Replacing steering rack on 404 ute.
  • Help

Default Replacing steering rack on 404 ute.

When i bought my 404 ute three years ago, it came with an over hauled steering rack. The present rack has too much play and now I want to use the spare one and fit it. Still, not a job I really wish to under take. What would the estimated cost , hours in labour,be?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bertie View Post
    When i bought my 404 ute three years ago, it came with an over hauled steering rack. The present rack has too much play and now I want to use the spare one and fit it. Still, not a job I really wish to under take. What would the estimated cost , hours in labour,be?
    It's an easy job.

1) Unbolt the steering flector noting steering wheel position/ rack position

2) Remove the two bolts holding the tie rod ends to the rack eyes (remove the split pins first)

3) Undo the two bolts that secure the rack to the cross member

on the last turn of the bolt the rack will hit you!

If you need to remove the tie rods as well omit step2 and carry out step 4

EDIT: I've just realised I'm merging car models. The 404 has one fixed tie rod (track arm) so you need to remove the tapered ball joint from one side at least.

4) Jack the car and secure, remove road wheels
    remove tie rod end nuts after removing split pins
    Remove the tie rod ends form the steering arms using a puller or "two hammer" method
    proceed to step 3

After replacing the rack you should get the toe adjustment set by alignment.

You will need to re-centre the steering wheel by moving it on the splines after alignment

With a two poster to swap a steering rack is 1 1/2 hour job all up. Faster if the underside is cleaned of accumulated grease and crap. Then there is wheel alignment.

I would have a new steering flector on hand because they are nearly always cracked. And this is the time to replace them.Similarly the tie rod ends should be checked and re-kitted if necessary.

Although I assume the "new rack" has new bushes in the ends,the rubber bellows are in good condition and possibly it has recoed tie rods attached.
    Last edited by robmac; 9th August 2012 at 03:29 PM.

Banned

rob, what is a 'flector'?

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    google shows 1,140,000 results for steering flector.

and on P1, an AF entry.
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1883

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    The round rubber/composition disc coupling between the steering rack and the the steering column.

In 404s it had the function of taking up out-of-alignment between the rack and column and also absorbing vibration.

It's a kind of primitive universal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacing steering rack on 404 ute.-steering.jpg  

It would take a Peugeot mechanic about 3/4 to an hour. Then it will need wheel aligning which can take another hour to 1 1/2 to get dead right. Depends on how stuffed nuts and bolts are and if the person has suitable tools. First thing to do is disconnect the battery as the horn will blow the poor bastard's ear ooorf when they lower the rack from the car. (can be very funny if the shed echoes a lot)

Quote Originally Posted by stew View Post
    It would take a Peugeot mechanic about 3/4 to an hour. Then it will need wheel aligning which can take another hour to 1 1/2 to get dead right. Depends on how stuffed nuts and bolts are and if the person has suitable tools. First thing to do is disconnect the battery as the horn will blow the poor bastard's ear ooorf when they lower the rack from the car. (can be very funny if the shed echoes a lot)
    Gee, that doesn't seem a lot of time,still I doubt any mechanic would charge you only 1 or two hours to do do a job like that.

I took the ute to a workshop I never tried yet and the old bloke jacked up the front and declared the steering rack was fine and just needed a new coupling and a good dose of grease. I ordered a new coupling from EAI and my new found repairer which is in Bourke st. Surry hills , will fit it for me and he will also do the brake and clutch master cylinders.

Splendid news! An honest fellow!

Quote Originally Posted by stew View Post
    Splendid news! An honest fellow!
    Correct , especially since I told him I had a reconditioned steering rack ready to go in.

Thread Information