Tarox distributors/sellers in Oz
  • Help

Default Tarox distributors/sellers in Oz

Does anyone know if there are any distributors/sellers of Tarox brake components in Australia? I'm trying to compare the costs of buying locally versus buying and shipping from the UK, but I'm having all sorts of trouble finding anyone in Australia who sells the brand. Makes it hard to do a price comparison...

Advertisement
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

C4Owners.org Premier Club Member#19249
    Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    Australian Racing Drivers' Club Member
    facebook.com/cccnsw

I'm assuming you want calipers and pads - not cheaper out of Italy? I just shipped a large-ish box from near Milan priced on cubic weight; 350350175mm was $200 with Fedex.

Wilwood have some stuff which looks pretty good value, but their cataloguing is almost impenetrable! An e-commerce fail.

Looking at discs, pads and braided lines. Can get them fairly cheaply from the UK, but shipping is not cheap. I'm thinking it will still end up cheaper than buying direct from Australia, but I was hoping to validate that assumption.
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    facebook.com/cccnsw

Ouch; easy to see how you could burn almost a thou buying and freighting over F&R discs alone.

I've been quoted front and rear "G88" discs, front and rear "Strada" pads and 4 (braided) line kit for just over 450 quid so it's actually a bloody good deal. The only thing that could kill it is the shipping cost.

facebook.com/cccnsw

it's actually a bloody good deal
    For that brand of product; great price.

My last heavy parcel (14kg of calipers and bushings) from the UK was last week; UPS with one of those "Express Saver" options that sees it do a lap of the world in cargo planes, was 67.31 booked through P2G. If my mate had chipped off the rust first I swear it'd be 3kg lighter.

That's certainly good to know. I have absolutely no idea how much the 4 discs + pads + lines would weigh so I'm a bit in the dark for estimating my shipping costs.

facebook.com/cccnsw

607 front rotors, which measure 33028mm are a shade under 11kg each, undrilled/unslotted.

Xantia rear rotors, solid 25012mm are just over 4kg each. Hopefully these will give some indication of where your gross weight is going. A quick whizz through P2G suggests all in you might pay 180 freight.

That means your landed cost is around $250/corner; cheaper than many tyres...

Appreciate the examples. I've also been looking at the P2G site and am working on roughly 40kg total weight. Doing my best to keep the total cost under $1000 (for obvious reasons). Thinking it might be cheaper to organise multiple smaller/lighter boxes as part of the same order. A very rough estimate on the P2G site does seem to back this theory up.

facebook.com/cccnsw

I try to keep each parcel under 20kg; over that weight you sometimes run into jobsworths like the bloke who made me come and help carry a box of driveshafts up from his van.

Plus the risk of bits bashing into each other during "normal handling" is better controlled that way. Duty is applied to the net goods cost, so long as the invoice is outside the boxes, and very clear about contents vs freight you'll be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Duty is applied to the net goods cost, so long as the invoice is outside the boxes, and very clear about contents vs freight you'll be sweet.
    Now there's an interesting comment. I was under the impression that duties and GST were charged on the goods plus shipping cost rather than just the goods alone. Am I to understand correctly now that it is only calculated on the goods cost (assuming the total cost of goods is over $1000)?

facebook.com/cccnsw

I am not sure, when the net value is over $1K if duty is then applied to both elements - Customs' website is not 100% clear as they speak of both declared value and assessed (by them - how?) value. You have to pay also a lodgement fee at $48-something if DIY'ing the import, and possibly a release fee of about $10.

However in a recent enough episode, a German origin parcel was pinged because they in Oz didn't read the invoice properly. €742 in goods, the next €125 was freight. I emailed these faceless cowboys a copy of the shipping invoice/declaration and the parcel was released without any further correspondence. At 450 goods value, you have nothing to worry about.

Try these guys I got my Bilstein setup from them and including shipping the price nearly 1/2 of what would of paid here in Oz. http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?session=831689135

Quote Originally Posted by runabout View Post
    Try these guys I got my Bilstein setup from them and including shipping the price nearly 1/2 of what would of paid here in Oz. http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?session=831689135
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did take a look at Larkspeed, but their pricing doesn't stack up compared to I've been quoted. E.g., Larkspeed want 242 and 322 for front and rear discs respectively. I'm being quoted 140 and 180 respectively.

facebook.com/cccnsw

1000+ Posts

There is a Dealer in Melbourne [try Google ]....his name escapes me at the mo but i know they sell heaps of brakes for race cars etc and many other brands.

I have a receipt from them somewhere... if i find it i'll post up. :}
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Thanks for the info. I've not had much luck with finding any Aussie sellers through Google searches. Came across a reference to one in Melbourne but the reference was about 10 years old and it appears the business is no more.

It's looking more and more like I'll end up buying from the UK. Tend to think it will end up being cheaper in any case.

facebook.com/cccnsw

1000+ Posts

Try NZ
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. 205 GTi , Megane R26 LY , Megane 225 [modded ]

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

Fellow Frogger!

I just bought some brembo max discs for my 306 and paid 103 pounds delivered .... Obviously 1 pair for the front ... apmotorstore.co.uk....

Freight was 39 .... Took less than a week to get here via fed ex ..
    Last edited by LeStig; 10th July 2012 at 02:39 PM.

Thread Information