Heavy duty tyre options - 205/65-15
  • Help

Default Heavy duty tyre options - 205/65-15

Mum and Dad live a ways up a gravel road, and do a lot of dirt road driving in the Magna - and its really tough on tyres.

Most normal road tyres wear really fast as they get chipped away by lots of little cuts from the sharp quartz gravel they use on our roads, plus they do a lot of kms... Also want something with blocky tread for the common forays onto muddy roads.

I was thinking about the modern radial "light truck" tyres like the Michelin Agilis, the sort of thing you get on Berlingos and Vito vans etc.

Advertisement

Are they really heavy? Too much of a compromise on handling etc? I know they're certainly bloody expensive, so what other good options are about that might be cheaper?

I sorta want an SUV type tyre in a car size...

8 ply light truck radials will be a bit harsh, but worth it. Especially if they are destroying tyres before they are worn out (cut side walls and tread)

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Mum and Dad live a ways up a gravel road, and do a lot of dirt road driving in the Magna - and its really tough on tyres.

Most normal road tyres wear really fast as they get chipped away by lots of little cuts from the sharp quartz gravel they use on our roads, plus they do a lot of kms... Also want something with blocky tread for the common forays onto muddy roads.

I was thinking about the modern radial "light truck" tyres like the Michelin Agilis, the sort of thing you get on Berlingos and Vito vans etc.

Are they really heavy? Too much of a compromise on handling etc? I know they're certainly bloody expensive, so what other good options are about that might be cheaper?

I sorta want an SUV type tyre in a car size...
    Yokohama Geolander HT/S or AT/S 205-70-15
    http://www.yokohama.com.au/ourtyres/...spx?tyreid=204

Not too much larger in diameter and are the Rolls Royce of SUV tyres.

But they will probably cost more than the vehicle is worth.

Superb tyre 'tho.

The other option is some 16 inch wheels off a Verada and then you have a real choice of SUV tyres.

1000+ Posts

My Xantia wagon has Blue Streak Mystiques on the front (205/60R15, 91H). Surprised to find they are marked M+S, which means Mud and Snow! They have a chunky tread pattern, and rubber compound feels hard.

Grip on wet bitumen not great (ABS cuts in pretty early), but no problem in the dry. They are much better on our wet, slithery, potholed driveway than "ordinary" road tyres - they don't wash out on the corner. Steering at low speeds on bitumen seems a bit heavy.

Did 200 km this afternoon on highway - perfectly happy cruising at 100-120 k/h

Can't really comment on longevity - only had the car a week .

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger!

Fwiw I've pedalled a few Army vehicles (Hi-Ace eg) which get h/d use 'in the field' and are specced with Agilis tyres. These certainly deliver much greater mileage (stouter construction, heaps more tread depth - especially on the outer edge) and durability than the stock-spec Bridgestones retained on other 'light usage' units, yet to my senses the Michelins also seem to grip a bit better on sealed roads and offer a more progressive feel.

Not a sports tyre but genuinely impressed (hence my response) by the compromise found between robustness and adhesion, imo.

I've had Cooper CS4 and CTS on the 505.

They are brilliant, feel like normal car tyres, but last forever and come with a mileage guarantee.

I used to do a lot of mileage on dirt roads, and these outlasted anything else around.

I obviously wouldn't fit them to a racecar, but on the 505 it made no noticeable difference to handling.

Unfortunately the size that I used to fit (195/70R15 i think?) is no longer available, so last time I needed tyres we tried to fit 205/70R15 to it but it hit the strut tower. Sadly I had to go to another brand. Having now gone through about half the tread on the new set in about 25,000kms, I'm seriously considering modifying a set of 505 struts so I can fit the larger coopers next time.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Thanks guys. Agilis would be ideal, but at a grand a set they're out my parents league I'm afraid...

Hankook RA14 looking promising though, they're about 140 a pop I think. Goodyear Cargo another possible maybe.

