Is there a starting sequence on the GTI-6?

rek:
GTI124:
Yes says something about arduous conditions, just wasn't sure if suburban Sydney was considered arduous, or if the Australian distributor just wanted to generate more revenue for the dealerships...
Frequent short trips and inner-city/stop-start type driving is generally considered as an "arduous service condition".

The service book of my old car had a list of all the things that are considered to require more frequent service intervals (many short trips, towing things, dusty conditions, and others I forget)
So Europe and the UK don't have traffic, don't do stop start driving, and don't have dust or tow things...hmmm...I still feel that the distributors are just trying to get more $$$ for their dealers. Sure parts of Oz are dusty, but stop start traffic is everywhere, especially in Paris! So how can a car that only need to be serviced every 20000 miles require more frequent servicing in Australia? I'm not saying I'm not in favour of looking after my GTI, but I just find it intersting that we are servicing our cars 3 times more often than in the UK...

- Lincoln

How do we service our cars 3x as much in Europe?

They still have their intermediate checks, I believe.

Cheers,

Justin

Pug307:
How do we service our cars 3x as much in Europe?

They still have their intermediate checks, I believe.

Cheers,

Justin
Well if it's recommended in the Aussie Service log books to service the car every 10000kms, and according to the manual (which I am assuming is written for the UK) you only need to service them every 20000 miles or 30000 kilometres, then that would be 3x... The book quotes advances in semi synthetic and full synthetic oils as being the main reason why the servicing can be taken out to such long periods...

As far as I can tell from the manual, the 30000 service is an intermediate, or A class service. Which looks like just a fluid change. Have I missed the section that says you should take it in every 10000kms for another fluid change, that appears to conflict the so called "advances in lubricants"... :confused:

Maybe I'm just getting cynical! :rolleyes: Feel free to bash me over the head, I don't mind at all :D

Cheers, Lincoln

The 10k, 30k, etc services are only checks.

I'd hardly call them a service - basically a quick safety check - ie fluids, visual checks, etc.

That's why they're free - except for any extra fluids required.

I believe that in Europe they have these intermediate checks as well.

Anyway, Peugeot's better than Renault in this respect. In Europe, the Renaults have 30k intervals. In Australia, it's a 10k interval.

I wouldn't complain about having a 20k interval - you won't find many cars here that will have longer intervals.

And, as Jason says, no oil is going to be that great after 30,000km. Even Mobil 1.

Cheers,

Justin

According to my local spare parts guru, Castrol R is the only synthetic oil sold in Australia which meets the European synthetic specification. Mobil 1 is an Australian recipe. He also claims that the 5L Commodore he's had from new, which has now done 200 000km, has only had 4 oil changes. He has sent samples in at each 50 000km change for analysis, and there has never been any abnormal traces of metal. His theory is although initially dearer, Castrol R is much cheaper in the long run. Are you game to try it?

Wow, 50000kms on the same oil, in a Holden! eek! If Castrol R is the only European spec oil, what about the Euro brands that are here, like Elf/Agip/Esso/Total? (Can you even get some of those brands here???). I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Mobil, Shell, Caltex/Ampol and BP are refining their oils here as well, and our refiniries are no where near as sophisticated as those in Europe...

Thanks for all of your comments, it's been very interesting.

Justin, sounds like Renault are the same as Peugeot in Europe, but I'm a bit confused as to what is different in Australia? Sorry, are you able to elaborate further? Maybe I'm confused on the difference between an interval and a fluid change/check...

- Lincoln

<small>[ 13 August 2002, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: GTI124 ]</small>

these extended service intervals are based on synthetic oils only.upon finding this out i phoned city peugeot to find out wot oil they put in only to find that they use gtx magnatec.not afull synthetic oil.i switched to a full synthetic but would not go any further than 10k before changing.also consider running lighter weight oils as stated in the manual.

Ookay,

Renault: Servicing every 10,000km.
Peugeot: Servicing every 20,000km.

for the Peugeot you have 10,000km checks (ie at 10k, 30k, 50k, etc). There are simply simple checks - you could do them yourself - parts are not changed, unless there is something grossly wrong. Ie, they check fluid levels, spin your wheels around, take it for a test run, visually inspect it, check tyre pressure, etc.

But you do it, so your stamp is in the book :)

Cheers,

Justin

Just to add to this, the Renault Scenic dCi (turbo diesel) I had in the UK and Ireland last month... first service was at 30 000km, with no checkups before that.

I thought that was a loooong distance too.

It was the same for the petrol Renaults in the Eurodrive program as well.

They did stress that they wanted me to check the oil level (on the dash!) each time I started it and occasionally check other fluids.

Derek.

Pug307:
Ookay,

Renault: Servicing every 10,000km.
Peugeot: Servicing every 20,000km.

for the Peugeot you have 10,000km checks (ie at 10k, 30k, 50k, etc). There are simply simple checks - you could do them yourself - parts are not changed, unless there is something grossly wrong. Ie, they check fluid levels, spin your wheels around, take it for a test run, visually inspect it, check tyre pressure, etc.

But you do it, so your stamp is in the book :)

Cheers,

Justin
and i'm sure A&J in parramatta would charge you $200 for this 'checkup' :D

Pugsly:
and i'm sure A&J in parramatta would charge you $200 for this 'checkup' :D
LOL! Aren't we all getting a bit cynical and jaded! It's so amusing!

The last check I got from A&J was around the $160 mark, I think, for a simple fluid change and a heap of warranty work.

I know someone paid $160 for an oil change at A&J in SYD.

I went to Hamilton City Motors,

$55. The lot, checkup, oil, washer & filter.

Cheers,

Justin

Pug307:
I know someone paid $160 for an oil change at A&J in SYD.

I went to Hamilton City Motors,

$55. The lot, checkup, oil, washer & filter.

Cheers,

Justin
Justin, where are you? Newcastle? Where's Hamilton City Motors?

Cheers, Lincoln