3rd party rear vision camera issue

Brodie Shields

Fellow Frogger
I have just fitted a (cheap Chinese) rear vision camera to my 306 T9, using WiFi connection. The camera and WiFi transmitter are powered by the reverse light , i.e on when reverse selected. The screen and WiFi receiver are powered from the Cig lighter fuse. i.e. are on when the ignition is on.
1. Turn the ignition on and select reverse - the screen lights up as expected.
2. Start the engine and immediately select reverse, the screen lights up for a couple of seconds and then off.
3. Stop and restart the engine, then select reverse, and no screen at all.
4. If I start the engine and wait several seconds before selecting reverse, still no screen.
I have checked while in step 2 and 3, the reverse camera is on indicated by the little lights, and power is still on the screen.
The screen has a dual video input, and it does not matter which input is used.

The only thing I can think of is that something is interfering with the WiFi signal a few seconds after the engine starts. If so, I may just fit a looong RCA cable.

This is doing my head in - does anyone have any ideas?

wifi is shit .... i wouldn't bother with it. having said that, do your reversing lights work ? ie: is the camera power up :)

This has really done my head in. I have run a co-ax cable (eliminating the WiFi connection) from the camera to the screen, but the same problem exists.

1. with the ignition on and reverse selected, the screen shows up perfectly
2. for 2-3 seconds after the engine start, the screen shows up if reverse is selected in that time. If selected AFTER several seconds - no screen.

I have double-checked that power is on at the screen (off the cig lighter) and the camera is powered up indicated by the 4 little IR lights.

How on earth does the running engine turn the screen off?

Is the screen susceptible to varying supply voltage, caused by charging? Can you put a volt meter on the lighter?

Is the screen susceptible to varying supply voltage, caused by charging? Can you put a volt meter on the lighter?
I'll give that a try. But the power specs for the screen are 9-32V, so, not likely due to power.

The other curious thing is when re-starting the engine, and selecting reverse immediately - no screen.

try an independent power supply at either/both ends and see what happens ? Run the camera off a relay ?
Sounds like an outfit to avoid, which offering is it ?
Bob

Found it! I had connected the camera directly to the reverse light, not thinking about CanBus. Fortunately, I have a tow bar, so I also have an isolating relay box for the trailer wiring. Connected the camera to the other side of the relay and now all is good.

Cheers,