Observation on 98 vs 91 octane for the DS23

That may be so. However, as we live in an ENGLISH speaking country, surely the correct term is pinging?

eg Wikip..

Pinging, the noise indicative of improper combustion (detonation rather than deflagration) in internal combustion engines

i noticed all the poms at work call it pinking, and its brake judder apparently, not shudder....

...... and its brake judder apparently, not shudder....

Ah you must work at a peugeot workshop.
Here in renault land we dont actualy have a word for problems that dont exist.

Jo :joker:

See 'The high speed internal combustion engine' by sir Harry Ricardo, both terms discussed. Pinging is detonation pinking is pre-ignition and they are not the same thing.

If you missed my unusually subtle hint earlier (thanks SLC206 for that handy phrase), the correct terminology is PINKING. As in PINK with ING on the end.

Pinging is what happens when cops catch you speeding.

It's french I think you'll find... the "k" is soilent..

Matthew :)

Absolute hogwash! First it is NOT French, and second the letter "K" is not silent in French. Come on Matthew, you can do better than that!

Phil

i noticed all the poms at work call it pinking, and its brake judder apparently, not shudder....

This how it was in the 50's and 60's. Never heard pinging at all. Also had never heard of 'door cards' until the last 20 years odd. They used to be called door panels or trims!

Absolute hogwash! First it is NOT French, and second the letter "K" is not silent in French. Come on Matthew, you can do better than that!

Phil

Calm down boys! :rolleyes: I was joking.. aka Kath and Kim who swear to this day that it's pronounced Chardonnay with a "k" as the "h" is soilent...

Please don't take anything I say seriously...I certainly don't....

Calm down boys! :rolleyes: I was joking.. aka Kath and Kim who swear to this day that it's pronounced Chardonnay with a "k" as the "h" is soilent...

Please don't take anything I say seriously...I certainly don't....

Pheeeeeew! Thank Goodness for that Matthew! The patriotic chords were starting to vibrate at your butchering of the mother tongue!

Apologies then , and keep up the good work.

Philippe

See 'The high speed internal combustion engine' by sir Harry Ricardo, both terms discussed. Pinging is detonation pinking is pre-ignition and they are not the same thing.

Surely this is the final say. I love it when some solid evidence/research crushes all the other trivial banter. That's of course if you believe in books and not the internet.........

Surely this is the final say. I love it when some solid evidence/research crushes all the other trivial banter. That's of course if you believe in books and not the internet.........

+1.
The source is in this case impeccable.
Language is in continual evolution, constant misuse can over ride and become the "new" word or definition.

richo

+1.
The source is in this case impeccable.
Language is in continual evolution, constant misuse can over ride and become the "new" word or definition.

richo

I avoid having to use either word simply by using 98 or 100 rated fuel in all my cars (theres a fuel station nearby that says one of its bowsers delivers 100 ron). Makes me feel happy. Keeps my DSpecial, DS23, Mini Deluxe and C2 happy too. 5/5 winning score.

100 ron, that's 98 + a touch of ethanol right?

100 ron, that's 98 + a touch of ethanol right?

dunno. might be. It would be an easy way to 'boost' the rating.
I dont visit that fuel re-seller that often - its in the opposite direction from home to work. home to work. home to work, (repeat to fade).

Last edited:
I know with my Volvo 242GT if I put 91 in it she pings like a bastard and it's gutless.
Runs happily on 95 and best of all on 98.
Ford Transit truck with the low compression version of the old 200 crossflow doesn't give two hoots what you throw in it as long as the valves have a sniff of flash lube. Damn thing would probably chug away on crude oil....