205 intercooler
  • Help

Thread: 205 intercooler

Default 205 intercooler

Whos mounted an intercooler on a 205, any advice???

Advertisement
    1964 S2A LWB Landy Served in 1st ATF Vietnam
    1987 205 GTI Turbo
    2008 TE 510
    2012 Triton GLX 4x4
    2012 CX5 TT Diesel

looking at this myself. personally, to keep it road worthy and not take out lights or run it through the fog lights etc etc, i would get a shortened height radiator from spoox or baker bm, mount it as low as possible, and get an intercooler with pipes pointing upwards. then run them over the top of the radiator to the intake. i am going to move the throttle to the other side or make a custom new one, so there is only 1 pipe on either side, assuming the intake is now on the drivers side and the turbo is near where the battery was...
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crims View Post
    Whos mounted an intercooler on a 205, any advice???
    The standard cooler in the Uk they use the Cosworth 2wd or 4wd [cheap on Ebay -15 quid ]
    On my previous turbo 205...the PIG now owned by the handsome Isis on this site ran an i/c from an S15 Nissan.

I am told MR2 ones fit well too [1990 models ]
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Cheers lads, I'll pull her nose off on the weekend and start applying some of your ideas.
    1987 205 GTI Turbo
    2008 TE 510
    2012 Triton GLX 4x4
    2012 CX5 TT Diesel

Administrator

Would a W2A be a better bet if space is restricted?

That's what I think I'll go with, just looking at the PWR liquid to air barrel kits, smallest kit is good for 270hp and the barrel is only 6"x4" 290mm long, would fit just before my TB.
    I think I like the theory of the liquid to air better, can get the kit for about $1100.
    1987 205 GTI Turbo
    2008 TE 510
    2012 Triton GLX 4x4
    2012 CX5 TT Diesel

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by crims View Post
    That's what I think I'll go with, just looking at the PWR liquid to air barrel kits, smallest kit is good for 270hp and the barrel is only 6"x4" 290mm long, would fit just before my TB.
    I think I like the theory of the liquid to air better, can get the kit for about $1100.
    The PWR barrels look very restrictive to airflow and don't have a very dense fin pitch.

This is a picture from inside a PWR core -

If you can fit one in, I'd actually go for one of these - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbo-Wat...item1e64b86fd1

They have much bigger flow path and a better fin pitch.

I think the smallest one they sell is a bit longer than the smallest PWR, but from a technical point of view the would be far better at cooling and flow.

I think they'd be cheaper too...

FWIW, that same ebay seller sels barrel types that look almost identical internally to the PWR ones.

The claim a Pressure Drop of Less than 0.1 PSI for the square core and 1.1 PSI for the barrel type. I'm not sure at what pressure/CFM that is tested at but assume it's the same?

Here is a picture of the 4x6 barrel type sold by the same seller -

a silly idea, but if you had the space you should strip your AC system and have that cool your intake air, have a small evaporator in a chamber (admittedly it would be a big setup) to cool your intake air...Chilly!!

id imagine this would be more suited to really high boost v8's and drag monsters though
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

Crims, I can take better photos of my set up if that will help you.
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Yes please that would be great thanks
    1987 205 GTI Turbo
    2008 TE 510
    2012 Triton GLX 4x4
    2012 CX5 TT Diesel

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Capago View Post
    a silly idea, but if you had the space you should strip your AC system and have that cool your intake air, have a small evaporator in a chamber (admittedly it would be a big setup) to cool your intake air...Chilly!!

id imagine this would be more suited to really high boost v8's and drag monsters though
    That has been suggested by many but it doesn't really work out in an A2A application.

The evaporator required to cool 500CFM of 100 degree C air would be huge and the energy required to drive the compressor would outweigh the power gained from the lowered intake temp.

You could however theoretically run a smaller evaporator submerged in a water reservoir and use it to refrigerate the water that is then pumped through a W2A system.

You could have the A/C compressor cutting in under braking and light throttle and cutting out under boost. If used in conjunction with a normal front mounted water heat exchanger you could possibly have water below ambient most of the time.

Never seen such a system, but it might work quite well...

Thread Information