VR sensor. Tune it all on a laptop using TunerStudio.

Now the important part, choosing a turbo. I'm not really sure what turbo you'll want to choose as I haven't familiarised myself with compressor maps, so you'll want a turbo expert opinion on that. I just used a turbo that was on the shelf. Though you'll need someone to make up a exhaust manifold, mount the turbo high enough that you've got a good drain, and plumb the drains in to the sump and get your oil feed all sorted out. I used an external oil filter and cooler setup which gave me an external reference to the oil feed, so it was easy, but you'll have trouble finding one of these, most likely. I also run an oil cooler.

That's it in a nutshell. I think you'll also want a bigger radiator, and upgraded brakes (I use Peugeot 604 ventilated discs on the front) at a minimum, and don't forget to heat shield things that come close to the turbo! Of course, there was a lot of detail and fine tuning that went in to creating this, and I've probably forgotten to list some details, so if in doubt, ask.

Could you tell me the whole process of upgrading this beautiful turbo engine? I have 504 with original engine 1.8, and i really want to update it with turbo.. What parts need to be bought and installed ?

A turbo would definitely increase overheating problems - especially with your powerful air conditioner! A larger radiator would be essential, and I would expect a couple of temperature-controlled electric fans to replace the belt-driven unit to be required as well.

As callypigous has made clear, there is a lot more to the conversion than bolting on a turbo. A bit less complicated if the car being converted already has fuel injection and computer management, but even then you would need a mechanic with experience in doing similar conversions.

Cheers

Alec

A turbo would definitely increase overheating problems - especially with your powerful air conditioner! A larger radiator would be essential, and I would expect a couple of temperature-controlled electric fans to replace the belt-driven unit to be required as well.

As callypigous has made clear, there is a lot more to the conversion than bolting on a turbo. A bit less complicated if the car being converted already has fuel injection and computer management, but even then you would need a mechanic with experience in doing similar conversions.

Cheers

Alec

So first of all, i need to replace a larger radiatorand 2 temperature-electric control fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This week I added a vacuum distribution block to get a cleaner map signal. The result - not only does it look flash, but it smoothed my MAP signal considerably! Here are some updated under bonnet photos.IMG_3009.jpgIMG_3008.jpg