Disconnected Ramblings

looking naked without blackjack aside, would it be Concours? Certainly not as over-restored as some …

The Redex visiting was something station families long remembered.
big-5704515a7c.jpg

Know nothing of the current owner.
Ballarat had possibly one of the largest concentrations of Peugeots in Victoria thanks to Vic Wendt. And Alan Crabbe who dealt in used cars with an emphasis on Peugeot.

View attachment 214236View attachment 214237
thankfully a better look now, posted by a facebook person ... ( Pete noticed overriders aren't in the right place )
Looks like she's a pre 1158884. Holes for the 'Eyebrows' are visible which looks to make her a '50 model. If so, bumper overriders are correct. Visible bits that stand out as ring ins are the steering wheel, road wheels and the top bars on the grill. Another early girl resurfaces !!!.

corrected, Pete said Different - not Wrong … with thanks: “… Les crosses de pare-chocs ne sont plus placees la verticals dans l’axe des phares mais encadrent la plaque mineralogique AV …”
uppermost grill embellishments would have been cast rather than inox, yes?

Last edited:
Yeah when I saw 203s in France for the first time, being only familiar with 403s and 404s and their modern font, I thought they said Quegeot. Weirdest P ever.

corrected, Pete said Different - not Wrong … with thanks: “… Les crosses de pare-chocs ne sont plus placees la verticals dans l’axe des phares mais encadrent la plaque mineralogique AV …”
uppermost grill embellishments would have been cast rather than inox, yes?
Yes on the top bars being the cast 'Aluvac' types, not sure when they went to the Inox top bars, maybe started off with the first of the203 top grille bars early & late.JPG 'A' types from Oct. '52.

can't find the recent discussion re CCM history so this may be even more disconnected;

Odd that both Queensland and Victoria kept the original name of their parent company but never had anything to do with each other. Difference in business name registration is Agency compared to Company.

Nice story about the diffs but I don't think it's true. That SA plant later put 404 motors in Hillmans. I think the side striping was also used in Greece. The clips for the strips were a problem and weren't supplied through spares. Wendts in Ballarat looked into having some locally made. I think the side strips detracted from the line of the car. Batitsa Farina really knocked off Facel's design of the Ford Comete for the 403. The end of the Peugeot aerodynamic period. If it looked sleek that was good enough for Farina and their designs never saw a wind tunnel.
The 403 team was beaten by the well prepared Rootes entry of Hillmans in the 1962 Safari. I wonder if they were Septs?

I came across one of those 404 engined Hillmans many years ago at Pick A Part in Kilsyth. It was a bit weird looking into the engine bay and seeing a Peugeot engine.