8V GTi head swap
  • Help

Default 8V GTi head swap

I was considering taking the head of one of my 205 GTi's which had the compression upped after it was shimmed following blowing a head gasket.

I intend to put it on my, now daily, so I can enjoy the benefits it has to offer.

Question: Is it possible to unbolt and swap over the heads without having them re-shimmed?

Or is that not desirable?

Of course I could blow $200 on getting it done again the current head...but again its $200

Whats your thoughts?

Advertisement

Julian

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pug-life View Post
    I was considering taking the head of one of my 205 GTi's which had the compression upped after it was shimmed following blowing a head gasket.

I intend to put it on my, now daily, so I can enjoy the benefits it has to offer.

Question: Is it possible to unbolt and swap over the heads without having them re-shimmed?

Or is that not desirable?

Of course I could blow $200 on getting it done again the current head...but again its $200

Whats your thoughts?

Julian
    No more reason than if you took the head off and on the same block.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    No more reason than if you took the head off and on the same block.
    I've heard there is the possibility of it warping ?

False?

So should be safe to unbolt and swap the heads ?

Yes what you've been told is false. Warping of a head generally occurs as a build up of severe engine heat eg. loss of coolant, oil etc.

As Graham suggested it's perfectly safe to simply change over heads good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    Yes what you've been told is false. Warping of a head generally occurs as a build up of severe engine heat eg. loss of coolant, oil etc.

As Graham suggested it's perfectly safe to simply change over heads good luck with it.
    Ahh ripper.

Thanks Graham and Andrew.

Julian

Make sure you use no new head bolts though

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by gezza View Post
    Make sure you use no new head bolts though
    What do you mean???
    If you don't use new bolts you will have to use the tighten to 70 ft lb method, not angle tightening.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    What do you mean???
    If you don't use new bolts you will have to use the tighten to 70 ft lb method, not angle tightening.
    Exactly that, Everyone knows it bad practice to use the old tired stretched main head bolts, Hence I posted make sure you use new head bolts.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by gezza View Post
    Exactly that, Everyone knows it bad practice to use the old tired stretched main head bolts, Hence I posted make sure you use new head bolts.
    So why NO new head bolts, typo?

Lol just re-read my post yeah sorry my bad was typo was meant to just say...now use new head bolts though

OK so new head bolts if I go ahead with the swap.

I believe they put new ones in after the did the head gasket (going back a couple of years).

I was just under the impression they painted the heads of the bolts...thats why they looked new...

Cheers Lads

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by pug-life View Post
    OK so new head bolts if I go ahead with the swap.

I believe they put new ones in after the did the head gasket (going back a couple of years).

I was just under the impression they painted the heads of the bolts...thats why they looked new...

Cheers Lads
    Once they have been angle tightened once they are no longer new.
    If you try and angle tighten them again they won't stretch properly and will either break or pull the threads out of the block. If you simply tighten them to 65 - 70 ft lbs, on the edge of the stretching zone you can reuse them. I usually do this and have never had any problems with head gasket failure, even under competition use.
    Graham

Wouldn't it be wiser to use new head bolts and tighten to 65-70ftlb? Used bolts are already stretched, or more scientifically, have under gone plastic deformation, past their yield point. Using second hand XU head bolts under any situation is a bit like trying to keep a bull in the yard with fencing wire that has been twisted/untwisted too many times.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Wouldn't it be wiser to use new head bolts and tighten to 65-70ftlb? Used bolts are already stretched, or more scientifically, have under gone plastic deformation, past their yield point. Using second hand XU head bolts under any situation is a bit like trying to keep a bull in the yard with fencing wire that has been twisted/untwisted too many times.
    Yes, that's what I do, no point doing anything with bolts that have been angle tightened.

Thread Information