Peugeot 307 2.0 HDi Touring Wagon

Dwubyd

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hey y'all,

I replaced the EGR valve, which was not closing properly. Soon after I started getting problems. The car would idle rough, not increase revs at all when I push the accelerator and black smoke would come out of the exhaust. When I pull the electrical plug on the EGR valve the car works perfectly, except with an engine light and a fault code of course.

It seems that the EGR valve is opening when is should not and when I unplug it, it stays closed. That is my guess. If this is the case, what is causing it to open when it should not?

Ideas on what could be wrong:
- I messed up something when I installed the EGR valve
- The new EGR valve needs calibration of some sort
- Another sensor is malfunctioning

An additional note, from all the time running with an EGR valve that would not close, the inlet got full of black muck. It would coat the air temperature sensor, which did not seem to matter. Maybe the gunk.

Anyone got any suggestions on what to try now?

I don't have a ECU scanner, but I could take it to my mechanic and they can scan for me.

David

Check the vacuum system. It works both the EGR and the doseur butterfly. The code would be helpful. Is it the DW10A engine?

As an aside, "Australia" is often very unhelpful if a response wants to suggest a place where help or parts may be obtained. A nearby big city is still anonymous, if that is desired.

Engine manufacturer:PSA DW10BTED4

This is according to automobile-catalog.com.
It is a 2008 model with a 6 speed manual.

I will have a look at the vacuum system as you suggest and report back.

That is quite a common engine with a lot of discussion (particularly re the EGR) in this forum. It was used in 407s and Citroen C5s as well. To assist your browsing, the engine is more commonly described by its code letters, RHR. The Duckduckgo search box on the home page is the best way to find stuff in Aussiefrogs..

All Peugeot engines have a code, found in letters 6-7-8 of the VIN.

As you said, it is an RHR engine.

I had a look over the vacuum system and it all seems okay.

Is there an easy way to scan engine codes? A economical OBD scanner? I have messaged OBD2 Australia to find out my options.

I have read about diagbox, but it seems like a world of hurt to set up what with the old computer that is required.

i have an OBD2 program on my lap top ,which can be loaded for most makes .i have fiat for my ducato and Peugeot of course ,considering VW for an extra $60 or so for my sons multi van .gives me some options incase the ducato decides to play up ,back of beyond somewhere !

I have a Land Rover Defender coming later this year, so an OBD2 scanner/laptop that works for both would make sense.

I have RHR 407 and blocking off the EGR resulted in nothing happening, maybe that's an option? Alternatively hdi tuning in the UK do a tune file with EGR delete, the flip side of the egr is crap building up in the inlet, it will be there and will get to the point of starving air. My RHY 307 was like this Its like heart disease for cars. Your symptoms are exactly the ones I had, I ended up pressurising the egr to close it. Blocking the vacuum line and remapping it to take it out. This was after removing and cleaning the thing too.