Citroen GS Birotor

Haakon
Which just highlights my point re. the ignorance and mostly undeserved reputation surrounding R080s that has encouraged by the media and misinformed public. Perhaps the Ro80s you saw had had the Ford Transit cast iron pushrod V4 horror fitted. (how to ruin a beautiful car in one easy lesson!)
Geeez HAAAAAAKON! It doesn't highlight anything of the sort! I didn't mean THAT! I only HAD 300 quid - I would've loved an Ro80 as my car back here, mate, but when you're on a travel budget...

Stuey

Speaking of Wank...els
There was a GS converted to take a Mazda RX7 engine and Hewland transaxle with Honda motorbike radiators for cooling.
Anyone know what became of it?
It was done in Sydney and looked totally stock from the outside..LHM leaks and all.
Colour was a grey / green metallic and a grey interior and had a towbar.

Sorry Stuey, I guess I am a bit sensitive re. Ro80's. Growing up in the heart of Commodore country, I've heard every stupid comment one could think of, including all the obvious ones about the rotary's inventors surname, Dr Felix Wankel.

Haakon,

What buried the Wankel was the totally utopian licencing agreement not the mechanics of it.

Talk about living on another planet!

Hey is it true that Ro80 drivers wave to each other with the number of fingers indicating how many engies the car has had?

head_ban

No worries Haakon, I've always been amazed at how advanced the Ro80 was and how modern it looks even now. It's a bloody shame that such a vehicle failed. Really, the only thing dating it now is the size of the wheels and the period style interior and external trim. Great stuff in my book.

Stuey

<small>[ 02 September 2002, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Haakon ]</small>

Originally posted by 4lightDS:
[QB]Haakon,

What buried the Wankel was the totally utopian licencing agreement not the mechanics of it.

Huh?

Talk about living on another planet!

Again - huh?

Hey is it true that Ro80 drivers wave to each other with the number of fingers indicating how many engies the car has had?

No. (Does this not contradict your comment above?)

Only the really stupid ones who didnt read the handbook blow up rotaries - rotaries use oil like a two stroke for apex seal lubrication - if you leave off changing oil and hence the checking the level for 6 months during heavy use, it will run out. Show me an engine that will live without oil!! Or if this didnt happen they ran it out of oil by consistantly revving it beyond the redline. The Wankel will easily exceed the redline by as much as 2500 rpm without damage for a long time, but oil consumption goes through the roof at these speeds. The R080 is a car that responds to been thrashed - the sound of a Wankel at 8000 rpm is to die for, just keep an eye on the oil is you over rev it!

Stuey - I'm still not sure why it was considered to be a failure, it had a 10 year production run, and nearly 40,000 were built! It just never had a successor.

Originally posted by 4lightDS:
[QB]Haakon,

The R080 is a car that responds to been thrashed - the sound of a Wankel at 8000 rpm is to die for, just keep an eye on the oil is you over rev it!

Hmmm...the ones I've heard more like I wanna kill myself...friggin dreadful sound!:disappr:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

theres a post from june 2011 about bi rotor ,with coolent in the engine ,its in victoria i think ,from memory it was assembled from parts after production had ended, anyway do a search and have a read ,think you may change your mind about owning one ,unless you are reel dedicated pugs

Dont know ,click on nav pannel do a search on bi rotor ,theres some stuff there ,there was a write up in classic and sports cars a while back on these two rotary cits ,the one that looks like a gs ,is not just a gs with a rotary ,it may look similar but are completely different under the skin ,not sure but motor may be east west pugs