Megane tyre pressure sensors

bbg

Tadpole
Hi folks, I had to buy 2 front tyres for my 2017 Megane Intens while touring in regional SA. Since the new tyres were mounted one pressure sensor 'goes missing' after about 20 minutes on the highway at speed. After a 10-15 minute stop it will 'reappear' for about 5~10 minutes before it goes missing again. It is fine whilst driving around the towns at low and moderate speeds (<70~80kph). When it is reporting the inflation appears to be right. My suspicion without any foundation is some moisture/water might have either found its way into the tyre during mounting, or was in their air system -- it was the first use in the day. The symptoms point to a heat problem that could be 'boiling mist' related.

My game plan is currently to get home (a few days hence) and deflate and reinflate the tyre hoping that clears moisture, if that is the problem, and see how it goes. Anyone able to cast a more educated opinion? Worst case a new sensor.

Cheers,

They have might have damaged the sensor when changing the tyre
May as well read the Renault fault finding

Well yes. it does when the sensor is 'found'. For clarity the little car icon shows the 4 wheels with the pressure. When the sensor 'goes missing' that wheel position no longer displays anything, the service light and tyre inflation warning light up. When cold or after cooling down (my suspicion of what is happening) the pressure for the tyre is displayed, the service light and the tyre pressure warning lights extinguish.

The sensor gave up the ghost - possible it is the sensor battery (I assume it has one?) since it was over 38C on the day and 43C the next, and it is 7 years old, or the sensor was damaged and it progressively failed. Either way case closed. A trip to a Renault dealer or a tyre shop offering OEM-compatible replacements is in my future. Joy, not.

and...

Bob

I could live without TPMS as I have for the >50 years driving prior to Megane but the issue for me is the pretty orange 'service' light and 'tyre warning' lighting up the panel :|

I had some tyre pressure sensors not being picked up so no pressure reading displayed on two wheels (and the tyre warning light displayed). This was on my Koleos XZG Intens,
I checked the pressures were correct and reset the tyre pressures in the computer.
Everything has been fine since.
May work in the Megane.

Cheers
RTT

I had some tyre pressure sensors not being picked up so no pressure reading displayed on two wheels (and the tyre warning light displayed). This was on my Koleos XZG Intens,
I checked the pressures were correct and reset the tyre pressures in the computer.
Everything has been fine since.
May work in the Megane.

Cheers
RTT
Thanks but done that more than once. Reno wants $285 for the part! Ordered an advertised OEM equivalent today for $99 delivered. It will supposedly be recognised by the computer. $45 installation at a tyre shop when it comes and all will be revealed. Will update then.

The intermittent heat related nature of the original problem was caused by metal expanding and contracting prior to the sensor eventually falling apart. The sensor finally went 'missing in action' and when the tyre got opened the sensor was in parts, obviously damaged during the tyre installation. Not obvious if it was a lack of training, lack of care, denial, or a combination of all three from the worker responsible. There is a discussion with the tyre shop.

Renault quoted $285 for the sensor! I got a 'compatible' from tpms.com.au (Zylux Distribution, Fairfield Vic) that works as advertised. $99 delivered, $30 to install. No programming needed beyond the Megane's TPMS reset on the steering wheel controls.

Thanks, handy to know there is a reasonable source of supply.
I do like the TPMS in our Koleos, it's a great feature.

I have had a similar problem with my Latitude. I have a ubeaut OBD machine that includes a Latitude. But apparently won't do the tyre senders. My tyre shop cannot do Renault ones either. A machine to do Renault was $300 plus. But I bought Chinese senders with the Renault diamond for Latitude. $30 delivered. I haven't done anything about getting them fitted because a Renault dealer is now more than 100 kilometres round trip. So currently putting up with it.

I have had a similar problem with my Latitude. I have a ubeaut OBD machine that includes a Latitude. But apparently won't do the tyre senders. My tyre shop cannot do Renault ones either. A machine to do Renault was $300 plus. But I bought Chinese senders with the Renault diamond for Latitude. $30 delivered. I haven't done anything about getting them fitted because a Renault dealer is now more than 100 kilometres round trip. So currently putting up with it.
My local Bob Jane shop sells a U-Tech (?) aftermarket TPMS sensor and was up front that sometimes they can be programmed for a particular make and model, and sometimes they cannot, so I found Zylux. The shop were beaut installing it. They were curious if their U-Tech would have worked so they had a play and found their programmer would not recognize the Zylux sensor, concluding their U-Tech sensor would not have worked. Again, the Zylux TPMS are OEM compatible so no programming needed, at least for the Megane 4. Zylux can advise if additional programming is needed for their products on any particular model. I found them very helpful and knowledgeable.

Sorry just joined and saw this post,I recently went through this issue with the TPMs, 1 had a issue wouldn’t show up on the screen, spanner Light on dash,I had a different experience , I bought aftermarket sensors apparently suited our car got them fitted and coded (not at Renault) but wouldn’t stay coded to the car and would reset every 20/25 mins, eventually had to buy genuine $285 and another $215 to code at the dealership, haven’t had a issue since
we also have a 2017 intens sedan

Sorry just joined and saw this post,I recently went through this issue with the TPMs, 1 had a issue wouldn’t show up on the screen, spanner Light on dash,I had a different experience , I bought aftermarket sensors apparently suited our car got them fitted and coded (not at Renault) but wouldn’t stay coded to the car and would reset every 20/25 mins, eventually had to buy genuine $285 and another $215 to code at the dealership, haven’t had a issue since
we also have a 2017 intens sedan
My Zylux has been perfect. Maybe the genuine part needs coding but the Zylux supplied was labelled for a '2017 Renault Megane 4' on the box. One installs them and presses the 'tpms reset' and off you go.

The best ending to my post is the tyre shop reimbursed my costs for the Zylux tpms and having it fit.

Lucky the ones I stupidly bought off ali express also said to suit the megane 4 but they wouldn’t stay coded and would light up the dash every 20/25 mins after resetting, spent about 3 months trying to fix before going to the dealer.

A belated PS about something I and possibly other owners might not notice/remember. It was 3.8C over night and the TPMS alert was on for 'check tyre pressure'. The new sensor was the only one showing pressure; the rest did not display TPMS presence and I feared the worst but displays are what they are so not too worried (yet).

The maintenance service light is on for the annual maintenance due, and now for the TPMS alert eg 2 inputs that individually turn it on. Pushing the TPMS reset on the steering cluster did not start a tyre location/pressure re-calibration as expected. Adjusting the pressures did not 'wake it up' and cancel the fault warning either.

Fearful of having to engage a Renault dealer I did an unmanly thing. I referenced the owner manual.

A scan reminded me there is a TPMS menu among the raft of settings. That menu showed the tyre TPMS information, 3 with low pressure and 1 marginal, and a reset button. The TPMS display on the instrument cluster and the one on the menu seem not 100% identical with the menu initiating the TPMS reset where the cluster button would not. A few kms on the road and all was well.