Shaved door locks
  • Help
    Administrator

Default Shaved door locks

One thing that has always bemused me on the Fuego was that Renault went to the trouble of recessing the door handles and then put a bloody lock smack in the middle of the door.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had the door locks shaved on a car?

Advertisement

Could you tell afterwards?

How much did it cost?

I am soon to get the Fuego repainted and was thinking about getting them shaved just using a remote instead.

I was maybe going to hide an emergency cable for the rear hatch release should the battery or remote die so I can at least climb through the car and unlock it.

I have had it done in the past and best job is to weld a metal filler rather than a "plastic filler plug " . If done properly will never show and if you're repainting it's an ideal time to do it.

On my 205 I removed rear wiper / washer from rear hatch. Before filling and painting I made a pattern of where holes were located in case I want to return to original.

You could kill two birds and work out a way to key the tailgate.

That saves one trip into passing traffic every time you need to load the tailgate, and you will have a mechanical connection to the interior of the car for when the electricary lets you down.

Jo

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    You could kill two birds and work out a way to key the tailgate.

That saves one trip into passing traffic every time you need to load the tailgate, and you will have a mechanical connection to the interior of the car for when the electricary lets you down.

Jo
    I've actually got an 80lb 'popper' solenoid in the garage from my old Fuego so you could release the boot from the alarm remote.

I'll get around to fitting it to this one when I pull all the interior out for the respray.

It won't eradicate the flat battery issue of course, but I think a hidden emergency release tucked under the back of the car should be ok as the cable runs there anyway. I'm trying to remove holes, not add new ones

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

fixed the battery problem with an extra pull wire to the bonnet latch, since discovered it works rather well. Sure beats doing the contortionist trick getting the hot wire off the battery to power the door locks from outside....

However, it's not foolproof, if there is another electrical problem like a dud fuse or connector you're still locked out.

A tailgate wire pull sounds like a positive move.

cheers,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

fixed the battery problem with an extra pull wire to the bonnet latch, since discovered it works rather well. Sure beats doing the contortionist trick getting the hot wire off the battery to power the door locks from outside....

However, it's not foolproof, if there is another electrical problem like a dud fuse or connector you're still locked out.

A tailgate wire pull sounds like a positive move.

cheers,
    Bob
    Hide a feed wire to the unlock the solenoid under the car. Use a portable battery to unlock in an emergency.

Flexible cables sound like a lot of work.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Rob,

only as much "work" as absolutely necessary

cheers,
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shaved door locks-dscf0021.jpg   Shaved door locks-dscf0022.jpg   Shaved door locks-dscf0023.jpg  

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day Rob,

only as much "work" as absolutely necessary

cheers,
    Bob
    G'day,

My battery is in the boot in the little compartment under the floor.

But the problem isn't with the bonnet, as if the alarm unit fails i still wont be able to get in.

What you have done to the bonnet is similar to what i will do to the hatch though.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    G'day,

My battery is in the boot in the little compartment under the floor.

But the problem isn't with the bonnet, as if the alarm unit fails i still wont be able to get in.

What you have done to the bonnet is similar to what i will do to the hatch though.
    I guess that I could supply an expendable back for you to practice on, remember also access through the rear tail light space? in an emergency for instance, to access the "secret" hatch release cable?

The neat setup would be a keyed access via a mechanism to operate the hatch release.

My wrecks are at your service sir!!

Ken

Thread Information