Looking at a 2016 308 with 1.6L engine: advice

Tristesse

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I am looking at replacing my wife's Peugeot 407 from 2009 with this 2016 Peugeot 308. It is for sale at a dealer in Melbourne M.A.W Motor Group. It's the only Peugeot on the lot. Looks in good condition. They sell lots of makes, with Holden at 8 the most numerous.

The tires are 40 profile on at least one good alloy wheel, but it won't be driven far and mostly inner Melbourne roads. Can't get to look at it till later in the week. Has been on Carsales for over a week. Not sure how long they stay unsold. The driver's arm rest control mask is blistered in a way I've not seen before - cigarettes? Seems unlikely.

It's done 113,450 Km. My wife hardly does any km in a year. $14,990.

Glad of some advice re the 1.6 v the 1.2 and this car generally.

$14,990, well I'd be trying some negotiating. Winrun tyres have no place on the car. Bad tyres, cheap and nasty.

The blistering on the window controls is odd. But clearly it's the rubberised plastic that is failing.

I'd be looking for an impeccable service history with regular oil changes with the correct spec oil if listed.

In general the 308 is an efficient, smooth and good handling hatch with larger than usual boot space. Trade of is that the rear seats are tight.

The 1.6 can have issues, but so can the 1.2. in the 1.6t the engine should feel quite strong with solid oomph from 2000rpm onwards.

Thanks for this. Food for thought. Always a challenge trading off different specs. By the time any grandchildren have a. arrived and b. big enough to complain about the rear seats we’ll probably already be back to diesel.

The back seats are perfect for little kids. My 308 doubles as the second family car and can carry the 3 and 8 year old in child seats and all their junk on a weekend trip no problem.

Mine is a 2017 GTI, so similar engine to that linked one. I've had no engine issues. And no interior parts look anything other than new. But I only have 54000 Kay's on it so far! The only complaints I get are that it's a bit bumpy sometimes, but again... It's the GTI and very much firmer than standard.

Thanks. I remember when the 308 came out. A neighbour or two got them. Fine looking car. Very well reviewed. I would like the GTI, but 17” wheels for this purchase would suit us better. I’ll have a careful look at this one Thursday hopefully.

A friend has one which I get to drive when I take it to my place to repair kerb damage. I love the driving experience, a fun car.
The main challenge with this engine is ensuring that if it develops the cold start rattle, the chain tensioner needs replacing. A simple fix as is the control blistering. Autobarn sell a rubber spray concoction which does the repair job easily if you have any diy skill at all.
Not my colour choice, not that black is a colour technically speaking.9

Struggling with the age factor and other things, my wife texted me mid-evening a carsales link for a Celebes blue 3008 Allure 2021. There’s a few of them $27k to $30. Couldn’t talk her into this last week. Always thought it a nice looking car. Now I learn it seems to be well regarded.

Now looking at a 2018 308 just listed. That's just young enough. Small ding on the lower rear bumper. Will see Thursday maybe. Has the 1.2 engine.

Is it the red, grey or white one?
He red allure is in very good condition judging by the pics.

There's a few watch outs for the 1.2 but by 2018 I imagine most issues were sorted. Character filled engine and adds a little fun to the the car. Has enough power and is very tourqey.

The grey 1.2 2018 is what I’ve decided on. Found a good Haynes page on their potential problems. It has a new engine installed Feb this year under warranty, officially expired last year. An overheating catastrophe? Very good body and paint but for a bonnet stone chip and and one tiny impression on the rear bumper, plus white driver door margin, and 123,000km with perfect interior suggests highway miles and garaged.

Last edited:
The grey 1.2 2018 is what I’ve decided on. Found a good Haynes page on their potential problems. It has a new engine installed Feb this year under warranty, officially expired last year. An overheating catastrophe? Very good body and paint but for a bonnet stone chip and and one tiny impression on the rear bumper, plus white driver door margin, and 123,000km with perfect interior suggests highway miles and garaged.

Probably not overheating. Maybe an oil starvation issue that caused other major issues? You're lucky if it is a brand spanking new factory engine as that will have all the updates that make the 1.2 a more reliable option.

The paint chips very easily so you do have to be careful. Most modern paint is like this. Not Peugeot specific at all. What do your mean by "white margin" on driver door? If I read that right it's probably a replacement door after an accident?

Careless garage use of the door by the look of it. I am a master of the tight multi storey car park, often preferring the neighbour-less corner spots In the work car park. I have hardly ever touched the door to the concrete. If I park in one of the wooden sleeper lined double bays I’ll often keep the driver side right to the wall and with the engine off my C5 driver seat automatically moves back and I clamber over the gear selector to the passenger seat and out into the acreage between me and the adjacent car. The previous owner of the 308 had no such obsession about knocking paint off the door edge.

Probably not overheating. Maybe an oil starvation issue that caused other major issues? You're lucky if it is a brand spanking new factory engine as that will have all the updates that make the 1.2 a more reliable option.

The paint chips very easily so you do have to be careful. Most modern paint is like this. Not Peugeot specific at all. What do your mean by "white margin" on driver door? If I read that right it's probably a replacement door after an accident?
I also had a 1.2 in a 2017 year Peugeot 2008. After diagnosing exponentially increasing oil usage. Peugeot replaced the engine (no cost for engine) in 2023. I’m also hoping for the later upgrades on this little engine, which, apart from this “minor issue” , is a cracker.

Thanks Barry. This fills in a blank in the chain of information. My wife will soon drive it and that might be the end of me getting behind the wheel. And I really like the wheel. It’s a zippy car. My daughter noticed the throaty sound. The heater is very good. Very comfortable car. Took it on the freeway. Used the cruise control I’ve hardly sighted, tucked behind. Lane departure warning flashes discreetly - I was testing it.

I’ll check the oil regularly.

Sounds good. For the 15K/Annual oil changes and top-ups use either Total HTC 5W30 (what Peugeot dealers will typically use) or Mobil 1 ESP 5W30. These are the only two oils readily available in Australia that have been certified (as opposed to only claiming) to meet the specified PSA oil standard B71 2297. Avoid oil additives as they might have an unknown effect on the wet timing belt.

Thanks very much David for your advice and, if I can assume, reassurance. I’ve been reading all I can find on this. We’re leaving a good 2009 407 diesel with only 57,000km which my wife drives so little that the depollution blockage has been a regular problem. I unblock it on a freeway drive, if I’m allowed to. The petrol engine now is more logical for us, and will have similar usage so the service intervals and right oil and even an earlier belt change will not tax us much. I learnt just now you can see the belt through the open oil filler pipe. Great to have this recommendation on the oils. My wife will take it to Regan Motors near us. My job is to check the oil and badger her to get it serviced on time (not km).