Failing that its el cheapo stuff like Blue Streak (which is pretty blocky in its tread design) - the high treadwear number helps in this case and they're cheap enough that life expectancy is not an issue.

What about noise?

dino

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    What about noise?

dino
    well, with haakon's brief there will certainly be noise; hopefully though, this will not include the sound of dead tyres flapping about

seriously haakon, i suspect that, with your brief and parental funds, you will be stuck with el cheapo stuff.
    obviously you will be after a few sidewall plies but i'd also suggest reading the sidewall and seeing if your prospective purchase has (in its construction information on the tread plies) not just the sidewall and steel belt plies listed for the tread but a nylon overlay ply (so, say, 2 plies polyester, 2 plies steel and 1 ply nylon).
    these "bandage" plies are zero degree circumferential and help the tyre retain its structural integrity with heat build-up (a hassle with any tyre of the AT or coarser type). also check speed rating and try to get one with a speed rating at leastas high as the OE specs in the owner's manual or tyre placard/plate (insurance hassles)
    my apologies if this constitutes egg-sucking advice.

cheers! peter

ps whatever finally happened about the megane, alignment conical pc2s and so on?

I suspect you're right. They're eternally poor, so two sets of cheapies upfront that works out similar dollars in the long run means less initial outlay...

But no, not egg sucking on comparing construction labels. Know about them of course, but had forgotten to consider such things. The Blue Streak may be the go.

I also have a set of alloys for them to keep inspiring weight down and ease the load on the shock absorbers - Magna steel rims are HEAVY!! But the car copes amazingly well with its use, has hung together and handles it really well. Good car.

Megane is being a hassle. Or more accuratly, getting the Reno agent and the aligner to do what they had a list of things for is tricky. It was supposed to go in for another alignment, but the agent forgot to take it down as organised on the day they had it (where they forgot to investigate half the faults I listed for them and told me the other half were normal. Sigh. This is why I do these things myself, it's just easier...).

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    What about noise?

dino
    What Peter said! Dad had run the current set down pretty far on the front, but he still got a fright when he noticed both fronts had delaminated!! Eeep!

Luckily he is like me and does keep "an eye on things" so didn't get caught with a blowout...

The rough roads just hammer the tyres...

Fellow Frogger!

The 15" Michelin Agillis are dear.
    Not so with the 14" ones for some reason.

I just put a set of 14" 195 Light Truck tyres on .....they are fantastic to ride on, corner with and stop so very well in the wet.
    Cost was $130 a tyre.

By any chance are 14" rims available for your Magna ?

What Peter said! Dad had run the current set down pretty far on the front, but he still got a fright when he noticed both fronts had delaminated!! Eeep!

Luckily he is like me and does keep "an eye on things" so didn't get caught with a blowout...

Maybe he (just like you) needs to keep a slightly keener "eye on things" if the current system allows both tyres to wear down and de-laminate.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Maybe he (just like you) needs to keep a slightly keener "eye on things" if the current system allows both tyres to wear down and de-laminate.

Jo
    I'll admit he let them go further than I would have, but they were not totally bald!

It was structural failure from being hammered I think, rather than letting wear to the point of exposed belts.

It's a point againt the cheap tyres - dollars per km may well be the same for two sets of cheapies vs one set of high quality tough tyres. But there is also a price on a blowout at speed...

The eldest boy has a pair of Blue Streak rim protectors up front of his VS Statesman and they are bloody dreadful! The dealer put them on to pass a RWC and they are tearing the outside edges up after 5000 km's. They look like a serrated knife (?).
    They activate the ABS in conditions that a better tyre wouldn't even notice.
    IMHO they are rubbish. SUV tyres are the best option or something like a second hand rally tyre, Rally teams have heaps of used but not comp standard tyres hanging about.
    The only thing I'd worry about with the LT tyres is are they suitable for Front wheel drive?
    Cheers,
    Brendan

Am veering (boom boom tish....) towards the Agilis type thing. Similar dollars in the long run, but less likely to have another failure that could be scary...

