DS Rev Counter

brian woodcock

Fellow Frogger
I have 3 non-working rev counters in my bottom drawer, I want to get them working as the one in my car sticks at 3,500 revs.Not wishing to reinvent the wheel I wonder if anyone can help me with a circuit diagram, I reckon I would have a better chance of fixing an electronic problem than a mechanical one!

Hi Brian

You may get lucky and find a circuit diagram by Googling the brand of the tacho, if not its not real hard to reverse engineer. The tachos from that era were pretty basic.

Also you may be better off making a good tacho out of what you have, e.g. transplant a meter movement from one of the tachos from the draw into your sticking needle tacho.

Brian,

I remember as a keen 16 year old trying to repair the tacho in my Dad's R16TS when it totally stopped working two years into its life (and by then was out of warranty of course). I tried to work out the circuit diagram (using all the knowledge I had learned from reading Electronics Australia magazines) and could not make any sense of it at all. I ended up bringing the meter movement wires out of the can and making up an EA tacho kit and feeding the meter movement with the output from the kit. I recall mounting the new circuit into a small Eddystone diecast box for safety but I don't recall where I hid the box - but I don't think I succeeded in hiding it very well. Maybe that was one of the reasons my Mum didn't like the car all that much and wouldn't let my Dad sell it to me when I was in second year Uni and he wanted to move up to an Alfa Romeo 1750 Berlina.

Do the tachos you have rolling around in the drawer work? I would set them up with a power and ground, and a line to the coil and see if any work better that the one in the car.

Have you tried swopping over the boards between the DS tachos you have?

Have fun while you still can.

Cheers, Ken