Rough price for average garage to do stem seals..
  • Help

Default Rough price for average garage to do stem seals..

As title I am starting to put money to one side to get my valve seals done on the gti..

Now because I aint that handy when it comes to the tools, what should I roughly be paying and can anyone suggest anywere to take it in WA???

Cheer for any replys or pm in advance

Advertisement

Anyone??

I was thinking around $2k..

Will get the timing belt, tensioner and water pump done at the same time (although I will supply these parts).

Quote Originally Posted by gezza View Post
    Anyone??

I was thinking around $2k..

Will get the timing belt, tensioner and water pump done at the same time (although I will supply these parts).
    I've never just had the seal replaced on a car, and have always done it whilst the head was off.

Just last month I had the local head guy to check the head and replace 8 seals which he had on the shelf. Cost so little I have already forgotten, but it was well under $100.
    A full reco on a crap head has never cost me more than $350 and that includes the gasket kit.

I dont know the pug specifically in regards to its little perks, nor how competent you local guys are, but I'd suspect that $2k would buy a head off full reco with replacement of timing belt/water pump and whatever else is down there and easy to replace.

I know on my car the above would be about one lazy days labour (I'm slow and easily distracted) and about $400 in parts.

Jo

Ahh excellent exactly what I wanted to hear Jo

So me budgeting to $2k should cover it...

I have never had any of the above work done on my cars

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gezza View Post
    As title I am starting to put money to one side to get my valve seals done on the gti..

Now because I aint that handy when it comes to the tools, what should I roughly be paying and can anyone suggest anywere to take it in WA???

Cheer for any replys or pm in advance
    Well both the men I would entrust are near the City.

I donít know of anyone down South.

Mark gets good rep on here but I have not used him.

I use Corrado.

Been a while since I used Burswood but whenever I rang Mr Riley at Eurocars for parts $ / availability he had them at instant recall in his head. Faster than a Mirco Fiche and a POS terminal. Corradoís workmanship I can attest from personal experience is excellent. On my 205Gti I blew a head gasket and didnít have the time to do it myself. He was happy to use my new parts and replaced what needed to be renewed. I have so much faith is his work I was happy to put 5 thousand Kms on the brand new top end on a trip across the bottom end. She sung like a songbird across the Treeless Plain without missing a beat.

Just to get your creative juices flowing I encourage you to do this yourself. A few tools and handy hints and you can achieve this in your garage. Iím apparently a numpty and I could do it so I see no reason why it wouldnít be worth a shot.

You will need some new valve stem seals and I would replace the rockercover, camshaft/ dizzy seals. Grab yourself a few meters of 8 to 10 mm rope or a Valve Spring Remover Installer Compressor Tool Kit from somewhere like Summit Racing.

There are also hand held type Ďpunchesí that remove the retainers too but they are a PITA to use as spring pressure can be quite high and if you are feeble they never Ďpopí the collets out. The overhead lever type is far more controlled and reliable, especially when re assembling the spring retainers.

Smoogled a thread for you to peruse (1st hit was not a Frenchy but shows what needs to be done).

2nd was though - 205GTi forums

I had done this on my wogmobile with a compressor and hose attached to the sparkplug hole and it works fine and is very quick. (Replacing a Spesso racing gasket and Uno Turbo head bolts is not a cheap exercise). I do feel safest with a pile of rope in the cylinder though as once that valve drops into the cylinder itís off with the head.

Rope is a long and dreary process so the choice is yours. Speed versus economy.

Things I remember from Pug 8v cam heads is the cam caps need to be marked so they go back EXACTLY where they came from ( mark with a small pin punch!). I guess they are alignbored at the factory so get them out of order and the cam would probably be in danger of binding.

As long as you were regimental and kept all the valve buckets, shims, keepers, collets and springs in the correct order you should be okay ( remember to keep the shims the same way up, I canít remember why though). The valve clearance should not need redoing if you are not removing the head or facing the valve seats but others no doubt will have other ideas.

A long way to go for 8 little seals me thinks, give it a whirl and save.

93' 205GTi
    'don't force it son - use a bigger hammer'

VIP Sponsor

If you need to change ONLY the valve stem seals ( and not the valve guides) this can be done WITHOUT removing the cylinder head, in fact we did dozens of GTi valve stem seal replacements back in the early '90's. We did it by applying compressed air supply into cylinder, at TDC and compressing spring with a lever tool we made up and hey presto, cylinder by cylinder we replaced the valve/ stem seals.

Fellow Frogger!

Didn't I read Gezza that you'd bought an SI as a donor car? If so, whip the head off that and have a play. Won't cost you much (if you already have a dremel) to do a little bit of DIY port work on the short side radius blending into the throat. If you have a decent drill, vice and grinding disc you can do a DIY back cut of the valves if you want too. Then have a shop do the rest, if it doesn't need new guides, a reco head with multi angle seat cuts shouldn't cost more than $500-600. Swap the heads over and you've got 10.5:1 compression. The result when combined with PeterT camshaft (and Baker pulley) is a little firecracker for not very much money. Looks all original and pulls a fair bit harder than a standard S3.

Yeah dont have a dremel or vice etc lol just got basic tools, socket sets spanners etc.

I have got the si engine fully intact, but was under the impression its differant in a few ways...

Timing belt is well over due, and tbh for me it would just be easier to drop off at a shop, I would get my own new head set (Ie all gaskets/bolts etc) and water pump timing belt and tensioner then just let them do..

Not sure about more power as the 207 gti has enough vroom for me lol

Although it does sound tempting....

Put the Si Head on your GTi block.

Puts fire suit on, grabs beer, chips and a comfy spot on the couch.

Begin.
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

If you don't have an air compressor, or even the special tool to screw into the spark plug hole, then you aren't going to do the stem seals yourself.

Whilst Rod Slater gives sensible advice, I question whether it's worth just doing the stem seals. Depending on the age of the head, it may be better value taking the head of an giving it a full service. The cost of a full service, once you get it off, is going to be <$500 even taking into account the worst ie worn guides and some corrosion welding.

If your current engine is a DFZ, then I'd probably use the Si head along with the Newmans cam that's currently listed in the for sale section.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Cheers Pete
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Yeah I want it to be stock really, Rung Corrado at eurocare will most likely go witgh him now

He was on about doing piston rings as well as fully recondition head...

Gonna get back to me this arvo with a price

Thanks again fellas

Just got off phone to Corrado it's more expensive than I thought

$250 for the head gasket seals/set (no head bolts) $50 for timing belt.

Then $2k/$3k of labour maybe more......

May need to ring around a little or get another engine....

Thread Information