question re haltech and mi16
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default question re haltech and mi16

is $2200 a reasonable price to install a 500 sprint and dyno my mark 1 mi, the very knowledgeable
    fellow, who seemed to like the pugs ,wants to fit i think a 4012 for $3200 which he says is superior, but really i think an old fart like me just wants to play, so upping the mapping with a 500 sprint should do, would appreciate advice, however cruel and condescending, i will not cry......aloud, regards fish.

Advertisement

Do you mean with the ECU included in the price?

$2200 is good price if that includes ECU, parts and dyno tuning. The RRP of the 500 is approx. $1050 from memory. To that he'll need to add a TPS and make an adaptor plate to fit the standard throttle body. You also need to add an air temp sensor. The OEM coolant sensor can be retained but it needs the curve adjusting in the software. He'll also need to provide three relays (and bases), a fuse block and wire it up. Don't forget new injector plugs, a plug for the crank sensor, coolant and temp sensors. You'll be able to use the internal MAP sensor in the 500. So I'm adding up to approx $1300 just in parts. In some ways the 1000 is better value as the loom has relays, fuses etc. already done.

The 500 is more than capable of running a 4 cylinder on multipoint fuel and distributor ignition. My 2L track car now has a 500 running sequential fuel and direct fire ignition, making full use of all the fuel and ignition outputs. It also has enough other outputs to control things like thermo fans, tacho, shift light etc. if desired.

If a reasonably standard engine, I'd be asking for both the fuel and the ignition to be tuned via the MAP sensor. You'll get a much better result than by TPS tuning.

Make sure he doesn't cut the HOME trigger cable. You may wish to add this option at a later date.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Default thanks for info

appreciate advice very much, yes , does include parts, and sounds like he is doing a lot, so ill budget 2500, eh, im wondering if fitting bigger injectors, like magna, and throttle body, ive heard commodore, would be a good move before doing the remap, or leave it with just a good air delivery system, anyway, looking forward to a developmental excercise, thanks again, regards fish.
    I have a mk 2 daily driver now so the mk 1 can get a tune up.

That sounds very cheap, but not unbelievable.

I spent much more than your proposed $2.5k and that was doing everything myself.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Default ok ta

he quoted 1k for the 500 kit the rest on labour and dyno, he is pug experienced and thats all they do, tuning, so sounds like its do it, thanks for advice, he says power and performance up 15 percent, maybe 20 because its an mi and rather sleepy, says they respond well to mapping, so guess ill get back with great joy or no money, dead car, hey what could go wrong, old ar, revving crap out of it under load, new technology, regards fish.

I would definitely fit bigger injectors at time of installation, as standard injectors are at their limit. Anything else is a waste of money. Performance will definitely be up. I have a S1 Mi16 running a 1000. Goes great.

Definitely make sure the price includes new connectors for injectors etc., as the old ones are too brittle and impossible to use. I'll take a picture of my latest 500 install for your reference.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Default thank again

am logging all advice, will present to him and finalise quote, i dont mind surprises but a benchmark always helps the guy paying, what injectors would you suggest Peter, i have a set of v6, mitsubishi ones which am told are the next size up....thanks, fish

Fish, is this workshop on the far northside?
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Fellow Frogger!

Default no mate

genuine bonifido bogan westside tune shop with dyno, and when i used the purgot word he said cool used to work at the pug dealer , knows the mi motors and welcomed the job, so thought wow, this will do. have you been away yet james or still leaving, want to see ur mi, petra came home in the 205 with all fans and warning lights blazingtoday...poor pug. baked it.

Thread Information