Peugeot 307 gearbox identification

cohannon

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi guys ... Greetings from the retirement paradise of St Helena in the South Atlantic. I am looking for some constructive help in identifying the correct replacement gearbox to source from South Africa for my Peugeot 307. No paperwork came from the previous owner but I believe my car has the 1600cc engine and the VIN number is VF33CNFU883189963. As the gearbox is scrap can anyone assist me with the correct gearbox to look for from this VIN number as there seems to be various options and purchase plus shipping will not be cheap?

That engine is a TU5JP4, (code letters NFU, 1.6L, 80 kW)

A chart of 307 gearboxes is below, with the several ratios used for different engines. The "repère organe" is on the gearbox label, shown at A in the diagrams. The BE is normally used for 2.0L engines.

The MA and BE boxes are shown for comparison. The two boxes differ noticeably in the size of the casting next to the engine and in the shape of the high small steel housing at the end visible form the wheel arch.

boites 307.png

ma.png

be.png

You can find information on part numbers at

Last edited:
Correction; VIN should be VF3 3CNFUB 83189963

The VIN reckons your retirement runaround is a
5-door 1587cc NFU engine with the MA 5 speed gearbox.

Looking at the chart posted above, check the code on your dead gearbox is the 20CD80, it's possible it may differ for your car.

The MA gearbox comes with many different combinations of gear ratios, and this 20CD80 version will also be used in other Peugeot and Citroen models with the NFU engine so get the wreckers to send you photo of the label showing 20CD80 to be sure you are getting the correct one.

Thank you fellas for the expert help, much appreciated. So it all comes down to which of the five versions of MA box is in my engine and I have to locate the six digit code to be sure I'm ordering the correct one from the breakers. How did we ever manage without the internet?

That label is all important if you want the same performance. There is another similar MA5N box in the chart, but the final gear ratios differ - pont avant is a front axle.

We used to hoard manufacturers' paper data sheets. Now we scan them. Thanks to the internet factory printed manuals have disappeared.

Good luck finding a good one and getting it there.

Thank you fellas for the expert help, much appreciated. So it all comes down to which of the five versions of MA box is in my engine and I have to locate the six digit code to be sure I'm ordering the correct one from the breakers. How did we ever manage without the internet?

I think your box has the gear ratios of the MA5/N variant, but there are two final gear (differential) ratios of 13/61 and 13/64 for which I don't have the six digit code so take a photo of the label at bottom of your gearbox and that should be enough to get the right one.
Good luck.

1714195497566.png