Torque balance in Quaife
  • Help

Default Torque balance in Quaife

Ok tech heads, has anyone out there ever stripped their Quaife LSD and had it re-set to be more active?

Advertisement

I really want to get a lot less spin on the inside wheel than I still suffer. I remember reading something about a "coke can shim" on the forum, but can't find it using the search tool.

Any experience or information that can be handed on would be appreciated.

Cheers.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

I'm not a tech head so hopefully others will reply. From what I do understand Quaife uses sets of helical cut gear pinions that ' float ' in pockets and that mesh during normal driving.

When a wheel spins they are able to move in these pockets and transfer torque to the non spinning wheel. Because of this design I can't see how they could possibly be adjusted in any way as there are no plates or clutches or discs involved.

Perhaps you need to look at suspension set up so that both drive wheels stay on the ground. The LSD you have requires there to still be some traction available on the tyre on the inside of the turn, unlike the plate style units that are ugly to drive in a FWD, but can indeed by "ramped " up via a thin brass shim, to raise the point at which the LSD breaks away.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    I'm not a tech head so hopefully others will reply. From what I do understand Quaife uses sets of helical cut gear pinions that ' float ' in pockets and that mesh during normal driving.

When a wheel spins they are able to move in these pockets and transfer torque to the non spinning wheel. Because of this design I can't see how they could possibly be adjusted in any way as there are no plates or clutches or discs involved.
    Quaife are a torsen LSD. The "the thrust" of the helical sets when loaded determine the torque bias, less clearance more thrust = more torque transfer.

Read the Quaife website.

Basically as already stated......

+ 1 for Alans suggestion

I always thought they were non-adjustable too. How tight is your rear? Is the car caged? Maybe it's your driving style?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Peter, for sure the biggest limiting factor in my car is the lack of talent behind the steering wheel.

I think it is time to upgrade front and rear anti roll bars, but I would love to get more traction on the inside wheel when slightly unloaded.

I caught up with John Austin over the weekend, and he can drive a lot better than me, but was still having drive issues in the same corners.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

Ah, the bottomless pit of motorsport. You'll just need to dig deeper and buy one of these:

http://www.drexler-motorsport.com.au/products.html

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information