Heads up for all R8/10 owners - brakes

My Mitsubishi van has sat for 10 years and I recently revived it. Brake fluid level still the same no leaks, and brakes work perfectly. But I will have them rebuilt just to be on the safe side.

Our R8 sat on blocks for 2 years once, while we were in Kenya, and the brakes were fine when we got home. Then another year or so after Alex bent it in about 1987, again brakes were fine.

For the Itchy Bitchy, I'd mostly be concerned about hoses. You are reviving one? Sounds like a good excuse for an Estafette project to me....

So one by one the piston rubbers have been swelling and I've had to rebuild them and install new rubber seals. I've been using DOT4 brake fluid instead of DOT3 and wonder if this may have contributed to the rubbers swelling...anyone?:confused:

I always use Super DOT4 in my various machines including my R10 disc braked 4CV and don't have any difficulty with swelling of the rubbers and don't expect to. Normal bearing grease can certainly affect the rubbers causing them to swell.

The most common problem I have had with hoses (5 now) is that they look almost perfect on the outside but have made themselves a lovely little non return valve on the inside.

The most common problem I have had with hoses (5 now) is that they look almost perfect on the outside but have made themselves a lovely little non return valve on the inside.

I've had that too. Out of interest, did all of yours lock the wheel ON, or did they prevent braking? Or both? My only experience with this locked one front wheel. Completely!

I drove a car in France with a hard pedal and almost no braking except with the handbrake - I presumed hose "valves" at the time but don't know of course.

I've also had the same problem over the years with probably all my R8's,10's and about a year ago the Floride S. I think it has always been the front left. Coincidence or for a reason? Perhaps the front left gets rough road edges etc which cause more movement hence more strain.:confused:

I've also had the same problem over the years with probably all my R8's,10's and about a year ago the Floride S. I think it has always been the front left. Coincidence or for a reason? Perhaps the front left gets rough road edges etc which cause more movement hence more strain.:confused:

My only occurrence was front left! Hmm. But I don't drive like that.....

My only occurrence was front left! Hmm. But I don't drive like that.....

Yes John but you live and drive in WA where the roads are almost perfect compared to QLD. Where some times hitting rough edges and pot holes isn't a something you can avoid. Where I live narrow roads with large pot holes on the edges even in the middle. Gravel trucks with swaying dogs that definitely aren't going to get over and do a tyre themselves. NSW is usually worse. You are lucky and have roads like we used to have years ago.

Yes John but you live and drive in WA where the roads are almost perfect compared to QLD. Where some times hitting rough edges and pot holes isn't a something you can avoid. Where I live narrow roads with large pot holes on the edges even in the middle. Gravel trucks with swaying dogs that definitely aren't going to get over and do a tyre themselves. NSW is usually worse. You are lucky and have roads like we used to have years ago.
:joker: Yes, I do take your point!! Didn't mean to be a smart-a**e.