Data logging and it's rewards.
  • Help

Default Data logging and it's rewards.

Here is some interesting data logged from my little old 404. I thought some of us, may like to see what Engine Management data logging is and what it can tell us.
    This is a capture of a run yesterday. 2.2l ZDJ Douvrin. Standard apart from rings, new profile cam and valve springs. It runs a Link G3 ECU. Oh it has a t3/t4 Turbo with intercooler and my own design exhaust system.
    The MAP figure of 225 equates to 18 psi boost. WB Oxy is the mixture table where you can see 12.63:1 (12. to 13.5 is about dead on for max power) RPM is 4270. This is in 3rd gear at 60 mph. We gave it some more welly and achieved 18psi through to 6700 rpm with about 12.7:1 all the way through. Also note we can log air and coolant temp, timing injector duty cycle, many more things.
    Adjustments are made to the fuel graph percentages, relative to manifold pressure and engine revs.
    For interest's sake 6700 in 3rd is 94 mph (150kph). One more gear to go, too. At 150 kph in top gear the engine is at 4720rpm with, you guessed it, 18psi at the touch of the right foot.
    100kph is 3150 rpm in top.
    Lakeside beckons in the future!

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Data logging and it's rewards.-404-2.2l-18-psi.jpg  

Cool, I'll be looking over that later today when I've finished helping other fuego owners in need.
    (One is pulling an engine down and I planted the seed of doom in him yesterday by showing him the german ring set 22 thou top gap).

Jo

Can you add and subtract channels? Does the G3 have memory for internal data logging?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Jo you are a naughty little boy!

The Link G3 has been superceded now by the Atom and G4.
    I can fit different items to log, yes. At the moment Ign angle, coil dwell, iat, ect, rpm,map, mgp,revs, tps,oxy. It does have limit warning or log if that happens for map or revs relative to iat, ect, etc. I find it extrordinary that the tools today can not only measure mixture to 2 decimal points but do so 12.6 times a second! The LS1 will data log 32 channels if you use the Aux Box and wire up sensors as well.
    The PC Link software lets me run through the test drive and chart 7 parameters as well as look at guages and graphs while running through the memory. You can even change and save fuel/ign whatever while the file is running! Amazing.

Many years ago, in the early 90's, we use to enter "special" cars in the Shell Mileage Marathon at Amaroo Park. One of our cars had a twin cam, single cyl. 34cc, fuel injected engine that ran a Haltech E6. It didn't have any onboard ram, so we had to data log to a laptop. We data logged an entire 17min run. Even though we came first in our class with approx 900mpg, we analyzed every injection pulse over the next 12 months and went back the next year with approx. 1100mpg, only to come second! The only thing data logging won't tell you is the torqued produced from the ignition advance. There is no substitute for a dyno for that.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

In my current setup at over run, I'm seeing about the same MAP numbers as yours.

Was wondering about that.

Looking at the AFR at 0 throttle, are you going to have fuel cut on over run??

Jo
    Last edited by jo proffi; 28th July 2012 at 09:46 PM.

No, I tried that and couldn't get it smooth enough. The mixture is still very lean on the overun at 15.5 and it's smooth, so I'm going to leave it at that for the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by stew View Post
    No, I tried that and couldn't get it smooth enough. The mixture is still very lean on the overun at 15.5 and it's smooth, so I'm going to leave it at that for the moment!
    Luckily on my car the transition from fuel to no fuel is smooth.
    I did pull the fuel cut function off, but it seemed easier to tune the fuel cut than it was to tune the right mixture and timing for a non bubbling and farting exhaust.

One of the reasons I begun to dislike the factory renix EFI rig and started lookng for alternatives was it was lumpy in those transitions at around 3% throttle opening, and as I do a fair stack of driving down hill on fractional throttle opening, it was a PITA driving like a foreign taxi driver.
    I actually found myself explaining to passengers that it was not me doing the surging, it was the car.

Jo

How goes the tuning? Have you tried my advance curve at all?

Nope, too busy doing stuff for other people at the moment and have not had decent slab of time to myself to compare it to my map.

And besides, until I get my head around charge temp calculations and iron out the temp VS AFR changes, there is no point in doing anything else.
    Too many changes and I'll lose the plot and have to pay someone else to buger it up for me instead.

Jo

It becomes easy if the ignition is constant and dead on. Me thinks sit und do der ignichun und der fuel will become muchen betterer

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    .... The only thing data logging won't tell you is the torqued produced from the ignition advance. There is no substitute for a dyno for that.
    Have you seen these things Peter?

http://www.aemelectronics.com/dyno-s...man-series-74/

I all likelyhood complete crap, but its an idea at least.

Paul.
    Lets just say we have a few pugs about!

Quote Originally Posted by Hipcrostino View Post
    Have you seen these things Peter?

http://www.aemelectronics.com/dyno-s...man-series-74/

I all likelyhood complete crap, but its an idea at least.

Paul.
    At $1100, you be expecting it to work.

Jo

Looks like it bolts in behind a conventional RWD gearbox, in place of driveshaft. I know it says it measures torque by strain gauges, but goodness know how you dissipate the heat from 250kW let alone 75kW!

Whist you can tune AFR's on the road, you simply can't get ignition timing correct by guessing on the road. Once you've done the fuel with a "best guessed" ignition table, you then tune the ignition table by holding a dyno at various load points. As you +/- the ignition timing, you can see the Nm increase/decrease. When it peaks, that's it. Then you have to go back and do the fuel again, as that load point will now be leaner due to the extra fuel required to make the increase in torque. Obviously you don't have to do it this way, and you can just use a typical dizzy curve, but the benefits of having mappable ignitions means you'd put the effort/$$ into the tuning. That's where the rewards are.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information