306 Theromofan

Still a trouble!

Have been trying various options for the last month and still have the same problem. Went to Auto Electrician recommended by a Transmec, they spent time looking at it only to say there was nothing wrong. I doubted this, took it for a drive and brought it back with the temp running at around 108 and only low speed fans on (with Aircon on). Went through the exactly same procedure with the Pegeot dealer here. he did look at the Bitron and said the contacts were clean. Why won't people believe what customers tell hem!

The dealer now believes it may be a sticking thermostat and wants to change it. This seems illogical to me so I would appreciate any comments. If the thermostat was sticking and restricting or preventing waterflow wouldn't the engine run hot regardless of road or fan speed?

In summary the deal is:

On open road @ 80-100k or sensor disconnected so thermofan runs at high speed the engine runs at around 80 degrees regardless of ambient temperature.

In suburban driving with lots of stop-start the engine will get to around 115 degrees in around 30 minutes.

After 110 degrees high speed cuts in sometimes, but not always, and not for long.

Any more ideas??

The Bitron contacts don't get dirty in a visible way.
They are tinned with solder and need a good scrape.

The extent to which the thermostat may be sticking will affect the circumstances under which it will cause the engine to get hot.
For easy driving, the water flow may be sufficient, but not for stop-start traffic.
In stop-start traffic, the water pump doesn't spin fast, and the water flow is reduced.
On the road at 80-100km/h, there is good water flow, and also plenty of cooling air blowing through the radiator.

The Xantia had the original 92ºC thermostat replaced with an 82ºC one.

Next idea would be to check that there is no air in the cooling system.
If it's just got water in it, instead of glycol, the water will simmer at relatively low temperatures, and cause build-up of steam in the system.
With engine idling, open the highest vent valve to let any air out, and then close it when coolant comes out.
The highest vent valve should be on the top heater hose.

The colour of the coolant will be an indication of what it is, and also how old and clean it is.
Clean coolant is either green or orange, depending on the make and type.