205 GTI Fuel tank leak
  • Help

Default 205 GTI Fuel tank leak

Hi all,

Im basically after a schematic of the fuel tank fuel system before i try to pull it out and determine why it is leaking from the top when i fill the tank. Im under time restrictions so want to know i can complete the whole job in a specific time.

From what i can gather the fuel pump and sender are in the top and it is not leaking from there. and the fuel filler hose is connected down low on the right hand side. Its not leaking from there either.

It is leaking from what appears to be above the tank to the left/middle area when i fill up. I can smell fuel at other points but no leaks unless i am actually filling the car.

Any suggestions or does anyone have a diagram of the fuel tank or system?

Advertisement

Thanks,

Chris

Perhaps this may help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 GTI Fuel tank leak-205tankpipes.jpg  
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thanks Simon.

Thats good.

Does anyone know if the tank comes out quite easily. Obviously after all hoses and wiring is disconnected I just want to know if it drops out simply or is it going to get hung up on the rear beam etc.

Thanks again,

Chris

It's easy enough to get out but a lot harder to get back in, as access to the filler and breather hoses is very difficult.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Peter,

let me know ?
    There are a couple of different types of 206 fuel tanks, cap diameter is different for fuel pump assembly on some.
    I cant get the cap undone on our car , probably glued .
    Any problem swapping the different tanks?

It's most likely the breather. The hose shrinks and comes off at top of tank. When filling at the pump it spills into the breather and come out on top of tank and runs down the back drivers side of tank.

As mentioned easy to half drop tank but a pain to get the hoses back on and done up. The rubber goes hard as flint with zero give. There is a joiner in the wheel arch you will need to most likely undo so give it a good clean in that area.

Before I attempted to fix mine I drained the tank as much as possible and disconnected battery. I thought about replacing breather hose but couldn't free it where it passes through the body from wheel well to top of tank so I undone the breather in arch and managed to stretch it just enough to get it back on top of tank. I used a trolley jack to raise and lower tank. once hose was on and new clamp in place used a 1/4" drive long series screwdriver and socket to tighten clamp. Then refitted tank and breather through arch. Not that easy but it will become clear when your there.

No idea about 206 tanks. This is a thread about 205 tanks.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

And having done mine recently it will most likely be the breather that goes off to the charcoal canister in front left wheel arch. If the hose comes off or possibly it breaks away from tank then you have issues. A good silicon sealant or good glue to reattach it is required, tank out is not too hard, disconnect fuel lines, electrical connectors etc and take you time.

It has two hooks on front lip or seam of the tank these go onto metal tabs to hold the front edge in. the rest is fairly easy.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    And having done mine recently it will most likely be the breather that goes off to the charcoal canister in front left wheel arch. If the hose comes off or possibly it breaks away from tank then you have issues. A good silicon sealant or good glue to reattach it is required, tank out is not too hard, disconnect fuel lines, electrical connectors etc and take you time.

It has two hooks on front lip or seam of the tank these go onto metal tabs to hold the front edge in. the rest is fairly easy.
    If it's the breather that goes to canister does that cause it to leak fuel when filling the tank?

1000+ Posts

It will indeed, it comes out at a lower level than either of pump or sender. In the middle of tank and not reachable unless it out, Be careful as the canister line will stress it as the tank comes out, not good!
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Thread Information