306 / 405 Coil on plugs
  • Help

Default 306 / 405 Coil on plugs

Will the 306 / 405 Coil on plug physically fit on a 1.9 Mi16 head? I'm looking at the individual coil system for after market engine management.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2907715201...84.m1423.l2649

Advertisement
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

i think it would be ok if you have the 2l valve cover, ive got one for the same purpose, plus it looks much better than the 1.9 one
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

So the head is the same? I was going to go for LS1 Coils but this may be better.

Don't do it. They're a disaster. In addition to failing at random, you'll also need two ignition modules. LS1/LS2 is much better. They can be driven directly in pairs from the ECU. Send your Mi16 insulators to Thundercords and they will make Magnecor leads to fit the LS1 coils for approx. $20 each.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Or you can go to your local parts dealer and grab a set of leads from a series 2 EA Falcon. These fit the LS1 coils perfectly and are long enough on the plug end that you can get them on and off the plugs without too much trouble. You also get a couple of spares. My LS1 coils are mounted to the firewall on an aluminium bracket and have never been a problem. Mind you, my car never idles around in traffic.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

Thanks Peter & Racing405. It looks like I have landed a set of 8 LS1's so I will have 4 to move on when they arrive. I will go that route. I have seen some pugs overseas with the coils mounted within the windscreen wiper section under the plastic "vent" section of the engine bay. Would this be any advantage - keeping the coils away from heat?

i could be interested in the other 4 coils. do the ls1 coils have there own igniters? i was palnning to run my engine wasted spark mode just to get it going, using the existing coil pack. i would need to by 1 x 2 channel ignitor for wasted spark mode or 2 x 2 channel ignitors for full sequential.

how do you set up the LS1 coils?

Oh jeez that's one for you Peter. As far as I know, they have their own igniter and are run straight from the ECU (as long as the ECU supports individual coils)

Good info on coils here..

http://www.megamanual.com/seq/coils.htm
    Last edited by PugMonkey; 13th September 2012 at 10:30 AM.

It's very simple.

Ignition Output 1 from ECU goes to Coil #1, pin C and Coil #3, pin C
    Ignition Output 2 from ECU goes to Coil #2, pin C and Coil #4, pin C

If you choose to use the standard XU10J4R coil pack, you will either need to buy two ignition modules, or a dual channel ignitor such as this:

http://www.haltech.com/store/index.p...and-paste.html

Note that in both cases these are "DUMB" ignitors and as such you need to specify the saturation time in ms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 306 / 405 Coil on plugs-ls1-coils.jpg  
    Last edited by PeterT; 13th September 2012 at 01:17 PM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

ok so im guessing they have ignitors built into them, and no need for me to buy any ignitor.Peter if wired like above diagram does that make it wasted spark? i will have 4 iginition outputs on my ecu so could wire each coil individually for sequential? i was planning on running sequential fuel not sure if you can run wasted spark and squential fuel together?

Yes, the LS1 coils have built-in ignitors, so no additional hardware is necessary. If connected as above it will give wasted spark, as two cylinders (eg 1 and 3) will fire at the same. The only way you can have true direct fire is if you have a cam sensor (in addition to the TDC sensor) and four dedicated ignition output channels from the ECU. As you can imagine, there is no advantage in this case. The only disadvantage is the coils may wear out twice as fast, but doubtful.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

thanks peter thought that was the case am planning to run a cam sensor for fuel. my engine tuner isnt sure if the ecu can run wasted spark and seq fuel together or fuel needs to be batch fire mode to suit wasted spark. got some homework top do but ls1 coils sounds like a good move either way.

pugmonkey pm sent re coils

Thread Information