Mobile internet (Telstra) problem

schlitzaugen

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi everybody, it's once again time for (possibly) obsolete tech.

I am trying to revive an old Telstra mobile device (got a new sim). It is a ZTE device MF910 (not MF910Y - current model), a few years old. It looks like it is connected and all is peachy keen according to its display but it does not show up on my laptop (MacAir - OS requirement is met, no problem there) when I plug it in the USB port so can't install it. Network does not show up in the WIFI list either (though the device display shows it is working).

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be? Do I just cave in and buy a current model device? Is there a place where I can download the software manually and install it that way?

I have tried searching the interwebs but came up empty and Telstra is, oh well, Telstra. Yes, I would love to use another provider but alas, I don't have that option.

Those things are network locked. They also have the underlying Linux blocked, so you can't get at it.

Rest of comment deleted - you are still with Telstra.

Some people have been peeking at the ZTE gadget, though it's no help for your problem.--

One of the "features" of ZTE modem/routers sold through internet providers is that they all are locked against OS inspection, and may be network locked,

I'd get a conventional, unlocked, open device. If you are on fibre NBN, make sure the device is NBN approved. They have the right to shut off others.