ES9J4 V6 engine

I am sure Demannu knows, but i came across a discussion where a guy did it by putting a socket on the bolt then jamming/locking the ratchet bar against the car body somehow, then very briefly kicking over the engine with the ignition key.
sounds scary, but he said he'd done it successfully many times.
Others with manual transmission put it in 5th gear and use an impact driver with socket, on autos some say remove the starter and lock the ring gear with a large screwdriver.
I think it can be done with a very long extension bar on you normal socket handle.

I am sure Demannu knows, but i came across a discussion where a guy did it by putting a socket on the bolt then jamming/locking the ratchet bar against the car body somehow, then very briefly kicking over the engine with the ignition key.
sounds scary, but he said he'd done it successfully many times.
Others with manual transmission put it in 5th gear and use an impact driver with socket, on autos some say remove the starter and lock the ring gear with a large screwdriver.
I think it can be done with a very long extension bar on you normal socket handle.

I have read about the 5th gear method for manual transmission. Maybe i will try that method.

As for placing the ratchet bar against the car body, i tried it but i couldnt find where to rest the socket handle on the body. 406 didnt have such provision. Over here in Nigeria, our Mechanics use starter method and it works for them. But note that ES9 engine has the central big bolt and the four 13mm bolts, as you can see in the attached pic taken from my D9 V6. The one you are removing for the timing belt replacement are the 13mm bolts, not the middle one.

Since mine is manual trans, i will try the 5th gear method and have someone hold the brake for me. I will also try and see if i can lock the flywheel with long screwdriver without the starter.

Attachments

• 118.jpg
    118.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 3,070
ok, good luck, i am just a novice trying to learn stuff.
hey.. when you gonna clean off all that Nigerian dirt off your car!!

hey.. when you gonna clean off all that Nigerian dirt off your car!!

Lol!

It even looks better in the picture than when i got her, especially the underneat. The car underneat looks like it was driven through a mud when i got her. I have taken my time to clean off some of the dirts, but i still need to do more.

The thing is, a lot people have ended up having a non-starting cars or malfunctioned components simply because they took their cars to be washed with pressurised water. So, i dont plan to experience such nightmare. Am simply taken my time to put the car in the shape i want.

The easiest way is simply to put the impact wrench on it and undo it!

I haven't tried any other methods, because I simply haven't needed to.

When refitting, I have had no problems torquing it up with the torque wrench with just the crankshaft locking pin in place. From memory the actual torque on it is not that huge, but there is threadlock compound on the bolt.

You need to remove the harmonic balancer to access the locking pin holes.

When they only have the 13mm bolts I've never had a problem. I usually just put a half inch ratchet on it and give it a whack with my palm.

When they only have the 13mm bolts I've never had a problem. I usually just put a half inch ratchet on it and give it a whack with my palm.

That will usually work for the harmonic balancer/accessories belt pulley, but not for the crank pulley itself...

Hi Scotty. Please, also send me the ES9J4 manual, since its similar to my ES9J4S. My email is ikenna351@gmail.com

Ikenna, I have the ES9J4S manual as well if you would prefer that. However, it is broken down into sections and they are very large. I can send you a couple of sections if you need something in particular, but my monthly internet allowance would struggle if I tried to send it all to you at once!

So, which sections do you need soonest?

Ikenna, I have the ES9J4S manual as well if you would prefer that. However, it is broken down into sections and they are very large. I can send you a couple of sections if you need something in particular, but my monthly internet allowance would struggle if I tried to send it all to you at once!

So, which sections do you need soonest?
Of course, I would prefer the ES9J4S manual since you have it. I wish I could get all sections at once. Lol! Ok, lets see. Is there any section that treated the engine sensors, locations, diagrams & troubleshooting? In another words, I mean, is there any section that treated engine management system or the engine electrical system and its diagnosis? If yes, I would need it please.

That will usually work for the harmonic balancer/accessories belt pulley, but not for the crank pulley itself...

That's all you need off though isn't it? Usually you can slip the belt under the main one. I agree to get that one off you need a rattle gun or using the method of a breaker bar and the starter motor.

That's all you need off though isn't it? Usually you can slip the belt under the main one. I agree to get that one off you need a rattle gun or using the method of a breaker bar and the starter motor.

If you're just changing the belt, yes, but if you're like me, you also replace the 5 seals in there at the same time, and the crank pulley needs to come off to get to seal there.

bumping this up in vain hope.
been changing the timing belt and alternator belt and trying to unsuccessfully fix oil leaks from cam covers and cam boxes,
had lots of issues but technically i sort of understand the mechanics of it.
yesterday the car started ok with a new battery, then had immediate big oil leaks.
went back over stuff and accidentally broke the fuel line to the rear bank.
these are not available anymore so i just replaced it with standard fuel hose and hose clamped it on.
but now the car won't start.

I bought online the official workshop manual which has lots of how to take apart info, but,
it says nothing about how the engine works and what to test if it don't work.
so does anyone know of a basic how to troubleshoot this engine?
the sort of thing you get in a haynes manual, but there is no manual for this engine that i can find.
all those sensors i don't know the names of etc.
how do you even check for spark when the plugs are deeply hidden, stuf flike that etc etc..
can i spray ''start ya bastard'' down the air intake?

I've not had any luck with basic troubleshooting on the problematic 4HP20 in my 607. Based on your comments Demannu of the ease of removing the ES9J4 and transmission from your coupe, I'm tempted to remove the powertrain from the 607 for a full overhaul.

Did you have any pointers or are you aware of any workshop manuals regarding the removal of the ES9J4S and 4HP20? Will it just be a case of removing in a logical manner the driveshafts, exhaust manifold, electricals, etc, then the engine and transmission with a hoist?

Cheers! :)