Accumulator leakback, BX 16 Valve

duncan16v

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
Hi all y'all

Because it's been a good(ish) garçon for a wee while, the 16 Valve is playing up. It just spat the leakback return pipe off, losing about 500ml of LHM in the 60 seconds or so it took flor me to spot it and kill the engine. Which leads me to the obvious question: how much does the accumulator leakback typically flow?

Cheers
Duncan

You mean the pressure regulator return hose? As much as the pump can pump when it is not charging the accumulator. It's always flowing around and around when the engine runs and volume rises with engine rpm. It's not the same sort of tiny leakback that you get from a strut, where the leakback lines are only intended to carry leakage past seals and out of valves etc. back to the reservoir.

This one (poorly ringed in yellow)
IMG_3861.jpeg

I'm going to be really annoyed with myself if the intermittent leak I've been chasing for a while now was a hose clamp that needed snugging up. That'll be REALLY ANNOYING.

OK, you have a flow divider so most of the volume should go through that and that's why you only have that reducing rubber and the skinny tube. Is the plastic line obstructed? Make sure it can flow freely back to the reservoir. That rubber piece probably needs replacing as that's the original Ligarex clip. Is it split if you remove the clamp? It's NLA (NFP) per the parts catalogue but you can replace it by using a short length of small diameter hose inside another that will fit onto the regulator. That little plastic olive is often meant to slip inside the end of the rubber to stop it popping off.

On the plus side of the ledger, the recently replaced O2 sensor seems to have improved the distinctly rich-smelling idle. So it's not all bad news.

On the negative side, I probably didn't need to drop almost $300 on 20l of LHM

Also - noted on the plastic olive. I didn't know if that's meant to be a stop or like a bead

That reminds me, I must get under my BX and find out why and where there is a slow LHM drip.

That reminds me, I must get under my BX and find out why and where there is a slow LHM drip.
Lolz! I *wish* I had a slow drip 🙃

Not a drip to be seen right now. I've cleaned up under the car and closed up the garage. Now that it knows I'm not looking, it'll empty 4 litres of LHM onto the concrete...

• Haha
Reactions: UFO
The rubber piece is probably hard and you will break it trying to get the 'olive' inside. If it is rock hard, the clamp may not be able to tighten it onto the plastic tube to seal it.