New S16 Exhaust Questions

personally i would have only used a 2 inch pipe on your car just to keep more of the low-down power when city driving as i have experienced a 2 1/4 on another s16...

then again yours sounds good 4 the money... obviously you didnt want to buy a performance cat, one from a v8 would have been even better, maybe you could have spent some money on a name brand resonator like Magnaflow, which do last alot longer than local Supercheap Auto ones... if it was one of them

then again..... personally.... i'd put the pipe off the headers exiting straight out behind the left front wheel :headbang:

turbopeugeot306 said:
personally i would have only used a 2 inch pipe on your car just to keep more of the low-down power when city driving as i have experienced a 2 1/4 on another s16...

then again yours sounds good 4 the money... obviously you didnt want to buy a performance cat, one from a v8 would have been even better, maybe you could have spent some money on a name brand resonator like Magnaflow, which do last alot longer than local Supercheap Auto ones... if it was one of them

then again..... personally.... i'd put the pipe off the headers exiting straight out behind the left front wheel :headbang:

Turbopeugeot306, what is the set-up on your car (taking into account your Turbooooo) These magnaflow resonators you talk of, price? Also, would a V8 cat put out significantly more noise?

Brad what was the end cost and how did they mount the new system, as in the mounts on the factory setup are quite specific, do you know if they modified the factory setup or used something else??? cheers

jumpin_pug said:
Turbopeugeot306, what is the set-up on your car (taking into account your Turbooooo) These magnaflow resonators you talk of, price? Also, would a V8 cat put out significantly more noise?

Brad what was the end cost and how did they mount the new system, as in the mounts on the factory setup are quite specific, do you know if they modified the factory setup or used something else??? cheers

sorry, i have a few more questions,,, does anyone know what the factory setup was like on the s16, eg pipe sizes and were/are the parts peugeot factory or a specific brand? last question, does anyone know how much a factory rear box is?

I was told it was over $600 to replace with OEM cat and resonator. I paid $285 for the cat, resonator, pipe betwen and fitting. They cut the system just after the end of the resonator, and then removed it from the car at the end of the extractors as it was impossible to cut the system off before the cat on the car. I don't think there are any mounts in the parts which were replaced.

for the cat, go to a wreckers and cut off one from a v8, if not you can normally get them from a factory v8 for around $290. they allow more gas through but dont increase noise.

the magnaflow resonators are stainless steel packed and go from around $300, expensve but they will last alot longer than the cheap ones, sound nuts too.

my exhaust is 3'' from my turbo to the rear muffler... only one muffler because the turbine cuts up the air making it more quiet.

turbopeugeot306 said:
for the cat, go to a wreckers and cut off one from a v8,
I'd say that the standard V6 cat is one of the better ones the market (and one of the cheapest). Considering the standard cat reduces power by less than 1% (according to an engine builder and two exhaust shops) going an extra 1/4 inch isnt going to do all that much to a NA engine. Maybe on the turbo setup where you just need to get rid of the gas it may be true. But on the NA you are still trying to maintain gas velocity all the way through the exhaust system. There is such a thing as "too big".

and cats from wreckers.... your kidding right? Those things tend to collapse if you sneeze too hard, let alone after an accident. Hardly any exhaust shop will give you any warranty on CATS they sell. Considering the labour cost replacing a cat, the money you save isnt worth the worry.
:2cents: