Ceramic Coating - Worth It?

philipjh

Fellow Frogger
Good Evening Folks,

My wife recently purchased a low kilometre 2021 Renault Koloes in Meissen Blue which is the darker blue but very sparkley.

The paint is in good order and while it will be parked under cover at home, I was pondering the value of ceramic coating to the paintwork.

Therefore looking for experiences with such coatings but also looking for advice/recommendations on other approaches and their respective value.

Over to you folks.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Philip

No idea.

But if you look on the interwebs, you will find that yes, ceramic coating on your paint may make a little difference but not necessary for a new car (which yours is). New cars are apparently protected form factory by all the chemicals, pixies and dinosaurs we have managed to come up with bar the ceramic coating you speak of (which makes you think).

Do you intend to keep it for more than 20 years and you will care what it looked like then? Then probably yes. If not, no. A Renault's s/h value is nothing to write home about and in a few years ceramic coating or not, your car will be worth the same money.

For your data, my car (2010) kept outside its entire life (previous owner didn't have a garage either) looks very well, and I don't wash it, don't do nothing for its paint. So 14 years in the sun and weather was not enough to damage the paint. Not sure what ceramic coating would have done for it, but our car is getting scratched and dented in the parking lot at the mall and I am not sure there's a ceramic coating to protect against that.

Hope you got something out of that.

If anything, ceramic coatings help by reducing the amount of contamination that sticks to paint and makes it easier to wash off. But they don't last forever and have to be maintained to remain effective.

If you do get it professionally coated they should give you the information to maintain it.

But, basically unless you're super careful and fastidious then the best thing for the paint is never touching it... Every wash, every buff aver wipe down introduces micro scratches, particularly on modern soft paint.

For me, I spend a fair bit of time on my cars because it's a relaxing job for me. I wash each car once a month. And every 6 months I apply a consumer grade ceramic coating (currently trying some gyeon products) and in between I'll use a ceramic detail spray. I keep a healthy supply of clean microfiber cloths and and very careful not buff the cur more than required.
Unfortunately my pug lives outside so it's constantly bombarded with bird poo and tree sap which can be quite corrosive and quickly damage paint if left.

I should add that a clean car also adds to stress... Every mark is an annoyance. I have learned the hard way with 2 young kids and the questionable spatial awareness of my partners driving skills...

Yeah, that is what I try to avoid too. I have only ever had a fully restored car, and it was a pain in the arse. Sold it fairly soon because it was stressing me out. Nah, I prefer driving them.

Can recommend this stuff https://www.sparesbox.com.au/produc...gFIA7b-dp6A4xmyMXwFsuqiaBf5Z7PcRoCFF4QAvD_BwE

Its dead easy to apply and in the few months ive had it on the alfa is does all the ceramic coating things you want - water falls off it and it resists dirt well. And is a doddle to wash.
If you like that, you might like their hybrid ceramic coating liquid and the detail spray.

I recently did my mum and dad's focus with them and it looks good. Was super easy to apply, very little effort to apply and wipe off. Will have to wait a month or two to see how it lasts.
Compress_20240228_164014_4608.jpg

If you like that, you might like their hybrid ceramic coating liquid and the detail spray.

I recently did my mum and dad's focus with them and it looks good. Was super easy to apply, very little effort to apply and wipe off. Will have to wait a month or two to see how it lasts.View attachment 237545
Yes, these new generation of ceramic products are pretty decent and certainly good bang for buck. Good for cars like mine that have to live outside and all im really interested in is extending the time required between washes and making the washing easier!! And some half decent protection while its these.

And give it a good clay barring first of course.