1397 piston and liner kit

In my youth we used to fit 203 Pug liners and pistons into R10 blocks. They were better than a snug fit so between cylinders 1 and 2, and, 3 and 4 where the liners met they had to be machined flat to fit and we called them "siamese pairs". I don't remember what capacity it gave us but it certainly, with head work, decent carbies, a cam and extractors, made them get up and boogy.
FLASH

4cvg you are 4 and a half years too late. What were you doing at 1:54 am to prompt this answer now?

4cvg you are 4 and a half years too late. What were you doing at 1:54 am to prompt this answer now?

Hunting on the bloody web for piston/liner kits & up came this old thread, so . . .

Does anyone actually have a source?

cheers! Peter

4cv I ended up boring my 810 - 1289 block to the 812 bore than turned down the 1397 sleeves to fit . This allowed me to bore out the sleeves to 77mm easily with lots of sleeve left for the bottom end section to fit into the block ! I am going to use a 1108 crank with 1565cc the 77mm flat top pistons and the 1397 rods which I think works out to 1340 cc short stroke motor with a lightened fly wheel this should give me a quick revving motor . This only works using the 1108 shorter stroke crank however I think the 1470 A block pistons would also possibly be an option considering it runs a shorter stroke crank . The only other options would be to have the 1397 sleeves bored to a custom piston possibly from a motor bike supplier !

I am only using up old stock that I have around so I can play a little .

Manic gt

Peter,

I currently have two sets of 1397 pistons and liners.

I'm unlikely to get around to rebuilding my spare engine.
Located in Melbourne.

Message me if you are still looking.

Ian

Peter,

I currently have two sets of 1397 pistons and liners.

I'm unlikely to get around to rebuilding my spare engine.
Located in Melbourne.

Message me if you are still looking.

Ian

Many thanks for your offer. PM just sent.

cheers! Peter

Peter,
If that doesn't work then Precision International in Melb have 4 off Mahle units (piston and liner) at $254.00 per unit. As well as bearings and quite a bit more engine spares.

Ray

Peter,
If that doesn't work then Precision International in Melb have 4 off Mahle units (piston and liner) at $254.00 per unit. As well as bearings and quite a bit more engine spares.

Ray

You really shouldn't put temptation in peoples' way like that. Hardly expensive either. :) They've a very competent website, from my quick look.

I imagine the R8 might go a bit faster than with the 956 cc set on my shelves....

Last edited:
John,
The 1108 piston sleeves are $340 (?) for a set of 4 and the last time I was talking to them they had 3 sets.

Ray

Pretty big price differential per set for the 1108 versus the 1397, or did I misunderstand what you meant by "per unit"?

I shall, I hope, be buying Ian's Argentinian kit but I did find one very expensive kit on eBay in Spain & the South African mob mentioned in the original part of the thread have them. At the moment, the South African mob are "Plan B". Or perhaps "Plan C". Only one cylinder is down on compression & if my Renault guy can scout up a decent piston then we'll perhaps try that. In the meantime, I'll gladly take up Ian's offer (yet another example of the camaraderie of Froggers!).
Ray's Mahle lead is appreciated but, as with KB, the cost astounds me & I would probably not go further with it unless it were to be the only option.

cheers! Peter

cheers! Peter

Yes KB, "per unit" is One piston/liner. I have not normally found Mahle that expensive. They are good quality, but not overly expensive. I will admit I like to get oversize pistons from something else and bore. I will go looking for some 77mm pistons when the time comes for my motor.

Ray

Wow. I missed the meaning of "per unit" completely. You'd need to want the Mahle items very seriously indeed!

Only one cylinder is down on compression & if my Renault guy can scout up a decent piston then we'll perhaps try that.

Save the time and effort, just do a full engine rebuild for another 20 odd years of use. If a Renault Sierra motor drops a piston, it is normally age related, the top ring starts breaking up, hence loss of compression. If you replace just the one piston, the others will just follow.

From memory on these 1397cc engines the top ring on # 1 cylinder has a habit of breaking causing the low compression.

I have had it happen to me once and have found it on other 1397cc engines that I have dismantled.

Peter,

Ray

Pretty big price differential per set for the 1108 versus the 1397, or did I misunderstand what you meant by "per unit"?

Yes KB, "per unit" is One piston/liner. I have not normally found Mahle that expensive. They are good quality, but not overly expensive. I will admit I like to get oversize pistons from something else and bore. I will go looking for some 77mm pistons when the time comes for my motor.

Ray

I'm suprised that you can actually get a single piston/liner/ring combo, I have only ever seen a complete set of four usually costing in the $300 to $400 range

From memory on these 1397cc engines the top ring on # 1 cylinder has a habit of breaking causing the low compression.

I have had it happen to me once and have found it on other 1397cc engines that I have dismantled.

And 1108 engines.... Eventually.