Dauphine Gordini (R1901)

Simon said:
It does have retro fitted discs to the front from an R10. These have an all encompassing dust shield as opposed to the skimpier dust shield of the R8 956 and 8G’s with the air scoop so that is why they look like drums. I’m not too sure of the job quality though, from the look of the pics it looks like the roll bar brackets have been nut and bolted to the chassis rail rather than welded, or have they been belt and braced with welding and bolts?
Not sure, this is something I will need to check out again.
Simon said:
There should be recessed foot wells in the rear floor a’la R8/10/12/Fuego, they shouldn’t have been replaced just with flat plate. Also if there is rust there, I’d be suspicious of what the filler is hiding in the rest of the car.

As for the price, each to their own I guess, but with an unknown quantity like what hides under the shiny paint, it could be a bit of a minefield. Given that just a good paint job could start at $3K, if you are paying for someone to do it there is not a lot of room before overcapitalisation takes over, and before the front seats have been re-upholstered in beige and brown. Also depending on what you want to do with the car, original or just a good run about there are a few details missing, like the front badge, bumper centre and bumper “towel rail”, rear number plate light, hubcaps etc. All these things could be awkward, but not impossible, to find.
The badges, "towel rail" number plate light and bumper center are in a box, sold with the car. My main worry is how much rust is under the filler. Would need to find hubcaps as you said, and the original indicator stalk is broken and will need repair. It has some generic thing on it at the moment..
Did they come with seatbelts? If so, they are generic plastic ones in there at the moment.. would want to chase up some more authentic ones.

David.

Europa said:
IMO @ $2K, it is already overcapitalised!

I'd tend to agree, but some people do have a difference sense of what things are worth. If the RHS is as ripply as it looks in the pics I'd be hard pressed to even get to $500, especially with the car having the front end conversion carried out by Unknown Engineering, missing thermostat, starting problems, body problems, paint problems, odd seats etc etc..

I wonder if that is why the car is registered but with no RWC, in that it wouldn't pass the inspection?

It could just end up being one of those cars which ends up being a donor car for a better example simply because it requires so much work to get it up to scratch. Then again at least you wouldn't be able to say you had too much spare time with a car like that

vivid said:
Did they come with seatbelts? If so, they are generic plastic ones in there at the moment.. would want to chase up some more authentic ones.

Nope. Reinforced seat belt anchorage points to the front floor were only fitted to the 1964 model onwards (a non reinforced attachment point was on the pillar). Therefore none of the Dauphines originally sold in AUS will be fitted with anchorage points.

There are no anchorage points for the rear seats either.

And you picked a good one to compare it to. The low mileage former Bruce Porter car from SA.

Just seeing that red car should make it worthwhile to keep looking for a better example than the blue one. At least something more original so you can see what needs to be done.

Thanks guys,

Bruce's car is an beautiful resto.
What would one in that sort of condition expect to fetch today?

I think I will offer him something for the blue one, but NOT his asking price.
It has already cost me about $50 getting down there. :blackeye:

"tell 'im he's dreaming"

He may infact be waiting for someone to "fall in love" and buy it despite its glaring problems. To me it looks like a $300 paintjob on a very rough body. Scared to find out how much rust is under there, and how much of the putty is structural now.

May have to spend the money on my 16 eh?

Will let you know what happens.

David.

vivid said:
Bruce's car is an beautiful resto.
What would one in that sort of condition expect to fetch today?

That car was basically an original LOL owner 30,000 mile car prior to Bruce finding it in the 1980’s. Only faults on the car were faded paint and rust in one of the rear doors, as well as collapsed gearbox side mounts. The interior was immaculate. Bruce died from a brain aneurism in about 1989 and the car disappeared after it was inherited by his brother. Then I noticed it at the 1997ish Vic FCD and was glad that it had been restored to its former glory by its new owner who purchased it from Bruce's brother.

As for value, how long is a piece of string? Good genuine G’s are now getting rare, and if they follow the trend set by the 750, I’d say an immaculate one would be in the order of $3-5K for something original with books, possibly more depending on the buyers on the day interest etc.. I hate talking up prices and speculating when I’m not the one shelling out. Hence the Europa comment that the blue car is already overcapitalised at the current asking price of $2K.

vivid said:
I think I will offer him something for the blue one, but NOT his asking price.
It has already cost me about $50 getting down there. :blackeye:

"Scared to find out how much rust is under there, and how much of the putty is structural now.

Thing is with Dauphines is that the metal is just so thin, the interior of the sills and chassis rails could literally be paper thin without showing on the outside, but only the usual suspects such as the footwells show as being repaired., so you may think the car is OK, but it would only be scratching the surface. If you do decide to make an offer, make sure it is on a worst case scenario basis with a car that has been patched.

vivid said:
May have to spend the money on my 16 eh?

Will let you know what happens.

David

Well at least you would know what the 16 requires, and the money not spent on the blue car could be spent on the 16, which is probably as equally deserving.

OTOH, the money not spent on the blue car could be popped in the bank ready for when a really good DG comes along. They are out there. :)

Simon said:
If the RHS is as ripply as it looks in the pics I'd be hard pressed to even get to $500, especially with the car having the front end conversion carried out by Unknown Engineering, missing thermostat, starting problems, body problems, paint problems, odd seats etc etc..

Spoke with him again this evening, and it stopped because of "an underrated fuse holder on the ignition wire". He told me he had put this in, and the heat had melted the fuse holder, insulating the connections.

He tells me the work was done about 6 years ago at French Connection (front end conversion not the bodywork) so maybe David C can remember the car. It may infact be the car I sat in, and dreamed about owning about that long ago, but didn't have $1.5k to spend. But from memory that car didn't have much rust.. cant be sure.

I will be going back to take another look, and maybe make him an offer, and ofcourse with all the invaluable advice I have been given. I guess as Simon said, I have to consider the worst case, and how much / if it is worth it.
At the right price, I almost feel it an obligation as Kiwia110 said
Kiwia110 said:
"someone needs to become the guardian for the future. "
but at the same time don't want to pay too much.

Thanks again froggys.

"Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwia110
"someone needs to become the guardian for the future. "

but at the same time don't want to pay too much. "

Be careful being the guardian of a castle with a soul, but riddled with salt damp and in disrepair.

My next stop would be David C to query him on if he can remember the car.