An intersting start to the day
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default An intersting start to the day

I was just getting Carolyn her first cup of coffee this morning when this strange bloke came wandering up the ramp to the house. Most people would be looking for petrol when they "ran out" of "go-juice" in front of our place. This time the request was for a quick charge of his car's batteries. Dave, because that was his name, had built his own electric car and had misjudged the distance he had to travel when the low battery alarm came on as he was going past our place.
    It runs lithium-ion batteries and apparently if you let them discharge fully they can become irreparably damaged. The batteries are just over 2 volts each and the power the car has is almost 120 V with roughly 15 kilowatts power available. His range at 80 kph is about 70 kms and he missed by 6 kms as that is how far we are from Canungra where he had organised a recharge. A total recharge takes about 4 hours and the car was on charge here for about 20/25 minutes which would take him comfortably into Canungra.
    He built the car 4 years ago and has done just over 45,000 kms since the conversion. It has been clocked at 120 kph (before he chickened out) but he usually, when distance is not a factor, keeps up with the traffic at 80 or 100 kph depending on the speed limits he is in. When the car was petrol driven it cost roughly $7.50 per 100 kms but with the electric engine his charging cost are about $2.20 per 100 kms on full day electricity charges or about $1.00 per 100 kms on overnight reduced electricity charges. Dave estimates that if he covers 100,000 kms or owns the car for 9 years from the date of the conversion he will have amortised the cost of the conversion. That will have been reduced as the cost of fuel has risen from $1.10 per litre when he undertook the conversion to $1.30 to $1.40 now.
    An interesting start to the day.
    FLASH

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails An intersting start to the day-img_2143.jpg   An intersting start to the day-img_2139.jpg   An intersting start to the day-img_2136.jpg   An intersting start to the day-img_2135.jpg   An intersting start to the day-img_2145.jpg  

Banned

thanks, Flash. that is an unusually interesting start to your day, and post.
    i'll bet dave has a good network of friends spread around the countryside..... about 70km apart...

Now that dont happen everyday!!

Good on him for building his own electric car lol
    Wish I could!!

Dave get yourself a decent set of wheels, you only live once.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren5turbo2 View Post
    Dave get yourself a decent set of wheels, you only live once.

Yar, something like this one maybe... (pinched this from Dino)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails An intersting start to the day-capturejrtyuiot.jpg  
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post

Yar, something like this one maybe... (pinched this from Dino)
    well he can't drive it at the moment
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

I don't think he'd change it for any other vehicle. He was really interesting to talk to for the 25 minutes plus cup of tea we gave him. It left very smoothly and quietly. The engine is connected to the original gearbox but he really only uses 3rd with occassional bursts in 4th when on the freeway at 100 kph. He has used 2nd when he got caught in traffic and had to start on a very tight uphill bend.
    FLASH
    PS the solar panel on the roof charges a 12 volt Li-ion battery that runs all the electrical ancillaries like lights, indicators, heater (an electrical element probably out of a toaster with a fan behind it by the look of it), reversing lights, radio, etc.
    Last edited by Flash Car 76; 13th August 2012 at 09:05 PM.

Thread Information