Clicking noise - 205 GTI
  • Help

Default Clicking noise - 205 GTI

Ok so i posted a while ago about a noisy 205, originally thinking that something may have been loose in the bellhousing, i removed the gearbox, and replaced the clutch, not finding anything out of the ordinary, i put it all back together, and the sound is still there...

I have posted a video up on Youtube which demonstrates the noise very clearly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTYFx_tnu-M&feature=plcp

Advertisement

I originally thought it was CV joints, but now it is just confusing me as it is happening at idle as well...to add even more confusion, it only happens at idle sometimes, not very often

I have already brought it to a mechanic and he reckoned bell housing/gearbox area.. But didn't know what it could be...

COL

HI Jack205

Maybe a bearing in the gearbox if the noise is still there when the car is stationary its not the CV's or the diff.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

I reckon it's your clutch bearing telling you it's gone. Does it silence when you step on the clutch?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

The original thought was clutch bearing. And the mechanic telling me it was coming from the bell housing, prompting me to remove the gearbox, and replacing the clutch and thrust bearing, it is still making the same noise now its all back together...Also, just took it for another drive, Whilst turning i turned the engine off, and no longer heard the noise..ruling out anything that is not engine rotation related

Fellow Frogger!

Do you remember the noise being there before you changed the cylinder head?

If it wasn't there before, it's probably cylinder head/timing related, I'd go back through and check everything you've had off and put back on. Is the camshaft thrust washer in correctly and securely? I think you said you changed the water pump, what about the tensioner bearing?

At the end of the video, the noise keeps going at idle and it sounds like something I had.

Check the screws that screw into the face of the alternator. Mine vibrated loose and the screw heads were hitting the inside fins of the fan on the front of the alternator.

From memory, the screws hold on the bearing cover. The noise was the head of the screw intermittently sliding out of the hole, hitting the fan and bouncing back into the hole.

Moo
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    At the end of the video, the noise keeps going at idle and it sounds like something I had.

Check the screws that screw into the face of the alternator. Mine vibrated loose and the screw heads were hitting the inside fins of the fan on the front of the alternator.

From memory, the screws hold on the bearing cover. The noise was the head of the screw intermittently sliding out of the hole, hitting the fan and bouncing back into the hole.

Moo
    I was thinking the same, or at least my thoughts were to start eliminating with the easy stuff first.
    I figure an alternator is easier to replace than a clutch.

Jo

Could it have an electric fuel pump..?
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Dave, the noise wasnt there before changing the cylinder head, but it did not develop straight after for that matter either! It randomly started happening whilst highway driving..
    Camshaft thrust washer doesn't exist on the S3's right? I will double check the tensioner bearing and that area.. It does sound like its coming from the lower half of the engine though, but i can imagine the location of sounds can often be quite deceptive, to make it even more annoying i can only get it to happen sometimes at idle anyway..

Moo, Alternator bolts are all secure, but thanks for the suggestion,

Oh and the clutch is already ruled out as i have already gone and replaced it!

Also there is no reason fuel pump would start making noises only whilst turning right? not left or all the time?

Fellow Frogger!

The SI head (same as the later DKZ/S3 head) I put on my DFZ block definitely had a thrust washer. I think most had thrust washers, but it does appear on some later cars the camshaft was held in place by one of the bearing caps. Reason I think you should check this is you say the noise happens rarely at idle, more so when you're driving around corners, so I'm wondering if the noise is the unsecured camshaft being thrown around.

Default Clicking noise - 205 GTI

I think it's time to check top of engine especially if the noise wasn't there before head reconditioning, Start it up, listen with screwdriver on cam cover to see if you can locate the area. If nothing heard I'd still then remove cover to check cam shaft and buckets and to check if anything needs tightening.

If nothing found I would book in some hoist time and use the the same listening technique for lower half of engine. Good luck.

I dont think it sounds like its coming from anything inside the motor. SOunds like as already suggested that it may be a loose bolt/mount. A mates 205 had a similar noise and it turned out to be the engine rubbing on the chassis as the gearbox mount was incorrectly adjusted. I slackened the bolts, pushed it over and the noise disappeared.

It sounds like when its loading up, something, or some part is vibrating/touching.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

In the video at 6 seconds, where the noise completely dissapears in bump is a clue that is worth investigating.

Jo

Any progress here ?
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Not yet,
    I dont think it is anywhere at the top end as Dave and andrew suggested, doesnt sound like its coming from there, it sounds much lower down, plus i have already taken the cam off and changed shims etc without effecting the noise, and also double checked everything was tight!
    Cam85, the main reason i believe it would be coming from the rotation of the engine is the fact that when i am turning a corner and turn off the car mid corner, the noise stops, which kinda rules out a lot of factors, if its not coming from the upper half of the motor, and as i have already taken the gearbox off i am reasonably confident its not coming from the bellhousing/clutch area, i really dont know what is left to check.

Getting it up on a hoist is probably the next best bet, but the problem with that is the inconsistency of it happening at idle. It is so much louder when it happens to occur at idle and you get your head underneath the car, i would be very suprised if it was coming from the upper half of the engine!

At this stage i have gone through about 2 tanks of fuel and the noise has not really changed or got any worse, it drives really nicely, so i guess at the moment i am taking the approach of drive it until it breaks, then i will know whats wrong...not the best approach to take if it is an engine noise, but then again, i am sure i could turn that into a positive and do a mi16 or GTI6 conversion without the looming guilt of destroying a good car!

Being really busy at the moment is not helping as i havent had a chance to take a proper look ( for the 50th time!)

COL

Hi Jack205

When the car is idling does the noise go away when you put your foot on the clutch pedal and push it to the floor? if it does the problem is in the gearbox.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

did you check the fit of the clutch throw out brg on the input shaft before you assmebled motor and box? also did you checkg/box input shaft for play? not saying that this is the problem. something i have learnt from past experiences is, just because you replace something with a new part/item doesnt always make it right! alot of new stuff is cheap junk.

Noise stays there regardless of whether or not clutch is engaged. Yeah, i made sure the thrust/throw out bearing was a nice fit, got the better quality clutch out of the two options from Caravelle, Also, the sound didnt change at all in frequency of occurence or type of tone between before and after clutch was replaced. Input shaft didnt seem to have play, but it wasn't something i took particular care in checking so i could be wrong

Thread Information