These are not bad looking at $140 a pop...

http://www.tyredealers.com.au/tyres/...14-%28RA14%29/

Could put 14 inch rims on it, but think the car is a bit big (TF wagon) for what would be very baggy tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Yokohama Geolander HT/S or AT/S 205-70-15
    http://www.yokohama.com.au/ourtyres/...spx?tyreid=204

Not too much larger in diameter and are the Rolls Royce of SUV tyres.

But they will probably cost more than the vehicle is worth.

Superb tyre 'tho.

The other option is some 16 inch wheels off a Verada and then you have a real choice of SUV tyres.
    I thoroughly concur with your opinion of the Yokohama. I had a set of AT/S 215H65 x 16 on the RX4 Scenic and it handled beautifully on bitumen, snow, mud and gravel. Very good tyre.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Am veering (boom boom tish....) towards the Agilis type thing. Similar dollars in the long run, but less likely to have another failure that could be scary...

These are not bad looking at $140 a pop...

http://www.tyredealers.com.au/tyres/...14-%28RA14%29/

Could put 14 inch rims on it, but think the car is a bit big (TF wagon) for what would be very baggy tyres.
    depends on whether you want have something coarser for unsealed road use or just a heavier van-type bitumen tyre

The 4cv is in to my local bob jane on friday so I'll have a little chat to them and a browse through their computer

cheers! peter

1000+ Posts

I just had a trawl through Jax's site. Not a tyre type that I normally think about so it's been sort of interesting.

Another van type is the Goodyear G26 which looks fairly meaty and comes with a T (190) speed rating version (as well as an R - 170).

If you are prepared to go down to 195/70-15 (even greater load rating & same outside diameter) & I can't see why not (I can't see an insurance company cavilling but they might - check) then another option beckons.

This is the Bridgstone R623. I mention it for two reasons. The first is that its the meatiest of the treads that I've seen of the available options & so sounds good for your rough road brief. The second is that it's rare in mentioning wet grip. The downside is that it's only R speed rated but as 170 is way in excess of any legal limit, I can't see an insurance company cavilling - but, again, check.

Peter

Cheers Peter. Suspect we're looking for more of a tyre that's just a really robust road tyre. Some of the light truck tyres are more at the truck end of the equation and too heavy for a car I suspect, unsuited to the lighter suspension and handling "finesse" needed.

Realistically, it does far more kms in total on bitumen - a trip into town in about 25 kms each way, with about 7 on dirt. It's just the dirt part is half bush track and half sharp gravel road...

But want to stick with the OE size for handling.

I've suggested Dad have a look at the Hankook and the Goodyear G26 Cargo. It's a shame the Michie Agilis is such a huge step up in price...

Cheers Peter. Suspect we're looking for more of a tyre that's just a really robust road tyre. Some of the light truck tyres are more at the truck end of the equation and too heavy for a car I suspect, unsuited to the lighter suspension and handling "finesse" needed.

Realistically, it does far more kms in total on bitumen - a trip into town in about 25 kms each way, with about 7 on dirt. It's just the dirt part is half bush track and half sharp gravel road...

But want to stick with the OE size for handling.

I've suggested Dad have a look at the Hankook and the Goodyear G26 Cargo. It's a shame the Michie Agilis is such a huge step up in price...
    What you are looking for will probably be un-achievable.

You have requested a compliant tyre with good abrasion resistance, light construction , acceptable handling and excellent wear at the low of the price spectrum.

Unless you are going to fork out $150 or so per tyre you will be battling to meet these requirements.

What price do you put on safety?

Pretty much - its the compliance part (ride comfort) that will be sacrificed in this equation.

The Hankook Looks like it is the closest I'll get to the "ideal" tyre, and $140 will make the olds wince but its not dear for something that can safely and reliably provide some longevity and traction.

Thread Information