XN1 electronic ignition conversions?
  • Help

Default XN1 electronic ignition conversions?

Hi all,
    anyone had any experience with the Pertronix 'Ignitor' electronic ignition conversion in a 2 litre 504 motor? I currently have had a Piranha system in for the last 9 months, and while it runs beautifully with this system, it has now twice let me down with wiring/connection issues related directly to this system, and will also occasionally lose all spark intermittently while driving along. It is my only vehicle, does some long trips in remote areas, and I really can't afford to be stranded again. I'm seriously considering going back to points, which at least I can sort enough to get me home. I know there is the electronic '123' replacement distributor, which is apparently very well made, but they are also very expensive. The Pertronix appeals on paper because it fits inside the distributor with no external module and resultant wiring-I'm not overly impressed with the quality of the Piranha system, or the amount of additional wiring required. I've also been told it also uses a more reliable(magnetic) system of triggering the spark than the Piranha, but I'm no auto electrician! Any thoughts? Cheers,
    Nigel

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Bailey View Post
    Hi all,
    anyone had any experience with the Pertronix 'Ignitor' electronic ignition conversion in a 2 litre 504 motor? I currently have had a Piranha system in for the last 9 months, and while it runs beautifully with this system, it has now twice let me down with wiring/connection issues related directly to this system, and will also occasionally lose all spark intermittently while driving along. It is my only vehicle, does some long trips in remote areas, and I really can't afford to be stranded again. I'm seriously considering going back to points, which at least I can sort enough to get me home. I know there is the electronic '123' replacement distributor, which is apparently very well made, but they are also very expensive. The Pertronix appeals on paper because it fits inside the distributor with no external module and resultant wiring-I'm not overly impressed with the quality of the Piranha system, or the amount of additional wiring required. I've also been told it also uses a more reliable(magnetic) system of triggering the spark than the Piranha, but I'm no auto electrician! Any thoughts? Cheers,
    Nigel
    The 505 inductive trigger distributor will fit straight into a 504.
    You will need the remote module that goes with distributor a well.

Avoid the 505 SLI distributors like the plague.

Check the advance bellows are intact before you purchase the dissy.

Some 505 SR and GR were fitted with electronic ignition systems.

Robmac, could you please tell us what the issue is with SLI dizzies ? I have one as a spare.
    As far as I remember, some electronic dizzies have 3 wires coming from them, and others have 2. Which one is the SLI ? (I'm not 100% sure my spare dizzy is from an SLI....it may only be the coil which is. It's a quite large transformer-type coil).

Yes, the 505 ones are great, and the advance curve is compatible with a 504. I haven't had a problem with them at all. You will need dizzy, module and coil. You cannot use the old coil from a points setup with an electronic dizzy. However I believe that an electronic coil from another car will do (someone may well prove me wrong here). You can see the difference externally....the wires are usually soldered on, rather than being attached by spade connectors or small nuts.
    Last edited by Beano; 9th September 2012 at 02:32 PM.

The Sli dissy, or the one I have has an adjustable vacuum capsule. It also has a screw retained Bosch style right angle lead type cap.

Parts are made from unobtanium and none of the service people can replace the diaphragm, unlike the Ducellier versions.

It was meant as warning not to base a project around a SLI dissy.

The Ducellier units, on the other hand, are able to be serviced. Capsules can have diaphram replaced. The lead coming out of the unit is twin shielded cable.

Most of standard Bosch inductive modules are compatible. This the way I did the conversion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XN1 electronic ignition conversions?-hei-01.jpg  

Thanks for the feedback and photo Robmac. What plug leads are you using there?
    Nigel

The plug leads are generic speed shop about 9.5mm diameter. They are available in various lengths. I "mocked up"a set of leads from scrap cable and measured them, then purchased the nearest length.

The rubber doovers in the plug tube are from an OHC Toyota engine, most of the FWD biscuit barrel style Toyotas uses them , $2 ea.

The 9.5 leads are super tight in the rubber cover - use rubber grease to ease them through. The leads plug straight onto a 505 nylon insulated plug HT extender. You can bend the bayonet of the plug tube a little bit to make the dust covers a tighter fit.

Thread Information